Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 58

Thread: Travel pillows?

  1. #16
    Forum Member bermudajes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Share
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    449
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I swear by my Travelrest! I bought it for a transatlantic flight a couple years ago and it did not disappoint. Between that and a huge circle scarf (that I used as a blanket), I was set for eight hours of air travel. I've never been able to get comfortable with any other travel pillow. It's easy enough to inflate and deflate, and takes up so little room.
    kindness is contagious.

  2. #17
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    556
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm always a bit worried about the inflating part. I'm not in ill health or anything but I wonder how hard it is to blow these things up. Thanks for the tip--I'm going to add it to my Amazon wish list.


    Quote Originally Posted by bermudajes View Post
    I swear by my Travelrest! I bought it for a transatlantic flight a couple years ago and it did not disappoint. Between that and a huge circle scarf (that I used as a blanket), I was set for eight hours of air travel. I've never been able to get comfortable with any other travel pillow. It's easy enough to inflate and deflate, and takes up so little room.

  3. #18
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Share
    Seattle
    Posts
    581
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bermudajes View Post
    I swear by my Travelrest! I bought it for a transatlantic flight a couple years ago and it did not disappoint. Between that and a huge circle scarf (that I used as a blanket), I was set for eight hours of air travel. I've never been able to get comfortable with any other travel pillow. It's easy enough to inflate and deflate, and takes up so little room.
    I need to take my Travelrest on my next flight. I picked it up after my last cross-country trip, and have been on such short flights since that it wasn't worth sleeping.

    In addition to the inflatable pillow, I have the Travelrest poncho blanket which folds up into a pillow. I've been taking THAT with me, because it is a handy pillow on planes (I always have a window seat, so I just lean against the wall) plus the blanket is nice for cold hotel rooms. And when folded up, there's a strap to attach it to luggage so I just hook it to the grab handle of my mini rolling suitcase.* I've never had any trouble with the "mini-suitcase with pillow plus small personal item" when boarding the plane.

    *I love my TB bags, but when trekking through airports I generally use a carry-on sized rolling bag instead, either with or without an additional small bag as a personal item/in-flight bag.
    Rambling On. . . . .

  4. #19
    Forum Member bermudajes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Share
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    449
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964 View Post
    I'm always a bit worried about the inflating part. I'm not in ill health or anything but I wonder how hard it is to blow these things up. Thanks for the tip--I'm going to add it to my Amazon wish list.
    I'm a shallow breather and get easily winded, and I have no problem with inflating it. If I recall correctly, it took maybe a minute or two.
    kindness is contagious.

  5. #20
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Share
    Alaska
    Posts
    543
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings Ladyinblack1964,
    I've tried quite a few inflatable pillows, an inflatable foot rest, and air mattresses for camping. Most were easy to inflate, although the air mattresses do take a while and I tend to get a bit light headed if I try to rush it.

    There have been some improvements since inflatable pillows were invented. Better valves, better comfort. On a few models, I could only inflate the pillow if I was biting the valve at the same time. The valve looked like a typical beach ball valve, but had an invisible safety device designed to prevent unintended deflation. Getting it inflated was easy once you realized this, but the instructions neglected to inform the consumer.

    The problem I've had is with deflating pillows on a plane. When they first came out with inflatable pillows, they didn't make them easy to deflate. Now most pillows have a valve that allows quick deflating. Test both inflating and deflating before your trip.

    Later this week, I'll see if I can locate my collection of inflatable pillows and share my observations about each brand/style. elisa

  6. #21
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    394
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isn't exactly a pillow but I've found the Embrace neck collar to be my best friend on long haul flights. It's like a cut-down version of a cervical neck collar, made of memory foam with a washable, breathable black cover. It's fully adjustable to your neck size because of its wide Velcro closure. It will support your head in an upright position and avoids the dreaded jerked-awake-when-your-head-drops syndrome. My only complaint is that it can be a little warm if the plane is overheated. But overall I like it because it's lightweight, tucks neatly into a corner of my bag, and can be worn strapped around an upper arm or lower leg while bordering the plane (if you really don't have the space in the bag for it.)
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

  7. #22
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    556
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just checking back in to see if you've had a chance to check out your pillows.

    In the meantime, I have heard good things about this one:

    Amazon.com : Therm-a-Rest Compressible Pillow : Sports & Outdoors

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings Ladyinblack1964,
    I've tried quite a few inflatable pillows, an inflatable foot rest, and air mattresses for camping. Most were easy to inflate, although the air mattresses do take a while and I tend to get a bit light headed if I try to rush it.

    There have been some improvements since inflatable pillows were invented. Better valves, better comfort. On a few models, I could only inflate the pillow if I was biting the valve at the same time. The valve looked like a typical beach ball valve, but had an invisible safety device designed to prevent unintended deflation. Getting it inflated was easy once you realized this, but the instructions neglected to inform the consumer.

    The problem I've had is with deflating pillows on a plane. When they first came out with inflatable pillows, they didn't make them easy to deflate. Now most pillows have a valve that allows quick deflating. Test both inflating and deflating before your trip.

    Later this week, I'll see if I can locate my collection of inflatable pillows and share my observations about each brand/style. elisa

  8. #23
    Forum Member bchaplin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,907
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ladyinblack1964, I think I have that pillow. I got it from REI. It is more comfortable than the ones filled with air, but it doesn't compress very well. I've pretty much given up taking pillows because they take up so much space.

    The most workable thing I have is a stuff sack that has fleece on the inside, so when it is turned inside out and filled with clothes, it is a pillow, but otherwise it packs up very small. That was also from REI, and if I have a window seat on a plane it does help me sleep.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

  9. #24
    Forum Member brucep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Share
    USA
    Posts
    239
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I've pretty much given up taking pillows because they take up so much space.
    I still have a standard neck pillow in the closet, which has gotten a lot of good use in the past, but now I don't want to waste space on it.


    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    The most workable thing I have is a stuff sack that has fleece on the inside, so when it is turned inside out and filled with clothes, it is a pillow, but otherwise it packs up very small. That was also from REI, and if I have a window seat on a plane it does help me sleep.
    I tried one of these and didn't like it, but I can see it being useful here (an improvement on just using a jacket, etc.).

    I bought a Sea to Summit Aeros Premium (Large) instead. There's also a Traveler version by the same brand, but I haven't tried it.

  10. #25
    Forum Member kathryn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Share
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    579
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @brucep I have considered that Sea to Summit pillow for both travel and camping/backpacking. Do you like it?

    I'm really conflicted about travel pillows of any kind, because I hate taking up the extra space. (Of course, I see people at the airport all the time lugging full sized bed pillows atop clearly oversized roll aboard bags, so it could be worse.)

  11. #26
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Share
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    126
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    I've found the Travelrest to be the best for airplane sleeping[/url]
    Along those lines, a long time ago I bought a Bucky Baxter as a general pillow, not as a back support. It goes everywhere with me when I travel.
    Blue Parapack Brain Bag with Brain Cell

  12. #27
    Forum Member brucep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Share
    USA
    Posts
    239
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    @brucep I have considered that Sea to Summit pillow for both travel and camping/backpacking. Do you like it?
    I do. I bought it (on sale) for my first overnight backpacking trip last year. I only had my 20L daypack available — so I stored the pillow inside my mug! As a side sleeper, I like that it has slightly more (potential) thickness than other options. I really like the slight padding on the top surface.

    On car trips, I've always brought my own pillow from home; now I plan on taking the StS pillow instead (I'm definitely taking it to the hospital when we have our 2nd child).

  13. #28
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    556
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more I think about it, the less inclined I am to spend $30+ on something I might never use again. I don't travel much (can't afford it) so I may have to pass.

  14. #29
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a cotton u-pillow cover at Bed Bath and Beyond. Just the cover, $6. I live in Boston, and even in the summer am generally travelling with a light down-filled jacket (I'll layer it under a hard shell in the winter). Unzip the cover, shove the arms down into the U, and kinda roll/ push the rest in. Can take the jacket out on arrival, toss the cover in the pocket, good to go.

  15. #30
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Share
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    169
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a gift certificate from Amazon, so sprung for the Trtl pillow. Haven't tried it on a plane yet, but it worked wonderfully well when I tried it out sitting in a chair at home. I will give a trip report in a few months after I have had a chance to try it out on my hellishly long flights to and from South Africa.
    Owner of Aeronaut 45, Aubergine/Wasabi; MCB, Plum; Travel Trays, Wasabi, NW Sky & Zest; PCSB, Iberian; PCBP, Steel, black dyneema CP & Pilot

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •