Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Travel pillows?

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welp, I pulled the trigger on a Sea to Summit Aeros Pillow Premium at Canoecopia the weekend before last. I haven't taken it on true travel yet, but was able to test it out with a nap on the car ride home from the show. I really like it so far, for a few reasons:

• It's tiny--deflated, it can fit in my hand.
    • It's really light--2.8 oz (79.4g) per the specs
    • The material covering it is soft and comfy
    • It takes about 3 breaths and a few seconds to inflate, and deflation is almost instantaneous

For backpacking and long plane flights, I think it will be great.

(P.S. I am sad to report I saw ZERO TB bags at Canoecopia Where were all you guys?!)
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know one thing: I can't do one of those horseshoe-shaped pillows. I tried one in the living room the other night and it triggered a semi-panicky reaction in me. I don't like having things tightly around my neck. This one was made of memory foam and was also making me sweaty.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought this for my home bed:
    TEMPUR-Cloud Soft & Lofty Pillow | Relax The Back

but found there were too many "microcushions" in the pillow so I made a second one from the extra. I don't usually take it on planes but throw it in the car when I drive.

In preparation for my long international flight just today I went to a store and bought a 15" x 9" pillow, removed the cheap guts, and filled it with my "microcushions." It compresses fairly well and will have an honored home in my new, still waiting for NFTD!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lenalvsTB View Post
    I bought this for my home bed:
    TEMPUR-Cloud Soft & Lofty Pillow | Relax The Back

but found there were too many "microcushions" in the pillow so I made a second one from the extra. I don't usually take it on planes but throw it in the car when I drive.

In preparation for my long international flight just today I went to a store and bought a 15" x 9" pillow, removed the cheap guts, and filled it with my "microcushions." It compresses fairly well and will have an honored home in my new, still waiting for NFTD!
    @lenalvsTB, Just curious whether you also read @catherder's recent Business overnight with a Pilot, where one of her requirements was carrying a Tempurpedic pillow rolled up in one of the compartments. (This was the Tempurpedic NeckPillow-Travel in her case.)

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an interesting thread, thanks! There was a reference to an "Eagle Creek Specter compression half-cube" I'll have to see if I can get one of those.

My pillow is like a "mini-me" of my home pillow and helps me sleep better on the road. We'll see how well it does on a plane.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trtl all the way down

I tried one of the Trtl pillows last year for a long-haul flight -- it worked surprisingly well! My biggest plane-sleeping problem seems to be my head falling forward, and the Trtl created a reasonably comfortable sling for my sleep-heavy head. I've tried the U-inflatables of many brands, and don't do well with them since my head just falls forward between the "arms" of the U. The Cabeau "Air Evolution" inflatable was the next best to the Trtl, since it can be turned around and secured so that the U "arms" are pointing backwards. I also tried the "Nap Anywhere" pillow on several long-hauls, but I couldn't get it to stay secured to my body, so when I fell asleep the brace would slip due to the weight of my head. I have a small ribcage (27-28 in.) so perhaps the elastic strap to secure the device was not meant for my size, however, my impression was that tightening the elastic would have felt uncomfortably binding. I didn't personally have the best luck with the Travelrest, as I found my head to still roll forward towards my chest, along the linear pillow.

The Trtl, being a scarf design by necessity, can be very warm -- a good thing for me (always cold on planes), but some people who sleep hot may find this bothersome. Due to its mechanism, there is no way to segregate the scarf function from the neck-brace function. Also, the brace is only on one side, so one has to choose which side one wants to sleep on. To change sides, the scarf would need to be unfurled and remounted in the reverse orientation. The other downside I can think of is that the Trtl is not the easiest to pack -- while it is lightweight, the brace cannot be compressed and so it remains a very 3-D object even when not in use; it's kind of like a corner L-bracket that has been curved along the crease. For what it's worth, the Trtl fits pretty well in a PCSB with one of the sides of this "L" parallel to the bottom of the bag, with other in-flight stuff placed on top. Getting it out is not a simple maneuver, but it does work with the PCSB as in-flight seat-pocket setup. The aforementioned Nap Anywhere pillow can be stored as a flat disc, but that disc is far too large to fit in the PCSB.

I plan on sticking with the Trtl -- it's the most comfortable I've tried so far -- but on very space-limited trips I'll probably take the Cabeau "Air Evolution".

Northern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, here's something I can contribute as a light-packing tip!

If you'd like a travel neck pillow but don't really care for the inflatable type, and don't want to carry an extra item on your trip, consider getting a neck pillow CASE. Then stuff it with your down jacket, airplane blanket, your sweater, or anything else that will fit!

Bedding Essentials? Cotton Dobby U-Neck Pillow Protector - BedBathandBeyond.com

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried probably a dozen different pillows - some cheap ones from the airport, some pricey and well-reviewed. Most of them I only used once or twice. The only one I use anymore is my Lug Nap Sac:

Amazon.com: Lug Nap Sac Blanket and Pillow, Plum Purple: Health & Personal Care

It's an inflatable pillow and blanket combo. The blanket and the inflatable insert store inside the "pillowcase," which is made of a sort of fleecy fabric, which is really comfortable to sleep on. There is a U-shaped version, but I use the rectangular one. I usually lightly inflate the insert to use as lumbar support and rest my head on the blanket, but I have used the blanket as a wrap, too.

It is NOT ultralight or super-compact (although it's not really super-heavy and you could probably compress it in a stuff sack) but it + noise-canceling earbuds + my wool Buff used as a sleeping mask is the only way I ever get any sleep on airplanes.

Since I travel with my Smart Alec most of the time, I generally stuff it in the bungee and grab it before I stow in the overhead bin.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I bought a Travel Rest pillow after reading numerous positive reviews and have to say that I've been quite pleased with it for air and car travel. Amazon.com: Travelrest - Ultimate Travel Pillow (BEWARE of Counterfeits) Lean Into It & Sleep! Ergonomic, Innovative & Patented - BEST Travel Pillow for Airplanes, Cars, Buses, Trains, Office Napping, Camping, Wheelchairs & Home (Ranked #1 by WSJ): H.

I'd recommend also investing in the removable velour cover for comfort and sanitary purposes. Amazon.com: Travelrest COVER - Luxurious Velour with Memory Foam Inserts: Sports & Outdoors

It easily inflates in deflates in a few breathes, is super lightweight, and it's tiny roll-up footprint takes up minimal room whether inside or attached to the outside of your bag. I bought mine in 2014 and it's still going strong. It does have a rather unconventional shape compared to other pillows so be prepared to get some strange looks from your neighbors.

To give you an idea of it's small size, the pillow fits inside every pocket of the S19 except the shallow top center pocket that's sized for a phone, etc...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    Welp, I pulled the trigger on a Sea to Summit Aeros Pillow Premium at Canoecopia the weekend before last. I haven't taken it on true travel yet, but was able to test it out with a nap on the car ride home from the show. I really like it so far, for a few reasons:

• It's tiny--deflated, it can fit in my hand.
    • It's really light--2.8 oz (79.4g) per the specs
    • The material covering it is soft and comfy
    • It takes about 3 breaths and a few seconds to inflate, and deflation is almost instantaneous

For backpacking and long plane flights, I think it will be great.

(P.S. I am sad to report I saw ZERO TB bags at Canoecopia Where were all you guys?!)
    Have you had a change to try out the pillow? I almost bought one today at REI but it seemed like it might be noisy. Do you notice any noise when using the pillow. Thanks for the input.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy G View Post
    Have you had a change to try out the pillow? I almost bought one today at REI but it seemed like it might be noisy. Do you notice any noise when using the pillow. Thanks for the input.
    I haven't, yet, except for briefly in the car. It didn't seem too noisy them, but it was such a short nap. Travel pillows?

My next long plane flight isn't until July. I'll use it then for sure, but may not have a chance before then.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

NoVA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bringing this zombie thread back from the dead.

Did you ever figure out how to pack this "pillow" better?

I just bought and used it on a long haul, red eye flight and it was amazing. However, like you said, packing it was a real bear.

Quote Originally Posted by yeti View Post
    I tried one of the Trtl pillows last year for a long-haul flight -- it worked surprisingly well! My biggest plane-sleeping problem seems to be my head falling forward, and the Trtl created a reasonably comfortable sling for my sleep-heavy head. I've tried the U-inflatables of many brands, and don't do well with them since my head just falls forward between the "arms" of the U. The Cabeau "Air Evolution" inflatable was the next best to the Trtl, since it can be turned around and secured so that the U "arms" are pointing backwards. I also tried the "Nap Anywhere" pillow on several long-hauls, but I couldn't get it to stay secured to my body, so when I fell asleep the brace would slip due to the weight of my head. I have a small ribcage (27-28 in.) so perhaps the elastic strap to secure the device was not meant for my size, however, my impression was that tightening the elastic would have felt uncomfortably binding. I didn't personally have the best luck with the Travelrest, as I found my head to still roll forward towards my chest, along the linear pillow.

The Trtl, being a scarf design by necessity, can be very warm -- a good thing for me (always cold on planes), but some people who sleep hot may find this bothersome. Due to its mechanism, there is no way to segregate the scarf function from the neck-brace function. Also, the brace is only on one side, so one has to choose which side one wants to sleep on. To change sides, the scarf would need to be unfurled and remounted in the reverse orientation. The other downside I can think of is that the Trtl is not the easiest to pack -- while it is lightweight, the brace cannot be compressed and so it remains a very 3-D object even when not in use; it's kind of like a corner L-bracket that has been curved along the crease. For what it's worth, the Trtl fits pretty well in a PCSB with one of the sides of this "L" parallel to the bottom of the bag, with other in-flight stuff placed on top. Getting it out is not a simple maneuver, but it does work with the PCSB as in-flight seat-pocket setup. The aforementioned Nap Anywhere pillow can be stored as a flat disc, but that disc is far too large to fit in the PCSB.

I plan on sticking with the Trtl -- it's the most comfortable I've tried so far -- but on very space-limited trips I'll probably take the Cabeau "Air Evolution".
    Virtus junxit, mors non separabit.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe we can try to revive this thread once again.

I normally travel with the Sea to Summit Aeros Traveler Ultralight pillow. It's an inflatable horseshoe pillow that packs down to about the size of a tangerine. I like it, but because it doesn't have a closure it sometimes slips out of place and doesn't do the job of propping up my neck.

However, in my never-ending quest to improve things, I picked up the regular, pillow-shaped pillow of the same from Sea to Summit and the Tom Bihn Pocket Travel Pillow, neither of which I've been able to give a fair shake yet. I think that the pillow shape of the Aeros Ultralight will be easier to jam into a nook on a plane or train if I have a window seat, plus double as a camping pillow, and the Pocket Travel Pillow will solve the issue of the inflatables being too lightweight but adds the extra complication of having to slide my jacket out of my pack.

That Trtl pillow-scarf sounds very promising, and my SO loves the inflatable ostrich pillow (but it's very, very bulky), but I'm wondering what other TBers have tried and liked (or disliked)!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If my flight is early morning, late at night, or red-eye, I bring a Bucky mini pillow:

https://www.amazon.com/Bucky-Natural.../dp/B001G8SBF6

It's just the right size to support sitting with my head straight back or at a slight angle to either side... on 'normal' full horseshoe shaped pillows, most of the legs of the pillow is never used...
    Since it's basically a beanbag, I haven't had a big issue with it falling out of position... it's pretty small and fits into the top curved area of a backpack or into the outside lash/cinch area...

I do have the TB pillow cover and used it for the first time last week... I stuffed a fleece into it and it helped bridge the gap between the side of the plane at a window seat and my head... It would be better with a puffy jacket or vest, as fleece isn't really very cushy once you fold it. It is slippery and that may cause some people some issues.

On every flight I bring a cylindrical lumbar pillow because I am short and don't seem to fit into airline seats correctly...
    https://www.amazon.com/Original-McKe...%2Bpillow&th=1

I removed the strap and actually use it vertically most of the time.
    This pillow is bigger and harder to pack, but I've found it fits into the outside lash/cinch area on the Smart Alec just fine, if my bag is too full...

Last week when I flew for a 4 day trip, I had plenty of space in the SA to fit both pillows. Right before boarding I took them out and put them into a SSB along with my water & Kindle so they could go under the seat whilst the SA went overhead. After the flight I popped them back in and was off with just the SA on my back and hands free.
    Last edited by G42; 04-03-2018 at 12:50 PM.

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    On every flight I bring a cylindrical lumbar pillow because I am short and don't seem to fit into airline seats correctly...
    I don't think anyone fits in airline seats correctly. Short, tall, average, skinny, fat, nobody.
    Seats are designed to fit the maximum number of people in a space, not for human comfort.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast