Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Travel pillows?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel pillows?

I'm talking about the sort you use on the airplane. I've heard they're a waste of money; others swear by them.

What do you think? Is it just extra weight in your bag? Can you recommend a brand? Thanks!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every one I've tried has been terrible and a waste of space. I find that (for long flights) rolling up the blanket works a lot better. Alternatively, most long-haul flights how have adjustable headrests which work decently. I've always been desperate for something that lets me sleep on a plane, but I've come to the conclusion that shear exhaustion is the only approach.

I hope someone will prove me wrong, though!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a no name inflatable travel pillow. It's not the most comfortable thing, but it works wonders, when I sleep without a wall nearby (middle seat is the worst), so my neck doesn't hurt afterwards and I sleep better, because my head doesn't move that much. It doesn't need a lot of space, so for me it's worth it.

I'm interested in other opinions, maybe for non inflatable versions.

Also, waiting for the TB travel pillow case. Travel pillows?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wolpertinger View Post
    Also, waiting for the TB travel pillow case. Travel pillows?
    Same here! I don't travel with my own pillow now, but I like the idea of build your own as needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.Ē ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried many travel pillows over the decades and they have all failed in some way. I'm too short for the adjustable headrests. Given that I travel long haul (over 12 hours) at least 2 times a year (lord help me 6 times this year!), I was pleased to finally find a pillow that works for me.

Not cheap, but it does squish down and comes in its own packing bag.

https://www.cabeau.com/products/evol...l-neck-pillow/

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestion for the cabeau pillow. I've always had the same problem with travel pillows. I absolutely can not sleep sitting up without one, so I may check it out.
    Owner of Aeronaut 45, Aubergine/Wasabi; MCB, Plum; Travel Trays, Wasabi, NW Sky & Zest; PCSB, Iberian; PCBP, Steel, black dyneema CP & Pilot

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I have not used it on a flight yet, I picked up this one, and it seems comfortable:

Amazon.com - Travelrest - The Ultimate Travel & Neck Pillow - Full Lateral Support - LEAN INTO IT - Great For Side Sleepers (Airplanes, Cars, Buses, Trains, Office Napping, Camping, Wheelchairs, Airports) Ranked #1 by WSJ -

The nice thing is that since it is inflatable, it rolls up super small.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my last long haul, I used the blanket as a makeshift neckpillow by turning it into a scarf and tucking the long ends under my arms. I used the "loop and thread" version of a scarf, not the "wrap." It actually worked pretty well.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fly Australia to UK every year and have tried many travel pillows ... but they always end up on the floor as I find the adjustable headrest offers the best support for me (5ft 5).

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggy'sMom View Post
    I've tried many travel pillows over the decades and they have all failed in some way. I'm too short for the adjustable headrests. Given that I travel long haul (over 12 hours) at least 2 times a year (lord help me 6 times this year!), I was pleased to finally find a pillow that works for me.

Not cheap, but it does squish down and comes in its own packing bag.

https://www.cabeau.com/products/evol...l-neck-pillow/
    +1 I bought one in the airport on my last trip. It was $30 in an electronics store vs $35 at the news stands and bookstores. It definitely worked better than anything I've tried including my arm, a travel pillow, my jackets. Kept my head from bobbing when I fell asleep therefore I stayed asleep. I stuff it under the grab loops on my WF or S19 when I need to port it around. It can be a bit warm but it works so I'm happy with it.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would love to see a post trip report on this!

Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    While I have not used it on a flight yet, I picked up this one, and it seems comfortable:

Amazon.com - Travelrest - The Ultimate Travel & Neck Pillow - Full Lateral Support - LEAN INTO IT - Great For Side Sleepers (Airplanes, Cars, Buses, Trains, Office Napping, Camping, Wheelchairs, Airports) Ranked #1 by WSJ -

The nice thing is that since it is inflatable, it rolls up super small.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Bucky one that is totally worth the weight. I only take it on long haul flights (4+ hrs) bc it takes me a long time to sack out on a plane, but it does help immensely. I like that it is firm, relatively small, and once you get the hulls inside squished how you want them, it generally stays that way (I also usually slip it in a scarf looped around my neck to help it stay put).

I am of fairly average height, but since my height's nearly all in my legs, I have a fairly short torso. most adjustable headrests hit me at a weird point, pushing my head forward in a manner that gets uncomfortable after a while. I can tolerate it for a while but after two hours or so, my neck is just like NOPE. cars, planes, trains, same problem.

my other half is also a fan of this pillow, despite being tall enough that seat headrests actually fit as they are intended to. I have had to thwart a couple attempts to "permanently borrow" it, heh

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard good things about the Cabeau as well. I will probably get one for my husband to try out, but I recently purchased the Trtl Pillow for myself for an upcoming trip. It is less pillowy, and more focused on adjustable head/neck support. The concept intrigued me since the other pillows I had looked at all seemed to be lacking features that I would actually find useful. So far I have only tested it out sitting on my own couch, but I found it to be pretty comfortable. It is designed kind of as a scarf with a built in support system that is adjustable to support either side of your head, but it can also go directly under your chin if you tend to tip your head forward. It is also compact, lightweight, and machine washable. Note: The Trtl company is based in the UK. I only mention this because I know some folks may only be interested in items made in the USA.

I will report back after my trip as to my own review of the Trtl Pillow, but are links to more info if anyone is interested:
    Trtl Pillow - The Travel Pillow. Reinvented.
    Amazon.com - Trtl Pillow - Scientifically Proven Super Soft Neck Support Travel Pillow - Machine Washable Black -

Travel pillows?-hair-black-jpg
    (Photo Credit: Trtl Website)

Also, I am still pretty new to the Forums. I hope this post makes sense and that all of the links work. If not, I will try to fix them. Thanks for your patience!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found the Travelrest to be the best for airplane sleeping, especially if you are stuck in a middle seat. I pack it on every international trip. It's not perfect: my head still falls forward sometimes if the seat is too upright, but I like how it's easy and comfortable to hold because it's long, and I like how tiny it rolls up.

On an unrelated note, I would love to see someone put together a blog post of all the ridiculously dorky airplane pillows.
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm under 5 feet and airplane headrests that jut out of the seat are the bane of my existence. Used to spend 16-hour flights completely awake until I started taking sleeping meds this past year. Could never get comfortable with a travel pillow, either, so I'm definitely keeping an eye on this thread.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast