1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @badger Badger! Desert boots brand? I've been trying to look for desert boots this past year and seem to have no luck
    Black/Northwest Sky Western Flyer

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @polarium

Those are J. Crew McAlister boots. I've had them for at least five or six years and they've held up very well. They come in unisex sizes.

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...in-suede/79438

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weekend trip to New Orleans

Last weekend we took a 10-hour drive down the road to New Orleans to stroll around, take in some sights, and go to a concert. Unbeknownst to us until literally the day before we left, our trip also coincided with NOLA Pride.

This time around I used a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Travel Tray, and Mini Organizer Pouch (all in Fjord) to contain the following in my Synapse 25:

Synapse 25 kitted for summer travel-img_7215-copy-jpg

PCSB: 2 pairs each of socks n' jocks, athletic shorts, a tank top, two T-shirts, and a polo shirt.

Synapse 25 kitted for summer travel-img_7214-copy-jpg

TT: glasses/sunglasses cases, contact cleaner, moisturizer, a hair tie, vitamins/meds, toothpaste, eye drops, contact case, tweezers, spare contacts, floss, saline spray, antiperspirant, toothbrush, comb, 4 q-tips, and (for some inexplicable reason) my phone charger.

Synapse 25 kitted for summer travel-img_7211-copy-jpg

Other stuff I brought: a rain jacket, khaki shorts, a hat, earbuds, the strap for the PCSB, a pen, lip balm, a giant bottle of all-in-one shower gel I'm trying (without much success) to use up, hand sanitizer, Advil, 1st aid kit in mini clear OP, Kleenex, Field Notes, emergency Clif Bar, multitool, pocket knife. Also pictured is the Mini OP containing an extra battery, cable, and mini flashlight.

Synapse 25 kitted for summer travel-img_1474-copy-jpg

I also brought along a Moveable Feast, which held car snacks, bottled water, and beverages to keep cold in the hotel room fridge.

There was a bit of rain so I used the S25 as my day bag to hold rain jackets, water, and all the other odds and ends. Having a backpack ended up not being the best thing because security was high and a lot of the bars weren't allowing packs inside. Thank goodness one can drink on the street.

Synapse 25 kitted for summer travel-img_7223-copy-jpg

S25 at Felix's

Synapse 25 kitted for summer travel-img_7224-2-copy-jpg

Bourbon Street

Synapse 25 kitted for summer travel-img_7225-copy-jpg

House of Blues

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    omg, HOW did you get everything into the Synapse 25 for your "another weekend in Chicago?" I'm looking at the photo of the jeans and the desert boots and I'm thinking you put an extendable charm on the Synapse?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    omg, HOW did you get everything into the Synapse 25 for your "another weekend in Chicago?" I'm looking at the photo of the jeans and the desert boots and I'm thinking you put an extendable charm on the Synapse?
    I apologize—I just saw this now. To answer your question, everything fit easily with room to spare. I put the jeans, both belts, and maybe a couple other things into the Small A430 packing cube, and the boots got thrown into a plastic bag (keep in mind, too, that I'm a Euro size 40, which is rather on the diminutive side). Basically, the Synapse is significantly deeper at the bottom so I make sure I exploit that depth as much as possible.

Another thing: the more I pack into a specific bag, the better I get at it. I can fit insane amounts of stuff into the Synapse, Aeronaut, and Daylight Backpack, but I'm still very much on the learning curve of the Tri-Star and Night Flight, among others.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What packing cubes are these? I'm looking at getting some when I purchase my Synapse.

Thanks,

kirbysgirl

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOVE your Fjord accessories! I'm bummed that I only discovered TB after it was discontinued.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirbysgirl View Post
    What packing cubes are these? I'm looking at getting some when I purchase my Synapse.

Thanks,

kirbysgirl
    Scroll up to the first post, everything is listed there. The packing cubes are Aeronaut 30 cubes.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Scroll up to the first post, everything is listed there. The packing cubes are Aeronaut 30 cubes.
    It's probably worth adding a few comments in answer to @kirbysgirl question about the Aether Packing Cubes that @Badger showed in this post. These are, indeed, Aeronaut 30 Packing Cubes, but at the time this post was made in May 2016, it was just shortly after the initial introduction of Aether Packing Cubes (March 29, 2016 Blog Post).

Consequently, there are a few differences between the packing cubes that are shown in the pictures and the current Aeronaut 30 Packing Cubes.

• The Large and Small Aeronaut 30 Packing Cubes now offered both have mesh of the outside -- while in @Badger's pictures, they are all fabric (Aether). The Aeronaut Aether end cubes remain all fabric in both the original and current releases.

Previous version of Large Aeronaut 30 Aether Packing Cube in Carbon:
    Synapse 25 kitted for summer travel-tb0936-ce-jpg

Current version of Large Aeronaut 30 Aether Packing Cube in Carbon:
    Synapse 25 kitted for summer travel-a30largecarbon2-jpg

Previous version of the Small Aeronaut 30 Aether Packing Cube in Carbon:
    Synapse 25 kitted for summer travel-tb0933-ce_1024x1024-jpg

Current version of the Small Aeronaut 30 Aether Packing Cube in Carbon:
    Synapse 25 kitted for summer travel-a30smallcarbon2_1024x1024-jpg

See the March 13, 2018 post (#9) in the Recently Retired and Soon-To-Be Retired Designs thread for details. I'll excerpt a relevant section:

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewR View Post
    03/14/2018 Update
    Changes Edition

Hey y'all! We've introduced new versions of our Packing Cubes for the Aeronaut 45, Aeronaut 30, Tri-Star and Western Flyer. You can read all about it here: New Packing Cubes.

We’ve also written a post that answers some frequently asked questions about Packing Cubes in general. Read it here: Packing Cubes: Frequently Asked Questions

Finally, we've also decided to retire several existing sizes of Packing Cubes. You can read about that here, as well as our recommendations for alternative packing cubes and organizational solutions for those bags.

Now Retired

… [various packing cubes in both Halcyon and Aether for a range of different bags]

Soon to be Retired

(2017 & Before) Aeronaut 30 Aether Packing Cubes (Small Violet)
    (2017 & Before) Aeronaut 45 Aether Packing Cubes (Small Carbon, End Pocket Wasabi & Violet, All Large)
    Hero's Journey Packing Cubes (All Colors]
    Yeoman Packing Cubes (Mini Wasabi & Violet, Small Violet, Medium Violet)
    Stowaway Pacing Cubes (Violet)
    At the time of this post, there are only a few Large Wasabi A30 Aether Packing Cubes left in the original all-fabric design.

It's also worth pointing out, that according to the 4-04-2018 post in the Color List + News thread, Carbon 120 Aether has been retired. Again, I'll excerpt the relevant part of this post:

So, an additional comment is that the Carbon Aether colors of packing cubes used by @Badger in her post are now retired, although it's still possible to order some of these.

• Finally, I'll just add that a new option for the Small and Large Aeronaut 30 Packing Cubes, introduced on March 14, 2018, was the Laundry Packing Cube. These are varieties of the Large and Small Packing Cubes with a divided partition, that allows you to use the cube for clean and dirty closes.

HTH

moriond

ETA: The distinction between the Small and End Packing Cubes is the depth of the cube, and the fact that the deeper Small Packing Cubes have the zipper placed near one end, rather than in the center. This makes it easier to pack items to the depth of the cube without having them fall out when the zipper is open. See the Small Packing Cubes vs End Pocket Packing Cubes thread.

There are various posts that showed the Aether Packing Cubes when they debuted in March 2016 in the Aether Packing Cubes thread. For some purposes (e.g., my pictures showing how the Small and End A30 packing cubes were used in the Maker's Bag), I found the all fabric versions easier to slip in compared to the mesh.
    Last edited by moriond; 05-13-2018 at 06:26 PM. Reason: fix typos from autocorrect

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an aside, I read this before enough coffee and got all exited about Synapse Kittens...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to share my love for the Synapse 25 for one bag, carry on only travel; I was also carrying a travel cubelet as a purse. I recently completed two separate trips, 4 nights in Washington DC and 3 nights in San Antonio. The organization of the Synapse 25 was perfect for my needs; I could access everything easily. My clothes fit in the main compartment in 3-4 packing cubes. I also had 2 clear 3DOC (one for charging cables and one for toiletries) in the main compartment. Everything fit with room to spare. My bag weighed 15-16 pounds fully loaded, and it was really easy and comfortable to carry. I used the sternum straps, hip belt, and internal frame. The internal frame is really a game changer for the Synapse 25; the frame adds structure to the bag and makes it more comfortable to carry.

I loved that the Synapse 25 fit easily under the seat in front of me (aisle seat on a Boeing 737 and aisle seat on an Embraer 157). I was a bit concerned about the smaller space under the aisle seat on the Boeing 737, due to the presence of the electronics box, but the Synapse 25 fit just fine. It was a relief not to have to jockey for overhead bin space. I also have to admit that I felt a bit smug when I could just bypass baggage claim and head straight to ground transportation when I got off the flights.

Thanks to the Tom Bihn crew for making such an excellent bag!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2