Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Packing Hiking Boots in Aeronaut 45`

What's the best way to pack men's US size 13-wide hiking boots in an Aeronaut 45? They don't begin to fit in the largest packing cube I have and I'd like to find some way to be able to pack them that keeps them isolated from everything else in the bag. (Even after a good cleaning, they're always still a mess, and the lace hooks tend to snag on everything in sight!)

Thanks for any advice!

(And, no, I'm not packing them for the same trips as require business suits!)

JK

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    I seem to have a lot of questions, but if you provide the answers, I am certain we will find a solution for you.

1. Can you measure them? Specifically, (1a.) how tall and (1b.) how long (heel to toe) are they?

2. Do the boots fit in an end pocket of the Aeronaut45, either together in the same pocket or each in a different pocket?

3. What is the largest size & brand cube you have?

4. Are you willing to purchase one or two new cubes? I'm thinking if the boots are too big to pack as a pair, then put each boot into its own packing cube. I would think that a Packing Cube Backpack might work, but until I see the measurements I'm just guessing.

5. Because of the lace hooks snagging issue, I'd suggest a sturdy material like Halcyon. Cordura or ballistic seem like overkill in a packing cube, but might be suitable to provide protection to your other items. I would avoid sil-nylon like the Eagle Creek Specter line in this case, as I would want something that provides more protection to other items in my bag. elisa

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi AlaskaGirl,

The boots are 8.5" tall, 14.25" long, and 5.5" wide.

The boots will not fit into the end pockets.

I don't know which model is my largest packing cube, but it measures about 13.5" x 13.5" x 4.25".

I am willing to buy new packing cubes if I can find one where my boots will fit, but looking at the specs, I can't seem to find one.

FWIW, I have been using old pillow cases to pack them in checked luggage, but they tend to "leak dirt" through the pillow cases and I'm trying to ditch checked luggage. (I get two free checked bags when I fly, so cost isn't the issue -- the issue is the hassle of dealing with a large suitcase when hopping trains.)

Thanks for any help!

JK

Forum Member
    davenport, ia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i typically either pack each boot in a plastic shopping bag (or two bags slipped over each boot in opposite directions, if they're really dirty), then lie them on their sides with tops facing, heel to toe, in the aeronaut's main compartment. so long as the boots are reasonably dry or are not in the bag any longer than the have to be while in transit, i've had no issue whatsoever.

most often, i just wear bulky boots while travelling, particularly in the case of my even more enormous and heavy steel toe safety boots that i always have to bring on work travel.

Forum Member
    Los Angeles
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually set my boots down heel to toe (so they make a rectangle, more or less) and then slip the whole thing into a kitchen trash bag. You end up with a fair amount of extra trash bag, which I then fold up, to provide a little extra dirt containment. The whole bundle then goes into the largest compartment of whatever bag I'm bringing along.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The far west
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom spotted this thread and snapped this photo of his Asolo Size 13 hiking boots in the main compartment of his Aeronaut 45 / asked us to post it for him:

Packing Hiking Boots in Aeronaut 45`-tombootsaeronaut-jpg

He added that he thinks they'd fit in a Large Aeronaut 45 Packing Cube, but didn't have one on hand to try out (and he usually wears his boots on the plane.) That said, it sounds like the Packing Cube you have is a Large, and your boots don't fit, so.... capncat and afsheen's suggestions of plastic or trash bags seem like the best option (until/if we come up with a new size of Stuff Sack or Packing Cube for boots someday).
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Utah
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by capncat View Post
    i typically either pack each boot in a plastic shopping bag (or two bags slipped over each boot in opposite directions, if they're really dirty), then lie them on their sides with tops facing, heel to toe, in the aeronaut's main compartment. so long as the boots are reasonably dry or are not in the bag any longer than the have to be while in transit, i've had no issue whatsoever.

most often, i just wear bulky boots while travelling, particularly in the case of my even more enormous and heavy steel toe safety boots that i always have to bring on work travel.
    +1 on this advice. I usually wear my boots on the plane, but would use heavier weight plastic bags if I wanted, or had, to check them. I have used this method for years with all of my shoes.

Forum Member
    Oklahoma but I'm a native Kansan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I have been using old pillow cases to pack them in checked luggage,
    I don't know if this would work any better, but --- have you explored the idea of using pillowcases meant to protect against allergens? They often have a closer weave and/or impermeable barrier.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings All,
    Jksc, Tom's photo demonstrates the most optimal way I've found to transport my boots if I absolutely cannot wear them on a travel day. Will your boots fit like that? (Capncat, that was a very nice description!)

While I have been known to utilize a trash bag on occasion, as has been suggested, a typical trash bag develops holes quicker than I like. Dirt escapes and cleaning the mess is an annoyance. I prefer a more durable solution.

I'd like to offer a couple ideas for your consideration.

First is having a seamstress or alterations shop make a custom boot bag or bags. Due to the size of your boots, I'd suggest making two bags, one for each boot. You might need to purchase fabric and zippers. I'd use rip-stop nylon and YKK zippers. Contact a seamstress or alterations shop and verify if they will make a simple zippered bag before purchasing the fabric.

A simpler idea would be to buy a stuff sack or dry bag for each boot. The dry bag would isolate the boots and dirt completely. A stuff sack tends to have a small hole where it cinches closed. Both are available in a variety of fabrics, from thin sil-nylon to very durable rubber-like fabric. I think ripstop nylon would be perfect. Most outdoor stores (REI, LL Bean, etc) carry a decent selection in a multitude of sizes.

Once you find something that works for you, can you post a photo? Good luck! elisa
    Last edited by AlaskaGirl; 06-04-2016 at 04:55 AM.

North Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can now get gigantic zipper top bags. I've used those to put my boots in before. Another inexpensive option.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the ideas. I guess I need to experiment some more.

Thanks again,

JK

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Workaround: Wear the boots when you travel and change out of them when you get where you are staying. I never pack boots. I always wear my bulkiest stuff while traveling. Look how much room that will free up in your bag.

Forum Member
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Workaround: Wear the boots when you travel and change out of them when you get where you are staying. I never pack boots. I always wear my bulkiest stuff while traveling. Look how much room that will free up in your bag.
    Concur. If I take hiking boots and jeans, I wear them on the plane so I don't have to pack them!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When AlaskaGirl was kind enough to reference this thread in her response to the hiking boot thread yesterday, I noticed Tom's A45 in the picture is in the 200d steel dyneema fabric. Can anyone (maybe @moriond or Darcy) tell us if A45s in 200d dyneema were ever sold? Or is this just a one-off that Tom created? I would love to find one in 200d, especially with that Solar interior.
    Seeking Solar shop bags and Solar packing cube shoulder bag Also coveting an Iberian Synapse or Copilot

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    When AlaskaGirl was kind enough to reference this thread in her response to the hiking boot thread yesterday, I noticed Tom's A45 in the picture is in the 200d steel dyneema fabric. Can anyone (maybe @moriond or Darcy) tell us if A45s in 200d dyneema were ever sold? Or is this just a one-off that Tom created? I would love to find one in 200d, especially with that Solar interior.
    Hi @pammy,

I think that Aeronaut (45) was made of 400d (Steel) Halcyon, which was introduced at the same time as Original Nordic 400d Halcyon in fall 2012. (At that time it was called Dyneema; Halcyon is a later term).

Take a look at the October 2012 blog post that introduced 400d Dyneema in both Steel and Nordic colors th products available for order are listed there, and include the Aeronaut. I think the last Steel 400d Dyneema Aeronaut was sold to @Janine. (I could track down a confirming post to document exactly when, but Im on my phone and it requires a lot of cutting and pasting and switching screens to do this ) I think it was around June/July 2013.

They never used 200d Halcyon for the mainstay travel bags closest to that category was the Co-Pilot, where some early models were 200d Dyneema. After 400d Dyneema came out, only that weight of fabric was used for the Dyneema/Halcyon Co-Pilots

https://blog.tombihn.com/introducing-400d-dyneemanylon

HTH

moriond

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast