Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    North Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would you take and what would you pack in for a 2-week trip?

I'm leaving in a week for 2 days in Vancouver, BC, Canada, a 7 day Alaskan cruise and 3 days in Vancouver, WA. I list all of these places because I'm going to have sorta warm weather in both Vancouvers (not warm compared to N. Texas, but warmer than an Alaskan glacier). I always feel like I take too many clothes and now I feel like I have too few. Here's a summary of what I've packing in my Aeronaut 45 so far (it weighs about 19 pounds right now).

3 long sleeved wool shirts (2 are Icebreaker thanks to these forums)
    3 short sleeved cotton blend shirts
    1 short sleeved Life is Good shirt (I live in these)
    1 skirt that all my shirts match
    2 security tank tops (by Clever travel companion)
    1 pair security leggings (by Clever travel companion)
    1 pair light fleece-lined leggings
    Debating on nylon zip-off leg pants that are pretty comfy but a little big on me now or jeans. Leaning towards the nylon because the long range forecast looks like more rain/drizzle than sun in Alaska. And, I'll have shorts with me that way
    1 pair shoes to wear with the skirt
    Swimsuit
    Socks/undies/wool hat/gloves
    1 light fleece top
    1 fantastic rain coat
    1 synthetic down vest

So, I have 7 tops. My plan is to layer and considering when I was in my 20s, I had 3 tops that I wore for 7 months straight, I know I'll be fine with these for 2 weeks. Right?

I'm planning to take my Aeronaut 45 and my Makers Bag as my personal item. I can't decide if I'm going to check or carry on my Aeronaut (I have a giant stuff sack my mother made for that trip in my 20s for our checked backpacks, to protect it). Everyone else is checking, so i'll have to wait anyway, but I don't want it to get lost! I also have my DLBP inside my Aeronaut for my EDC in Alaska. I have room for a duffle bag inside my Aeronaut for overflow at the end of the trip, to be checked, if I want to do that. You're might be wondering why I'm taking my Makers Bag and my DLBP. 1) I love my Makers Bag! It's my EDC normally. More importantly though, 2) if I'm carrying my Aeronaut as a backpack, it seems easier to carry the Makers Bag than a second backpack.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also pack a Scrubba wash bag: https://thescrubba.com

They work shocking well. Had one for about a year and use it nearly every time a I travel. Although I really don't leave the US (as often as I'd like) and largely travel for business, I use it because hotel laundry is so expensive. It folds down and takes nearly zero room at the bottom of your bag.

Safe travels!

Indianapolis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi knitmoresocks,
    I am in the midst of a 3 week trip with similar weather and a similar set up to what you will see (lots of rain and clouds and cool and windy weather). I am using an A30 and a larger Cafe Bag and a DLBP. The clothing list sounds good. I've become a real fan recently of Gennifer merino tights. I opted to bring two pairs of these instead of leggings because they are dressier with a skirt, take up less space, and are quite warm. You could wear those under your nylon pants if it is super chilly. I've also found that I've been almost exclusively been wearing my low waterproof walking boots in the wet and cold (sneakers and ballerina flats have made only occasional appearances). Some other things I've made good use of so far is a sewing kit, Dizolve laundry sheets (though I didn't pack enough!), and a spray bottle for misting clothes when I am in the shower (I hate to iron). Have fun-- it sounds like great trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A30 Black Dyneema/Wasabi, PCSB Iberian, S19 Black Dyneema/Wasabi, SE Forest/UV, SCB Orange 152/Navy , A30 End Pocket PC Steel Dyneema, TSS in various sizes: Solar, Iberian, Wasabi, Steel, and Zest. 3D COC Orange 152, COP Cayenne, Small OP Solar, COW Wasabi, LSB Wasabi, SSB Zest, PCBP Steel, TT Zest,

North Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Trailrunner! I did recently buy a new pair of low, waterproof hiking shoes and I plan for those to be my main footwear. I think I'm also finding it hard because I'll be with the same large group of people, who will see me wearing the same things, but I've decided I don't really care if they think it's weird. Hope you're enjoying your trip!

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @knitmoresocks they'll be so envious of your stylish luggage that you transport so effortlessly that they will never notice!

Could you and trail runner post links to your shoes if you recommend them? Thanks

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second Kirri's request for shoe links!

North Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Merrell Moab hiking boots

Well now you are challenging my forum skills! Let's see if the picture works. I've been wearing Merrell Jungle Mocs since about 2000. They are one of the few shoes that don't give me horrible shin splints. I really thought about taking them but they didn't seem like they'd go with my leggings very well. When REI was having their anniversary sale, I happened upon these and tried them. I've worn them all weekend for 2 weekends now and they are just as comfortable as my jungle mocs. The Ventilator is essentially the same shoe, but the Moab is waterproof, which seemed pretty important for Alaska. Looking at the long range forecast, I'm glad I spent the extra $$.

Here's the link to REI's website: https://www.rei.com/product/810830/m...g-shoes-womens

And hopefully a picture!

What would you take and what would you pack in for a 2-week trip?-womens-moab-jpg

NY
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by knitmoresocks View Post
    Thanks Trailrunner! I did recently buy a new pair of low, waterproof hiking shoes and I plan for those to be my main footwear. I think I'm also finding it hard because I'll be with the same large group of people, who will see me wearing the same things, but I've decided I don't really care if they think it's weird. Hope you're enjoying your trip!
    Well knitmoresocks, aslong as you interchange the styles (ie. different tops with different pants), no one would notice much except the really attentive guy.

Quote Originally Posted by kmkmd View Post
    I would also pack a Scrubba wash bag: https://thescrubba.com

They work shocking well. Had one for about a year and use it nearly every time a I travel. Although I really don't leave the US (as often as I'd like) and largely travel for business, I use it because hotel laundry is so expensive. It folds down and takes nearly zero room at the bottom of your bag.

Safe travels!
    @kmkmd, would the Scrubba be easy to pack? I'm quite interested
    Last edited by polarium; 06-08-2016 at 08:07 PM.
    Black/Northwest Sky Western Flyer

Indianapolis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Kirri and @turnleftbrighteyes Not sure if I can do this from my phone, but I have Vivobarefoot Gobi Hi-tops, a pretty different type of shoe than @knitmoresocks-aimed at doing double duty! Perhaps they were so good that I should have left the other shoes behind.

Vivobarefoot Women's Gobi II Hi Top Shearling Winter | Amazon.com

I have them in black but they also come in brown (I like these so much I might get the brown next year). I brought mine for a combination of trying to be (slightly) fashionable walking and hiking (though the more heavy duty hiking half of the trip is ahead). I've walked an average of 9 miles a day on the first half, on a lot of uneven surfaces like cobblestones and dirt paths in parks--mostly wearing skirts, merino tights, and these boots, usually carrying at least my LCB and sometimes also a fully loaded A30. They are pretty minimalist (sole is very thin and flexible) but I find them cute and very comfortable. Didn't expect to wear them quite so much, but with the rain and cold temperatures in Europe they've been very welcome! I'll report back in a few days to let you know how they do in the mountains!

Just edited to add my husband brought hikers very similar (maybe just the men's version) to the ones posted by @knitmoresocks. So far he has really only used them on travel days during the first half of our trip but I am guessing he'll be wearing them non-stop for the rest of the trip out in the countryside.

The Vivobarefoot styles do take time to get used to (little support so your feet have to be strong--can get that way by wearing them before the trip) but I prefer the light (and packable!) feel to something with more support. I do think they are more comfortable than some some of Vivobarefoot's other styles since they are lined with a thin layer of shearling wool.

As for wearing clothes multiple days, I think you'll be fine if you can mix things up. Stylebook is a really helpful app to visualize that. It requires you to take pictures of your clothes but then you can mix and arch without trying on all the combinations. I don't walk my own talk though! I brought a lot more things for my trip, but I blamed it on trying to be somewhat fashionable in London and Paris. If your tops will go with all your bottoms that will be helpful and scarves are always great for dressing things up or changing a look.

Last edited by trailrunner; 06-08-2016 at 11:42 PM.
    A30 Black Dyneema/Wasabi, PCSB Iberian, S19 Black Dyneema/Wasabi, SE Forest/UV, SCB Orange 152/Navy , A30 End Pocket PC Steel Dyneema, TSS in various sizes: Solar, Iberian, Wasabi, Steel, and Zest. 3D COC Orange 152, COP Cayenne, Small OP Solar, COW Wasabi, LSB Wasabi, SSB Zest, PCBP Steel, TT Zest,

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @knitmoresocks & @trailrunner-- thanks for the shoe recommendations. I just sent back some too-small Merrell Vapor Gloves so those boots might be the ticket.

I'm also a fan of Stylebook-- I'm using it to plan an upcoming trip to Scotland, and I've found it really helpful to visualize things. My packing list with Stylebook is definitely shorter than the version from my (usual) handwritten chart.

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would definitely recommend the Scrubba - I use it whenever I travel more than 2 weeks, and I also use it all the time at home to wash my merino clothing. It does pack down tiny, and it doubles as a drybag in a pinch.

North Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the tips! I did download Stylebook today. Hopefully I'll have time to take pictures of my packed clothes this weekend and see what it does with them. Thanks also for the Scrubba recommendation. I debated trying the method in one of the dry bags I have, but decided to try it. If I don't like it, I can send it back and if it fails after a few uses, it has a year guarantee.

Forum Member
    North Queensland, Australia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    I've become a real fan recently of Gennifer merino tights.
    Thank you @trailrunner!!! I've been wanting to try merino tights and was unsure about brand. I thought I had read someone comment favourably on them but couldn't find the reference. Found an online seller in Australia and have ordered a pair. I do note that they are 70% merino; look forward to testing their warmth.

And to stay on topic, @knitmoresocks: could you actually get away with fewer clothes, especially tops? Would a couple of silk scarves--on the larger side, so wearable around the neck in various ways or around the shoulders or even on one shoulder for dress up--help to extend your sense of multiple 'looks'? They consume so little space/weight, can be quite helpful with temperature fluctuations, and usually don't require laundering on a trip. But also, I really wouldn't worry about what the other people in your group think! I've found that my issue often becomes my own fatigue with wearing the same clothes. I find that it helps to have a change of uppermost layer, so now I might bring two sweaters and two merino base layers instead of one sweater and four cotton base layers. It's also important to bring clothes that you really love wearing (as @Pokilani so helpfully once said).

I also like the Scrubba wash bag, and have found it particularly useful for larger garments (including jeans) that can be impossible to wash in a small sink and awkward to do in the bath or shower. If you get one, just be sure that the air valve works before you put pressure on the bag to expel air from it. Mine needed to be 'opened' before it would function properly. (Errrr, I bit on the valve.)

Indianapolis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Kaz I had two pairs of almost pure merino Smartwool tights a couple years ago and hated them-although they were warm, they sagged after a day of wearing them and the loose knit was not very dressy looking. The Gennifer tights are not quite as thick but nice and tight against the skin and they don't sag at all. I wore them as an outer layer yesterday under a skort on a rainy hike under waterfalls at about 10 C and they kept me warm.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OP: Another thumbs up on the list. You'll have more than enough stuff. If you accessorize and layer, it really won't seem like you're wearing the same old stuff. If you see the same people here and there, most people focus on your outwear or accessories that stand out anyhow.

Trimming things down is great for:
    a) reducing the need to decide - there's some comfort in not having to think about what to wear
    b) not having to schlep around heavy stuff, if you have to transition. (less of an issue on the cruise leg)

If you've got some flexible outerwear and an assortment of light layers, you'll be all set. 19 pounds is a lot more than it seems if you have to carry it for any length of time. I like to shoot for 12-15 pounds for a 2 week run - but a cruise and Alaska is a little different. If you're feeling like you're not quite gonna have enough stuff, I think you're headed in the right direction!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast