Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Short break with an A30 and 7kg carry-on limit

I'm going away for 3 days tomorrow and thought I'd post my packing list for a flight with a 7kg carry-on limit. This is the usual limit in New Zealand and Australia and I recall forum members asking questions about this before, so I thought it could be useful. See photos below.

A30
    1 pair jeans
    2 long sleeved t-shirts
    underwear
    2 socks
    pyjamas
    Exercise gear (top, leggings, trainers, socks)
    Toiletries in bag
    Charger
    Plunger cup and spork
    Snacks
    Umbrella
    Book
    Spare glasses
    Packing cube for the clothes and shoe bag for the trainers and socks

Shoulder bag (which is counted as a personal item and outside the 7kg limit)
    phone and iPad
    wallet
    sunglasses
    snacks for first day, mints
    water bottle
    reading material
    foldable shopping bag

I'll be wearing jeans, a t-shirt, an Icebreaker Bliss wrap, raincoat and casual shoes. Unfortunately the battery on my scales has just run out of juice, so I can't tell you how much the A30 weighs. Based on experience, I reckon about 4kg. There's still room in it for a few items, which is good because shopping is definitely on the agenda! If I was going away for longer, I'd add another bottom garment, 2 more tops and underwear, which should still be under the 7kg limit.

Short break with an A30 and 7kg carry-on limit-img_1449-jpgShort break with an A30 and 7kg carry-on limit-img_1451-jpg
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice packing. Your list seems small, yet everything is included. The only thing I would add is a travel pillow. Enjoy your trip! elisa

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The flight to my destination is just over an hour, so I wouldn't even consider a travel pillow for that. I do like to minimise what I carry and keep things manageable.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Updating on this, I did do some shopping and fitted an extra pair of shoes and a pack of gourmet coffee in the A30 on the return trip.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another update on this, as I'm going on a longer 10 day trip. This will cover 2 cities where the weather will be late spring (so still a bit chilly at times) and early summer (days beginning to hit 30). The packing list for the A30 is:

1 pair jeans
    1 skirt
    4 t shirts/tops
    1 t shirt dress that can also be worn over jeans
    pyjamas
    underwear
    bathing suit
    sandals
    foldable ballerina flats
    light rain jacket
    toiletries
    chocolate for gifts
    miscellaneous stuff (charger, theraband, spork etc)

The A30 weighs 6.7kg. I'm also taking the same shoulder bag as above with the same contents as my personal item. I'll be wearing loose-fitting pants, a long sleeved t-shirt, wrap cardigan and walking shoes on the plane.

Short break with an A30 and 7kg carry-on limit-img_0634-jpg
    Short break with an A30 and 7kg carry-on limit-img_0635-jpg

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you find the structure of the bag? Is the Halcyon floppy? What's it like when it's not fully packed?

My husband's offering to get me one as the next step down from my current carry-on travel bag, and I'm undecided about Halcyon or ballistic nylon.

(Undecided about colour as well, but that's a whole 'nother matter.)

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not floppy, probably best described as flexible. The seams give it some structure and shape. If I didn't need to pack it fully, I would fill the middle compartment first.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Denises.

My Halcyon Nordic PCSB was delivered today, after several days of quake disruption. The fabric is gorgeous, so my husband's just ordered me an A30 in it as a birthday present. That'll mean there are at least two Halcyon A30s in NZ. Smilie

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe our paths will cross at some point! I hope you're not to badly affected by the quake. Being away at the moment I've had to rely on neighbours for information on how my home is, and apparently it seems to be ok.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been really fortunate. One filing cabinet broke its bonds and disgorged its contents - and seemed to have warped in hard-to-adjust ways in its fall - but apart from that all seems to be okay at home. The Wellington CBD is a mix of totally-back-to-normal cafes and this-area's-just-been-cordoned-off hot-spots around buildings with structural failures.

Kaikoura, Waiau and State Highway 1 down the coast look... like they might be write-offs, TBH. Waiting for assessments, and expecting that internal travel patterns will have to change radically for at least a year.

Over it all is the knowledge that this happened at midnight, and at low tide, and the memory of Christchurch's similar warning shot months before the hammer fell. So, y'know, grim-cheerful contemplation of mortality and choices of places to be. *there isn't really an emoji for that yet Wink *

Forum Member
    North Queensland, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thinking of you in NZ!

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Thinking of you in NZ!
    I now have a Nordic A30 to distract me from the shaky ground.

That brings me right back to the topic of this thread: how to pack and use it when travelling. I'm thinking of grabbing my usual travel gear and simply playing with packing it, to see how it fits.