Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thin, organized wallet--recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by doesntmakememadonna View Post
    I've been using a mini Dyneema Organizer Pouch as my wallet for about 7 or so years. But maybe it isn't totally working for me. It is always too full, and not easy to access things inside it. A mash of cards, receipts, cash, coins, photos, slips of paper. Always stretched to capacity. Those "All-ett" wallets some of you posted intrigue me. I have grown REALLY accustomed to having my wallet (Organizer Pouch) attached by key strap into whatever bag I'm carrying though. I feel nervous that I would let it drop out of my bag or forget it somewhere without an o-ring and key strap to keep me on top of it. But maybe not. It is WAY overstuffed and honestly, the insides get REALLY raggedy really quickly when there is a lot in there. All peeling and gross-looking.

Am I the only one who still carries printed wallet-sized photos in my wallet? I like to carry a few in there that I get printed at Walgreens. I carry way too much in there, but I doubt I'll totally give up on the photos. It feels nice, even if I pretty much never look at them and don't show them off since they are, by nature, perpetually out-of-date. I look at pics of my kids on my phone daily though. It still feels nice to have them in my wallet.

Off to waste time on the Internet looking at your suggestions....

Happy Fourth!
    I keep meaning to pick up some ultra thin paracord so it sits flatter, but I can attach a little o-ring to the women's original wallet.

PS sorry about the crappy lighting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Pokilani; 07-02-2016 at 07:14 PM.

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In case you want to get an idea about the size of the original women's wallet.

Alternate between SW Ohio & Michigan's lovely Upper Peninsula
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Chums Surfshort Wallet. It's not particularly thin, but it's relatively small -- and it has an o-ring, so I can clip it in to whatever TB bag I'm carrying. I use a mini organizer pouch (again, clipped in to my TB bag du jour) for gift certificates, rewards cards, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Gumby; 07-02-2016 at 07:54 PM.
    Synapse 19 & 25, Co-Pilot, Pilot, Side Effect, Small Cafe Bag, Medium Cafe Bag, Western Flyer, Tri-Star, A45, A30, Travel Tray, Passport Pouch, Small Organizer Wallet (this is the little guy that started it all...), several Shop Bags and Organizer Pouches. More to come, I'm sure...

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sejour View Post
    Before buying another wallet, I would look at cutting this down. Personally, I made a list of how often I used everything in a week. Then, I experimented cutting it down to the bare essentials. Along the way, I realised what I could get rid off and what I needed.

Personally, most of my cards are in Android/Samsung Pay (you could use Apple Pay for the same thing). This includes bank and shopper cards. So, that cuts a lot out. I still keep my main bank card in case but nothing else. The frequent shopper cards I keep at home with the shopping list. So, I only take that when doing the main shopping. I suppose you could do the same with the gift cards. Normally, I only use those when I know I'll be heading to that store. So, for me, it wouldn't make sense to carry that all the time.

In terms of work ID, I keep that in a separate pocket rather than the wallet. So, I'm not carrying that around all the time. As a thought, you could take photos of the health insurance cards and store them on your phone. You could keep the actual health cards in the car.

Essentially, I only have the basic set of cards with me at all times. I've got backups/digital versions of anything else I might need on my phone. It's worked so far. But, of course, your usage might be different.

In terms of actual wallet suggestions, it depends on your needs. For example, I need a coin pocket so that rules a lot of wallets out for me. But, I would look at Bellroy, Allett or even something like Machine Era.
    This post fell under the "newby-moderation" and I did not want it to be overlooked as so many have answered after it. Hence why I quoted it here. Sorry @Sejour for this. After a few more posts you wount be "newby-moderated" anymore. Welcome to the forums!

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shortrowt View Post
    My husband and I both have bellboy wallets and love them.
    Slim Leather Wallets by Bellroy
    Same as above: "newbe-moderation" therefor I quoted it down here to make it seen.
    Welcome @shortrowt and thanks for your patiance :-)

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    I use a Chums Surfshort Wallet. It's not particularly thin, but it's relatively small -- and it has an o-ring, so I can clip it in to whatever TB bag I'm carrying. I use a mini organizer pouch (again, clipped in to my TB bag du jour) for gift certificates, rewards cards, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    That is exactly what I have been using as a tiny wallet. It may not be particularly stylish or feminine, but it is my favorite tiny wallet because of the zipper and o ring configuration. i keep cards in one zippered pocket, cash in the other, and receipts in the open one near the o ring. The whole thing is tethered in my side effect and slides in one of the inner pockets.
    Don’t make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, don’t hesitate to make it beautiful. — Shaker Philosophy

Forum Member
    St. Louis, MO
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm intrigued by the allett. I think I might just have to try one out. It's nice to have a non-leather alternative. This is a great thread. I also love the travel clothes/shoes/accessories thread on ravelry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a link to another wallet discussion from a year or so ago, just in case there are extra ideas for folks:

https://forums.tombihn.com/not-about...wallets-2.html
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Sorry @Sejour for this. After a few more posts you wount be "newby-moderated" anymore. Welcome to the forums!
    Thanks for approving the post! I haven't bought my first Tom Bihn bag yet (still saving up) but thought it would be a good idea to join the forums anyway. Thanks again for the help!

Forum Member
    Utah
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having gone through the headache of calling multiple banks, credit card companies, etc. after losing a card-laden wallet, I have gone minimalist: I carry my drivers license, medical insurance card, one credit card, AAA card, and about $75 in a Carbon Fiber Card Sleeve ID Wallet manufactured by Ragged Edge. They are made from laminate racing sailcloth, an extremely tough and cool looking material that comes in a variety of colors (blue, even, for those Nordic freaks). If interested, be sure to check out their "design you own" option.

I really like this wallet b/c it carries what I need, I can show ID w/o having to take my license out, and it slips very nicely into one of the front pockets of my pants ... and fits perfectly into a Small Organizer Pouch when I want to secure it inside my EDC.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thin, organized wallet--recommendations?

Misc cards that I don't use often are stored here:

My favorite wallet solution is still this combination of a COW and coyote nano pouch, but it's not for everyone. It's flat, holds my most commonly used cards, and lets me store many coins. Notes/bills are folded in half and stored in the last divider.

Last edited by adalangdon; 07-04-2016 at 12:40 AM.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a COW in the mail and I don't like it. It's going back. I guess I'll stick with my Osgoode Marley belt wallet for now. The COW didn't hold my minimal amount of stuff I carry (drivers license, 2 credit cards, 2 insurance cards, and 5 twenties.

The COW and the 3-1-1 clear 3D-cube were both weird feeling to me. Maybe it was that they were delivered in over 100F weather, but they felt melty. And the 3-1-1 cube wasn't tall enough for my travel bottles, which are pretty small. They distorted the plastic when I tried putting them in and zipping it shut. My Flight 001 x-ray quart bag is an inch taller and holds my travel bottles perfectly, so I guess I won't replace it. Plus the plastic is much thicker and sturdier feeling, although I have a feeling the zipper isn't going to last. I may just go back to using a Hefty or Ziploc bag in the future, as zippers don't seem to be very liquid tight if anything spills.

P.S. I just noticed on eBags, that Flight 001 has something they call the Aeronaut Quart Bag that looks a lot like the TB 3-1-1 clear 3D-cube. I think Flight 001 might need a talking to.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 07-06-2016 at 02:21 AM.

CA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I've been carrying for the last 3+ years:

This is enough for money, DL, insurance card, a few business cards and 3 credit cards.

Real small and real minimal. Works for me.

Synapse 25 Black Dyneema/Wasabi
    Side Effect Black Dyneema/Wasabi
    Aeronaut 45 Burnt Orange/Steel
    Absolute Shoulder Strap
    Travel Laundry Stuff Stack Aeronaut 45 Wasabi
    Vertical Freudian Slip Synapse 25
    Travel Tray Wasabi
    Pilot Navy/Wasabi
    RFID Passport Pouch Iberian
    Spiff Kit Deluxe Northwest Sky Halcyon 200
    Synapse 19 Black Halcyon/Ultraviolet
    Empire Builder
    Snake Charmer

Forum Member
    Northern NSW, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bweaves, I just looked at the Osgoode Marley website. The belt wallet looks good for my husband... I think. There is only one view on the OM site. (How do they ever sell anything!?!) Are you able to put up any photos of yours? I'd really like an idea how it looks in the back and host big/small it is.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used a Big Skinny Taxicat for several years now and have been happy with it. It's definitely much slimmer than whatever I used before, and I like that it looks and works like a traditional wallet (wallets that require you to fold your bills before putting them in have never worked for me), has plenty of organization pockets, and includes a coin pocket.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast