Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Los Angeles
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MCB for the poor twentysomething traveller

So I've been kicking around my bag every day for about six months, and it's doing wonderfully. I did deliberately cause it harm with a few pins on the flap, but it's handling them like a champ (with the addition of screw-lock pinbacks). As I'm flying across the country tomorrow morning to visit with my partner's family, I figured I should clean the thing out, set it up as my plane carry-on, and post some pics and praise.

(Unfortunately, photos are on a creepy bare mattress, since I'm washing the sheets in anticipation of falling into a fresh bed when we return home.)

MCB for the poor twentysomething traveller-20160708_121819-jpg

Ahh, yes, very nice, but-

MCB for the poor twentysomething traveller-20160708_122311-jpg

That's the stuff.

Pictured, clockwise from top left:
    • Knitting bag, containing socks in progress + scarf
    • Surface 3 with typecover
    • 3oz bottle of lotion
    • Ibuprofen
    • Lip balm
    • Sunglasses
    • Large paperback (very large)
    • Assorted gum and mints (for ear popping)
    • Freudian slip containing multiple pencils, pens, leads, kneaded eraser (in the black box)
    • Moleskine sketchbook stack
    • Bluetooth headphones (for use during the trip)
    • Corded headphones (for use during the flight)
    • Insulated bottle (for essential caffeine on the way to the airport, then refilled past security)
    • MCB with Clear Organizer Wallet

I'm not 100% on this configuration yet - may decide to leave the bottle, may move the lotion to my toiletries bag in the main suitcase, etc - but I'm forever impressed by the capacity of this bag. Not pictured are phone (since that's what was taking the pictures), charger, prescription meds, etc.

My everyday setup is minus the book, tablet, and yarn, but plus some random other things. Sure, it eventually gets a little more unwieldy to actually wear against the back, but here are some things I have fit into this bag in the last few months:

• Many soft drink cans/bottles
    • Many emergency calories (granola bars)
    • In fact, an entire value-size box (12-18 pack, depending on brand) of granola bars
    • AN ENTIRE FULL-SIZE CAN OF PRINGLES, this is impressive enough for all caps, and yes the bag buckled closed
    • Many of the random purchases made after a text at 10:45 PM (except for milk, TP, and laundry detergent, I've fit nearly any household staple in here)
    • Modified skivvie roll (shirt, undergarments, shorts, socks, hairband)
    • A small tree's worth of receipts, ticket stubs, flyers, etc.
    • Approximately 10,000 odds and ends from work (paperwork, various important bits of plastic, so many box cutters)

In fact, my main reason for cleaning out the bag so thoroughly was to make sure I had actually removed all of these razor blades before, you know, going through security. These box cutters are not especially well-made, and sometimes slide open randomly when jostled. I found no less than three kicking around the bottom of the bag, and careful inspection showed the Dyneema wasn't even nicked.

I'm very impressed, Tom. I still have to pack my main bag, but it's a choice between a non-TB backpack or a non-TB duffel, and neither will be nearly as satisfying as this was. Clearly worth the investment, even for a broke kid working hourly like myself.

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cary View Post
    [*]AN ENTIRE FULL-SIZE CAN OF PRINGLES, this is impressive enough for all caps, and yes the bag buckled closed
    Hah, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has ended up sticking a can of Pringles in my Cafe Bag! Surprisingly, even the Small Cafe Bag can fit a full-size can of Pringles, although obviously you're a lot more limited on what else can go in there with it as the Pringles can takes up nearly 1/2 the interior volume of the SCB. In an MCB, it's only about 1/3 volume so you get a little more available space left.

Maybe we need a new bag volume rating system: holds 2/3/4/etc cans of Pringles.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every home should have a MCB or SCB (or both). They are quite literally the most functional bags I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member Alice in Wanderlust's Avatar
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Meglet View Post

Maybe we need a new bag volume rating system: holds 2/3/4/etc cans of Pringles.
    That would be a great rating system.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Cary, I think it is great you have found Tom Bihn as a young person and appreciate the quality and wonderful organization these bags provide. As an older person, I have spent a small fortune on purses and bags only to donate later to Goodwill because they just didn't work out as I had hoped. However, I am grateful I have eventually found TB and it has streamlined and organized my life. So save your pennies and add to collection as you are able and you won't be sorry in making the investment in Tom Bihn.

By the way, I've always wanted to put pins on some of my bags, especially when I am visiting the Disney parks, but have chickened out. Good to know the pins haven't caused any lasting damage. Thanks for the pics.

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I approve of your pin choices

Also, I've learned a SCB will hold a full tube of Pringles which is good to know. So thanks!