Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Western Flyer - 13 nights 13lbs and packing problems

First time use of my black/NWS WF..love it, better size for me than a TS, which just felt too large.

Went to Southern Turkey, temps really high 28-32 degrees and flew Monarch airlines

Packing list:-
    3 skirts
    4 t shirts
    3 vest/tank tops
    2 shorts
    1 pair shoes, 1 flip flops
    1 linen cardigan
    3 socks, 3 nicks,2 bras, 2 bikinis
    Worn:- skinny jeans, trainers, 1 of the above t shirts, fitted lightweight jacket, and sweatshirt (early start in UK)
    3-1-1 bag
    Travel tray for odds, tissues etc.
    Small bag with minimal makeup,vitamins etc
    small handbag, with copies of tickets/visa/purse/iPhone,sunglasses
    S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]16482[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images Western Flyer - 13 nights 13lbs and packing problems-image-jpg 
    S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And what were the problems?

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was happy with packing it and the weight going out, but packing to come back it didn't seem to work as well.
    The 2 sections that have the zipped divider worked fine, but the back section seemed to bulge, which made it difficult to zip up.
    So I tried to switch what I had packed in the front sections into the back section, but that didn't seem to work.
    The only things I did buy to bring back were 2 linen towels, but I wouldn't have thought that would make a big difference.
    I think it's probably down to inexperience with packing it, I will have to practice pack it more, or get more organised!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used my WF as one bag on trips longer than a week too. To prevent bulges, I think the key is to keep the two halves slim (and not push them past the ~3.5 inch limit), and fully utilize the height and width instead. I distribute my packing cubes and pouches and rolled up things in an even layer across the full 18x12 rectangle. Often after putting in the largest objects (the packing cubes), I find extra space around the edges (near the zippers) and slip in smaller pouches in those areas.

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that - I will try and pack as slim as possible but up to the edges then..
    I have 2 packing cubes (Rohan) that fit the top and bottom sections well, which tend to contain my clothing.
    I'm waiting for a WF section in the new organisational section, not sure if one will appear or not as the WF doesn't seem to be mentioned too much.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the backstrap compartment for things that fold into nice flat rectangles. It adds extra packing space where the backstraps were and does not cause the bag to bulge.

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried to put flat items in the backstrap compartment, I.e. A magazine but seemed a bit bulky , but then the material is still a bit stiff.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like it's time to carry the emergency shop bag for overflow.

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah good idea,,but was travelling Monarch, which I thought would be quite strict, but they didn't weigh or check the size of my WF.
    At least I shouldn't have to buy anymore linen towels, as I have them now!

Arizona
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since it looks like you packed a vest? You may consider purchasing a Scottevest and use it for the overflow (including a shopping bag) you can stash inside. I'm going on a 13 week trip with about 11 pounds in my S25, but that same amount of stuff fits in my WF too. I use my Scottevest for my shopping bag, wet wipes and all kinds of small things to keep handy and nearby.....basically it's a wearable purse.

I'm going to Turkey too, one of several countries on my itinerary. So, backing light is definitely required or I will have to deal with baggage claim.

Just another tip I can add......try using several very flexible (extra extra thin nylon) stuff sacks for your small items and get rid of heavy thick pouches. They add too much bulk and weight. You will gain more room and comfort. If you really want to be comfortable, get rid of the packing cubes (not literally), and use those large zip lock bags and roll the air out. I don't use packing cubes when I'm packing only 11lbs....every ounce and every inch counts. Good luck on your next adventure!
    Western Flyer (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Large Cafe Bag (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Parental Bag (used as a carryon), and Shop Bags (Org Halcyon, Iberian, Wasabi)

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings Jaffa,
    There is now a thread for the Western Flyer in the new organizational section. I'm having trouble packing my WF, too. elisa

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Alaskagirl,
    Thanks for the mention of the thread..will read it next.
    Re the packing cubes, I used 2 lightweight ones that I already had by Rohan, that worked fine. I used some exped compression bags that work like ziplock bags by squeezing the air out. They also have the advantage of being waterproof and I also had them. The only disadvantage is the shape, which is why I put them in the 2 packing Cubes as they were rectangular in shape so fitted in the zipped section easily.

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, if my word of vest was misleading, I think it's more like a tank? Style top. It was certainly hot in turkey, and even though I thought 13 lbs was good. Coming back I didn't use half the clothing I took, and again it's all the extras that add up.
    Jaffa