Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had very good success with Patagonia Performance jeans, now made in dark gray as well as classic blue denim (note to self: dark blue denim hides coffee and food spills better than dark gray!). Patagonia has two fits (at least in their regular line of jeans, I think in Performance too) - slim and slightly looser - which helps. The weight - thickness - is lighter than Levi 501's while not super thin like Prana etc. So they do look like jeans but you don't feel like you are hauling around a ton of weight. The 20% Coolmax and thinner weight makes sink washing possible, they dry overnight in an aircon room (removes ambient humidity) if I twist them in a dry shower towel (or stomp-to-dry). And oh yeah the 20% Coolmax helps them deal with sweat better, the Coolmax evaporates sweat better than cotton which fiercely retains water.

I'm talking about jeans even though the original poster definitely wanted to stay away from them due to sweating issues. BUT for most of us, jeans - and cargo shorts - are Universal Travel Wear. If you watch YouTube videos of travel destinations you see a lot of jeans and a lot of shorts.

For inflight travel, I share the earlier commenter's concerns about fires.

The real risk is not nearby flames from fuel spills, its usually fireballs from fuel vapors.

Fireballs have a momentary "flash heat" effect. They are generally survivable, but it turns out the worst damage isn't from the intense momentary heat on your skin (even on bare skin), it's from tight stretch fabrics (Under Armour Heat Shield compression tees are the worst) melting while they sink into your skin, fusing fabric to skin and requiring painful debridement. Loose synthetics will melt ONto your skin; compression synthetics (Heat Shield, yoga tights, nylons) melt INto your skin.

That having been said, personally I go with the Patagonia Performance jeans - 80% cotton, 18% Coolmax synthetic, 2% elastane/Spandex "slight stretch". I feel, though I have no evidence for it, that 80% cotton, and lack of compression levels of Spandex, means I won't have the melt INto risk.

Unlike the thread-starter, I NEED the extra warmth of thicker pants on the flight. And, I WANT the Universal Travel Wear look - for both the flight and then again on the ground (I look around my flights apart from a few business travelers, it's almost all jeans and shorts - with increasing numbers of yoga pants). Jeans are definitely upscale compared to shorts.

Finally, if I want jeans on the ground, GOTTA wear them in flight, they are thick compared to travel pants and shorts, and just take up too much space in the checked 22" wheelie I use as luggage. Luggage gets thin, flat-folding (or tight rolling) specialized travel pants instead - REI, Royal Robbins, even the very versatile -in some designs - Kuhl, which aren't travel-specific but are still thinner than chinos. Heck I can pack 3 Kuhls in the space of 1 Levi 501's.

BTW your mileage may vary on jeans - the fits from different brands are all over the place. Thanks to the poster who recommended stretch Lucky, I'll check them out. I can't fit "young, trim, athletic" jeans anymore. I need granddad jeans.

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xnykid View Post
    thunderbolt jeans. look better than jeans and are so comfortable that i grab them to pull on for coffee in the morning. you could wear them to bed if you wanted to but you can wear them to the opera also. water resistant so they don't stain and require very little cleaning. stretch 4 ways, not just 2. don't seem to bag at my knees. just look great day after day after day.
    if your going to build a wardrobe for travel you need to check out thunderbolt jeans.
    they are not the best for hot 4th of july summer travel since they have a fuzzy feeling lining they are worm. great in snow or rain though.
    about $200 but with the 2 pair i have i can stay away from home for weeks and still look and smell good doin it.
    jt
    Just curious... @xnykid, how was your customer service experience with Thunderbolt Sportswear?

I was interested in their Mark II jeans. When I reached out to the company with a simple question about them, though, nobody would reply.

In case they didn't get the first email or it fell through the cracks somehow, I asked again. Same thing... no response.

It seems like they don't want to sell their $200 jeans.

Edited to add: I wonder if they are still in business? None of their social media accounts have been updated since summer 2018.
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 04-11-2019 at 04:37 PM.

Forum Member
    lawrence ks
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Itís been a few years since I bought the pants. Donít remember any issues with the company. Canít tell you if they are out of business but Iím traveling right now and the pants are going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered some pants from 1620, but haven't gotten them yet. I work in an office, but also do a lot of woodworking for fun and I wanted something good looking but tough and with utility pockets. The company got some pretty amazing reviews, and it's a pure-USA shop so I can feel better about supporting the locals.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a really useful thread and I'm going to check out the Lululemon ABC and some others, but +1 for Prana Zion Stretch pants AND shorts. I've been living in a few pairs of these things for work and play, both at home and travel. They hold up extremely well, very little pilling, fall nice and flat and not very wrinkly even after a couple weeks of no washing. I believe they make a version without the side cargo pocket (which is fairly subtle) - and I might have to pick up a pair for job interviews or something.

The shorts are incredible too. So versatile. I can wear shorts to work and these are perfect to hop on a bike after work too.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10