Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kambla View Post
    yes they are perfect but they are expensive too
    To me what makes pants expensive are the ones that spend most of their time hanging in the closet. I have Bluffworks pants in all of their colors and they are the most versatile and used pants I have ever owned. They can be worn on literally any occasion. So, to me, when you figure what use and piece of mind you get from them they end up being the least expensive pants you can own.
    Previous owned: A45 ballistic, NFTD
    Own:A45 Black Halcyon, A30 black ballistic, WF black ballistic, DLBC black Halcyon, DLBP original black dyneema, various packing cubes

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see there is another fan here - I think I have about 8 pair so far. I use them daily for work and use the Chinos for travel.
    --------------------------------

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am debating right now between the bluff works chinos (they have a new fit that does not seem as slim) and the Lulu ABC. Both are similar in price. What I love about the bluff works is the pockets and I love the light grey colour..... hard decision to make

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody have suggestions for a lighter-weight 5-pocket style non-denim pant that would work for casual workdays or dinners in the southern spring and summer? I liked the Outlier SD in concept, but the rise was too high for me and it might be too heavy for Atlanta summers. Something cut to sit on the hips would be best. And nothing cut too skinny.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    Anybody have suggestions for a lighter-weight 5-pocket style non-denim pant that would work for casual workdays or dinners in the southern spring and summer? I liked the Outlier SD in concept, but the rise was too high for me and it might be too heavy for Atlanta summers. Something cut to sit on the hips would be best. And nothing cut too skinny.
    Rohan Fusions. I bought a grey and khaki pair for a trip. They worked out perfect. I wear them as casual pants as well as business casual for work (office, summits, etc) now. The price is great, the pants are phenomenal.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything by Scottevest. I usually travel with three pairs of their convertible cargo trousers and that is it.

I prefer trousers with the cargo pockets mid-thigh when flying. The reason for that is that those pockets are easily accessible when sat in your plane seat, whereas normal hip-level pockets are almost impossible in an economy seat unless you are tiny.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surfertraveller View Post
    Use promo code TFC and get 10% OFF on Bluff Works.

Using "TFC" as a promo code on their site will get you a discount on your entire purchase.
    Anybody who has been considering trying Bluffworks: they are giving away a free square of Fulton & Roark solid cologne with all orders through Father's Day.

The solid cologne (which sells for $42 normally) is great for travel, F & R scents are fantastic, and they come in a reusable metal container whose lid rotates and seals with a magnet.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have experience with the fit of Uniqlo's ultra stretch jeans (women's)? They're tempting from a price perspective, but I hate to order jeans online without a little more info on how sizes run.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad enough that I keep buying TB bags. Now it's pants, eh?

I need to replace my Banana Republic "no iron" cotton chinos and perhaps my Paul Smith jeans. I'm not a huge fan of cotton when you only have one pair of pants for a specific purpose with you due to cotton's inability to deal with moisture, be it from outside or inside.

I need something that I can wear comfortably strolling around cities in Europe, as well as something "sharp" enough to wear to the office when I'm not wearing a suit. If it matters in the questions that follow, I'm a slender guy that usually ends up buying tapered- or slim-fit when it's available.

I took a look at the Rohan offerings here in London and, with the exception of their wool-blend slacks and cotton-blend chino-like pants, they all looked far too casual to me in their fit and style. I'm looking for the fabric and style, not travel-specific features, so there was no good match there for me.

The Outlier Slim Dungarees look like they might be a good replacement for jeans. For those that have them, do you find them hotter than conventional jeans in the summer?

Reading reviews on Outlier, it looks like there was the "New OG", but I don't see that on the site. Closest thing to a casual dressy pant I saw was the Futureworks. If you've got a pair, how do they look and hang compared to a pair of cotton chinos?

(Anyone heard if the OG Classics are coming back?)

The Bluffworks look interesting as well. Any recommendations between the Original and the Chino for my office-able needs? It's hard to tell the difference between the two in the photos. How does the polyester breathe? I had terrible experiences with Tencel slack years ago.

The Bluffworks return policy certainly isn't great. "If all items from an order are returned for refund, a $7.00 restocking fee will be deducted from the refund amount." So, if it's not a success with their cut, I'm out not only return shipping, but another $7??? Given that there are already few brick-and-mortar stores that have something that fit me, and I'm buying something without being able to touch the fabric as well, that seems rather annoying. Anyone dealt with Bluffworks on a first order that didn't work out at all?

Thanks!
    Last edited by jeff; 06-17-2017 at 01:21 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Jeff -- I love the Outlier pants. Slim Dungarees do seem to me to be a parallel to jeans. I love them. They're significantly cooler in the summer than jeans. I've been wearing two pairs as basically my only casual pants for a year. I wear them to work on day that I don't need "slacks." I even bought three pairs of the Outlier shorts now.

Their returns are free and non questions. That's why I tried the dungarees the first time. My subsequent orders, I've bought three or four, kept the colors that I wanted, then returned the rest. The company has treated me great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently traveling with the outlier slim dungarees and new way longs. I wore the slim dungarees on the plane and on the tour to the Vatican. It's been so hot in Europe! I did feel cooler in the SDs than I would have with jeans, for sure.

Also I'm traveling with a 4 year old and 20 month old. The younger one always touches my clothes with his dirty hands while he's eating. From pasta sauce, flour, salad dressing, food he's spit back out, the outlier clothes have been getting hammered. NO problem with stains.

I washed the slim dungarees after 18 hours of solid plane use, not because they needed it, but just because. Left it in the bathroom with no window open and they were dry several hours later.

I can't recommend them enough.

I also wouldn't hesitate to swim with the new way longs. Even in hawaii surf, the drawstrings really help.

I also cannot say enough about the fit of outlier products. I'm a slim build and their clothes just fit me. I also have a pair of ice breaker escape shorts and while I love that they are cooler in hotter weather, the fit for me is meh.
    Last edited by garuda; 06-19-2017 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Added more info

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best jeans/pants for travel?

@Garuda -- I want to be in an Outlier add next to their cool Brooklyn 20-year-old models. My photos would show the pants surviving a spilled juice box and grubby hands. I'd be stretching under my car to dislodge the kickball jammed there. I'd be sleeping on a kid's room floor in those pants and a merino shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fulton; 06-19-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    The Bluffworks look interesting as well. Any recommendations between the Original and the Chino for my office-able needs? It's hard to tell the difference between the two in the photos. How does the polyester breathe? I had terrible experiences with Tencel slack years ago.
    I have both - more of the Originals than Chinos. Think of the Originals more like wool slacks in appearance. The fabric is light but durable and very cool (although I wear in winter in CT as well). I use them for work daily, in a financial services office. The Chinos material is smoother/softer, closer to cotton. Still durable but maybe more prone to snags? They can also be worn to work but are a bit more casual.
    --------------------------------

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Reading reviews on Outlier, it looks like there was the "New OG", but I don't see that on the site. Closest thing to a casual dressy pant I saw was the Futureworks. If you've got a pair, how do they look and hang compared to a pair of cotton chinos?

(Anyone heard if the OG Classics are coming back?)
    The Futureworks are great. They look and feel kind of like a very lightweight duck pant. I have 4 pairs and wear one of them probably 3-4 days every week. It's my favorite long pant. The material sheds stuff pretty well, doesn't show dirt, smell, etc. for at least several days of wearing. Could easily go on a 1-2 week trip with 2 pair, and they'd pack incredibly small. They are good for 3 seasons but not ideal for long outdoor periods in colder weather. In hot weather though? They're perfect.

I also love, and am currently wearing a pair of, the New Way shorts, which are made from the same material. Just enough stretch to be really comfortable. The Futureworks also have a gusset, so they'd be good enough without that bit of stretch.

For a dressier chino look, the 60/30 chino is a good option. It looks and wears like a pretty classic dress khaki pant. And the stretch on them is ridiculous, as you can see from the demo on their webpage. I have 2 pairs of these, and wear one of them at least once a week.

I'd probably wear them more but I ended up with a black pair of each and kind of regret that. Turns out black pants isn't my style. I wear them occasionally, but not often.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulton View Post
    @Garuda -- I want to be in an Outlier add next to their cool Brooklyn 20-year-old models. My photos would show the pants surviving a spilled juice box and grubby hands. I'd be stretching under my car to dislodge the kickball jammed there. I'd be sleeping on a kid's room floor in those pants and a merino shirt.
    Do you either of you have the merino Outlier t-shirts? I don't have any issues wearing regular jeans, but I've lost dozens of t-shirts to stains from grubby hands and faces.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast