Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you definitely want something jeansy, then I recommend the Rohan jeans. They are a faster drying and a tiny bit stretchier than regular jeans and have a bunch of travel specific features built in (namely zipper and Velcro shut pockets without looking weird about it). Also, nice deep front pockets (good for smartphones and keys). I have the slim fit in dark colors and think they look (and feel) very nice.

If they don't have to be jeansy, then I recommend either Outlier pants (Futureworks, Slim Dungerees, or Strong Dungerees) or Thunderbolt Sportwear pants. Both options pricy at $200, but they both can be the only pants you take, as they are versatile enough for hiking, walking, sightseeing, and nice dinners.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best jeans/pants for travel?

Afsheen - I don't have the Outlier shirt, but I bet they're great. I have 5-6 merino shirts mixed from Ibex, Icebreaker and Wool & Prince. I lost one light W&P shirt to a stain, but the darker-colored ones have cleaned fine.

I started wearing merino after our adoption because I slept on my son's floor most nights. The shirts kept me warm. But Now I'm a complete convert to wool and wear them most days I wear casual.

I think I've bought most from Ibex and Icebreaker because I got shirts on sale. I bet the Outlier shirts are terrific. I just haven't pulled the trigger on the $98 price.

Forum Member
    San Francisco
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not Outlier, but Ibex 100% Merino long- and short-sleeve both. Love 'em. Not too hot in the summer and adds warmth in the winter. Wash in the sink and dry overnight on travel. Oil and grease are hard to get out of anything, Merino is no magical exception

Forum Member
    Los Angeles
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulton View Post
    Afsheen - I don't have the Outlier shirt, but I bet they're great. I have 5-6 merino shirts mixed from Ibex, Icebreaker and Wool & Prince. I lost one light W&P shirt to a stain, but the darker-colored ones have cleaned fine.

I started wearing merino after our adoption because I slept on my son's floor most nights. The shirts kept me warm. But Now I'm a complete convert to wool and wear them most days I wear casual.

I think I've bought most from Ibex and Icebreaker because I got shirts on sale. I bet the Outlier shirts are terrific. I just haven't pulled the trigger on the $98 price.
    Staying warm while sleeping on the floor is what caught me - I used to do that often with our little guy when he was night weaning, and it was a tough (and chilly!) time. Luckily we got through that, but I'll still doze off in there occasionally if he wakes up at 3 or 4 am and is convinced it's morning.

I've been eyeing the W&P and Outlier t-shirts, but I think I'll start somewhere short of $100 for something that could very easily fall victim to a messy eating accident.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afsheen View Post
    I've been eyeing the W&P and Outlier t-shirts, but I think I'll start somewhere short of $100 for something that could very easily fall victim to a messy eating accident.
    Ibex has regular sales. I think a light-weight tshirt is on sale now. I recommend all three of the brands that I have.

Forum Member
    Los Angeles
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ibex has regular sales. I think a light-weight tshirt is on sale now.
    Thanks for the heads up! One Ibex shirt headed my way.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Garuda -- I want to be in an Outlier add next to their cool Brooklyn 20-year-old models. My photos would show the pants surviving a spilled juice box and grubby hands. I'd be stretching under my car to dislodge the kickball jammed there. I'd be sleeping on a kid's room floor in those pants and a merino shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lol! Well played.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afsheen View Post
    Staying warm while sleeping on the floor is what caught me - I used to do that often with our little guy when he was night weaning, and it was a tough (and chilly!) time. Luckily we got through that, but I'll still doze off in there occasionally if he wakes up at 3 or 4 am and is convinced it's morning.

I've bought a woolly shirt and a WP one. I like the WP one as it's blended with nylon so it's more durable. As far as stains go, it's black, so that's my way around that. It isn't cheap, but is holding up better than a 100% merino t.

Forum Member
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless I missed a post or recommendation, not one of the suggestions are 100% natural fibers.
    Too many bags to list, but most often used are: Cadet, Ristretto, Aeronaut 45 and Citizen Canine (1st generation)

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 - anything that melts to your skin isn't a good option for travel clothes in my book, especially for trains/planes/automobiles or for the woods if you're going to be near bonfires. Even unexpected fast high friction will melt that stuff to your skin and you're looking at a ER visit and maybe nasty scaring. Maybe I'm too safety concerned for travel ... and there are definitely a lot of other reasons to choose natural fibers too of course.

I usually go with Kuhl 100% cotton shirts & pant and smartwool marino wool underclothes or Ibex

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    +1 - anything that melts to your skin isn't a good option for travel clothes in my book, especially for trains/planes/automobiles or for the woods if you're going to be near bonfires. Even unexpected fast high friction will melt that stuff to your skin and you're looking at a ER visit and maybe nasty scaring. Maybe I'm too safety concerned for travel ... and there are definitely a lot of other reasons to choose natural fibers too of course.

I usually go with Kuhl 100% cotton shirts & pant and smartwool marino wool underclothes or Ibex

I really, really wanted to buy a pair of ice breaker wool pants. The cut, quite frankly, is awful. Ordered a 28 pants and 28 shorts, the shorts were slightly big but the pants were too tight, and the legs didn't taper so they felt like garbage bags.

Outlier's cuts are so good, that I'd probably still buy their clothes if the fabric wasn't so good.

In all honesty, if it's to the point the clothes are grafting to your skin, you're probably going to the ER anyway. Unless there is something I'm missing here?

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have often wondered what people who insist on 100% natural fibers for flying do about underwear, which typically has at least an elastic waistband even if the rest is cotton, and socks, which often also have elastic in them. Do you just worry about the outer layers of clothing, or do you go all out and get drawstring underwear? (If you go commando, I don't need to know about it.) Or is elastic fine and it's just nylon and polyester that are a problem?

(I'm female and wear a bra, and I don't think I've ever seen a bra of 100% natural fiber. A bra band needs to have a particular degree of stretch that's difficult to find in natural materials.)

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the matter of natural vs. synthetic fibers is very complicated. I do prefer natural fibers whenever possible for several reasons. First of all you can wash a 100% cotton shirt or undies at higher temperatures which I think is an advantage both in terms of hygiene and smell. Pure merino also has some natural properties that make it resistant against bacteria and bad smell. Secondly, pure natural fibers can be recycled or disposed very easily without polluting the environment.
    On the other hand, especially cotton is an environmental nightmare in terms of production with regard to water consumption and pesticides and herbicides (organic cotton is slightly better at least). Most synthetic fibers are terrible too regarding environmental issues not only as to there production but also because they are a main source of the so called microplastic that pollutes the oceans because with every washing some plastic dissolves into the water. Of course you can recycle synthetics, however, is seems that this is not as sustainable as the companies who offer clothes from recycled plastic want to make you believe. And it is very hard if not impossible to recycle mixed fabrics.
    Nevertheless, I also have a couple of things that are made from mixed fibers or that are even 100% synthetic simply because they have some qualities that are hard to beat e.g. durability, elasticity, water resistance, weight, etc. Overall, as with many other things (e.g. buying bags), buying clothes can be quite complicated...
    ...spread joy in your neighbourhood
    current bags: Smart Alec, Guide's Pack, Guide's Edition S25, Luminary 15, Daylight Backpack, Aeronaut 45, Tri-Star, Road Buddy 36, Daylight Briefcase, Small Yeoman Duffel, bits and pieces

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post

(I'm female and wear a bra, and I don't think I've ever seen a bra of 100% natural fiber. A bra band needs to have a particular degree of stretch that's difficult to find in natural materials.)
    Oh I have, but I'm really old. My mother had those cone shaped padded bras from the 1950s. No elastic anywhere. 100% cotton. No stretch. Long line ones, too. Practically corsets. I'm glad they don't make those any more. My first bra was 100% cotton with no elastic. I couldn't wait to get rid of it.

On the other hand, they're finding micro fibers not only in the ocean, but in fish, and sea salt. Nothing is safe.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Oh I have, but I'm really old. My mother had those cone shaped padded bras from the 1950s. No elastic anywhere. 100% cotton. No stretch. Long line ones, too. Practically corsets. I'm glad they don't make those any more. My first bra was 100% cotton with no elastic. I couldn't wait to get rid of it.
    Oh, ouch! I've worn a corset and it was all right in its situation (I used to perform at a Renaissance Festival and one of my outfits had a corset) but I wouldn't want to wear one for every day--especially not with any kind of active lifestyle.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast