Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garuda View Post
    if it's to the point the clothes are grafting to your skin, you're probably going to the ER anyway. Unless there is something I'm missing here?
    Well, the industrial health and safety thinking goes like this ...

Anytime you're around conveyances powered by fuel explosions (planes, trains, cars, trucks, scooters, etc) or anything where there's lots of fire, flammable stuff and activities (bonfires, street food vendors, wok cooking, construction, etc) - both of which are just about always when you're traveling - synthetics could be dangerous because what might be a hole in a natural fiber garment will be a plastic-skin fusion with synthetics. This can turn the bummer of a ruined shirt into the bummer of a spoiled vacation.

Further, in an emergency situation, such as where you have to evacuate from a burning building, car, bus, plane, forest, etc, the natural fibers will burn off of your body, which will definitely sting or hurt, versus synthetic garments which will boil and burn while fusing to your skin. This will be extremely painful and cause you to inadvertently slow, stop, fall, or otherwise not be able to complete your evacuation and thus die and possibly kill others in the process (by blocking their exit).

Thus a safer choice for travel are garments that are predominately natural and will easily burn off of you rather than on and to you.
    Last edited by GrussGott; 06-26-2017 at 11:11 PM.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've worn corsets for Ren Faire, too. Corsets sit at the waist and push up. Bras strangle the ribcage and either dig into the shoulders, or the straps always fall down. Neither one is comfortable, but they are uncomfortable in different ways.

Forum Member
    Seattle, WA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no personal experience regarding these Kickstarter project jeans, but back to the pants theme, I thought it was interesting that they are woven with dyneema in them to increase durability.

I only wish they made a women's version, as I would be sorely tempted.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...?ref=discovery
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 06-27-2017 at 07:39 AM.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @grussgott

Dang, everything is a tradeoff. Anyone know of wool or wool/blend pants that are natural with a good cut? I've tried the makers and riders (wool/poly blend), but am not that stoked on the feel of the fabric.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No question that the best travel pant from a style standpoint are the Outlier Slim Dungarees. I plan on writing a full review on my blog some time in the near future. They are lightweight, breathable, super comfortable, and look great. They are billed as a "21st century jean" by the company which I think is pretty apt.
    Current TB bags: Aeronaut 30 (black halcyon / northwest sky), Synapse 25 (black halcyon / northwest sky)
    Current TB accessories: aether packing cubes, 3D clear organizer, 3D fabric organizer, small snake charmer, luggage tag, red cord pulls

Follow my new instagram page for honest reviews on travel gear & top resorts: @traveltheworldwithjosh Smilie

Next trip: Thailand / Vietnam / Singapore / Australia / New Zealand

Forum Member
    Naples, Fla.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great for travel...customer service is superb!

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garuda View Post
    @grussgott

Dang, everything is a tradeoff. Anyone know of wool or wool/blend pants that are natural with a good cut? I've tried the makers and riders (wool/poly blend), but am not that stoked on the feel of the fabric.
    Here's an important update from today on why synthetics can be dangerous for travel ... stuff like clothing material is not important until it's really really important:

An engine on SkyWest passenger jet flight 5869 caught on fire moments after landing in Denver on Sunday, forcing passengers to evacuate. Photos posted to social media showed the plane's left engine burning as a pool of dripping liquid caught fire on the tarmac below at Denver International Airport. None of the 63 passengers and crew aboard the plane were injured, the airport confirmed

I worked for a major airline for 10 years in engineering and ground operations and I'd never get near a high speed flying tank of kerosene powered by explosions wearing synthetics. I also never wear sandals or shorts.

YMMV literally Big Grin
    Last edited by GrussGott; 07-02-2017 at 11:55 PM.

Forum Member
    New Jersey
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have recommendations for a great travel pant that is made of natural fibers? Perhaps wool pants that look great?

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnmason View Post
    Do you have recommendations for a great travel pant that is made of natural fibers? Perhaps wool pants that look great?
    Why not linen for summer and cotton denim jeans for winter?

Jeans are heavy to pack but you can just wear them on the travel days.

Washington, D.C.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a couple pairs of ibex wool pants. They are a blend of like 80%wool and 20% nylon for shape. 100% wool for bottom halves is hard bc wool does tend to stretch a little as you wear it, and won't always bounce back until you wash it. The solution is to add a little nylon to help keep it's sharp and add durability. For tops, 100% wool is usually fine (think classic fairisle sweaters) bc there is less stretch, movement and friction. You could go the route of sourcing some 100% wool fabric and 100% silk for the lining, and have a seamstress or tailor make you a pair of pants if you really wanted 100% natural wool pants. It's really hard to find pants made like that anymore. :/

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    The Outlier Slim Dungarees look like they might be a good replacement for jeans. For those that have them, do you find them hotter than conventional jeans in the summer?

Reading reviews on Outlier, it looks like there was the "New OG", but I don't see that on the site. Closest thing to a casual dressy pant I saw was the Futureworks. If you've got a pair, how do they look and hang compared to a pair of cotton chinos?
    I've got a pair of the Futureworks and I love them. I work in a fairly casual office, and they're dressy enough to wear with a button-down. They're not going to be mistaken for wool slacks, but look like regular chinos. Wearing them with a dressier shirt is doable if you dress them up with the right shoes. They're more on the smart-casual side of the spectrum, though. The fabric looks and feels non-technical except at really close range. Likewise with the gusset -- if I'm man-sprawled in a chair the gusset looks pretty technical, but I don't sit that way.

The gusseted crotch is great for mobility and for biking.

They also hold up to the hype. I use them as bike-to-work pants as well. They're light and good for the summer. I live in California so don't have extreme heat and humidity to deal with, but just wore them on a trip to NYC this summer and they were fine. That being said, I ditched them for shorts for most of the trip.

I tried a pair of Slim Dungarees and they were too slim for me. Unlike the Lululemon pants mentioned in this thread, I found them PBC (pro-ball crushing). I generally wear straight fit jeans and pants, and found these too slim through the crotchal area. If they made them in a straight fit I'd buy a pair in a heartbeat.

I'd not heard of Makers & Riders before -- do either of their AeroDri pants (the wool jeans or trousers) have a gusseted crotch? Their website doesn't mention one but it looks like some of their previous models did. I'm at an age where riding a bike with regular seamed pants isn't fun anymore.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we bought a pair of beta brand best travel pants for my partner who is a bigger guy. They are nice but a bit tech looking.
    The worst part is they have a bit of a strange fit.

I am going to bluff works chinos for myself.

Does anyone have much experience with travel smith?

Texas Panhandle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My recent favorite pants are from Triple Aught Design. The fit (for me) is great. Several of the pants have extra pockets in them to help thwart pickpockets and/or simply carry quite the load out (my entire EDC goes in my pockets). I'm especially fond of the passport pockets on the inside of the rear pockets. Kuhl was king for me for many years, but after finding TAD last year, is a close second now. The fabrics in both of them are (again, for me) very tough but comfortable for long term wear. My first pair of TAD pants was their Legionnaire pants. I don't mind the cargo pant look. Liked them so much that I literally wore them for a month straight after purchasing them. I washed them several times overnight during that month and they were ready to go again in the morning. Currently using two pair of TAD pants (a pair of the Legionnaire and a pair of the Recon) and two pair of their shorts (the Force 10 and the Recon). The styling isn't going to be everyone's cup o' tea, but I'm not trying to look professional either. Comfort, followed by being tough as nails is what I look for. Much of Triple Aught Design's stuff is made towards military specs and usage, but the pants by themselves don't mark you as the OFWG trying his best for the tacticool look.
    Kris
    Texas Panhandle

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do love my Lululemon ABC...but I got 3 pairs of Kando slacks and a pair of Stretch slim fit jeans for about the same price at Uniqlo in Denver. These have 2-way stretch, are light, easy to wash, and pack thin. They also have complementary hemming. I can just about double the number of pants I can fit in my Western Flyer by swapping the regular wool/cotton slacks and jeans for these.

But alas, all are/have synthetics so not for the pyrophobes.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about heat (not the fire kind!) with these fancy tech fabrics? I'm a very warm-blooded guy, and I'd love to wear some comfy pants that didn't leave my behind feeling sweaty after sitting down for an hour+ in a lecture hall.
    DLBC (black Dyneema) **Missing Frown **, Synapse 25 Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), Synapse 19 (Navy/Wasabi), Aeronaut 45 Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), PCBP for TriStar (Iberian), Synapse 19 (Navy/Solar), Ristretto for iPad (Black/Wasabi), Large Shop Bag (Island),mini Q-kit, various packing cubes, stuff sacks, and pouches.

Retired but not forgotten: TriStar (Black/Wasabi), Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Solar), Synapse 25 (French Blue/Steel).

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast