Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love outlier Slim Dungarees, Outlier is my favorite brand of clothing by a long shot. Recently received some Lululemon ABC pants for Christmas -- they are incredibly comfy and more stretchy than the Slim Dungarees. For travel they seem perfect, also have a nice zipper pocket in the back. The upside is they cost less than the SD's, but we'll see how durable they are -- that remains to be seen (The SD's are built like a tank). For shorts I picked up some Taylor Stitch travel shorts, which is one of my favorite brands -- these are incredibly well made shorts, have hidden zipper pockets for travel, and can be used in the water while still passing off as a nice pair of shorts.
    Last edited by dustinst22; 01-24-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your recommendations. I ordered a bunch of pants for my husband for our upcoming trip, and he loved the Bluffworks Chinos. The pockets are exactly what he wanted -- hidden and lots of them. And the pants look like regular pants instead of "travel" pants or hiking pants. He also liked their shirts. I even ordered the Gramercy to see what the "Suit" pants look like.

Has anyone tried the Gramercy jacket?
    Last edited by BWeaves; 02-02-2018 at 05:50 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Thank you all for your recommendations. I ordered a bunch of pants for my husband for our upcoming trip, and he loved the Bluffworks Chinos. The pockets are exactly what he wanted -- hidden and lots of them. And the pants look like regular pants instead of "travel" pants or hiking pants. He also liked their shirts. I even ordered the Gramercy to see what the "Suit" pants look like.

Has anyone tried the Gramercy jacket?
    The Gramercy jacket is good. At a distance it looks like wool but up close you can it see itís not. It feels polyester-y. The drape is good not quite as crisp as wool. That said it performs well has the secure pockets and stays free of wrinkles for the most part. For me the fit is good.

Iím wearing the Gramercy pants as Iím typing this.

The ďOriginalsĒ look crisp and professional. They are nylon to the touch but by looks you wouldnít expect that.

Iíve wondered what a suit jacket would be like in the Originals fabric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johntubbs View Post
    The Gramercy jacket is good. At a distance it looks like wool but up close you can it see itís not. It feels polyester-y. The drape is good not quite as crisp as wool. That said it performs well has the secure pockets and stays free of wrinkles for the most part. For me the fit is good.

Iím wearing the Gramercy pants as Iím typing this.

The ďOriginalsĒ look crisp and professional. They are nylon to the touch but by looks you wouldnít expect that.

Iíve wondered what a suit jacket would be like in the Originals fabric.

@BWeaves
    Snarky Nomad did a review of the Gramercy... he also has some TB items in some of his bag reviews

https://snarkynomad.com/the-bluffwor...-finally-here/

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best jeans/pants for travel?

Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    @BWeaves
    Snarky Nomad did a review of the Gramercy... he also has some TB items in some of his bag reviews

https://snarkynomad.com/the-bluffwor...-finally-here/
    Gramercy pants update.

Iíve worn the pants 7 times or so and Iím noticing pulling on the between the side seam and the rear pocket. Iíve identified this to Bluffworks support. I will keep you posted.

Has anyone else noticed pilling with the Gramercy fabric?

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What rubs that area? For me, it would be my purse or over the shoulder totebag. Do you keep your wallet there? Is that the side that slides into your office chair first?

Hubby is retired and keeps his wallet in his front pocket, so he hasn't experienced any pilling yet. I do like the Gramercy pants on him. They look sharp. But the Chinos repel water like a waterproof jacket, and the Gramercy pants absorb it. I'm curious to see how these will hold up on our big trip. I even ordered a pair of Gramercy pants for my Dad, and he only wears fine wool and silk. But I wanted him to have the zip pockets since he's paying for everything on the tip. I don't want Dad pickpocketed.

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johntubbs View Post
    Gramercy pants update. I’ve worn the pants 7 times or so and I’m noticing pulling on the between the side seam and the rear pocket. I’ve identified this to Bluffworks support. I will keep you posted.
    Sorry to hear about the Gramercy starting to pill so soon!

I’ve been looking at the Gramercy blazer and pants, too, and was hoping they’d be durable.

I have a bunch of Bluffworks Originals and Chinos and like them a lot, except for the fact that all have developed shiny wear points over the zippers (both front and back).

Those shiny patches inevitably turn into white patches, which then eventually fray completely. Have had to retire more than half of my Bluffs waaaay before their time as a result, so have been hesitant to invest in the Gramercy line.

Bluffs' customer service is good about communicating/trying to make things right; hopefully they will take care of you. (When I told customer service about the zipper wear problem, they offered a discount code for future purchases, but no returns; the design has not been updated since then to address the issue, so I've switched over the Ministry of Supply for my pants.)

Most reviews have described the Gramercy as looking pretty organic, so I’m bummed to read it feels “polyester-y”. Can you describe the tactile feel / appearance a little more — perhaps in relation to the Oringinals that you have, if that helps?
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 03-27-2018 at 12:52 PM.

Connecticut
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting to hear about the shiny wear points yours have developed. I have seven pair that I rotate through for daily work wear and none have developed that - all are about 2-3 years old. My only issue with them is that they do tend to make a slight swishy sound when walking.
    --------------------------------

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bb93fo57 View Post

Most reviews have described the Gramercy as looking pretty organic, so Iím bummed to read it feels ďpolyester-yĒ. Can you describe the tactile feel / appearance a little more ó perhaps in relation to the Oringinals that you have, if that helps?
    The texture best called slippery and has static cling problems. (Itís winter here). The fabric misses a crispness that the Originals have. I donít mind it so much in the jacket.

The Originals have weave you can feel.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See, I thought the originals looked and felt like raincoat fabric, and had no stretch. And they were very, very shiny. The chinos are stretchy and more cotton looking, and repel water. The Gramercy have a bit of stretch and look like wool, although if you put real wool next to them, you'll know it's not wool.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a bunch of Bluffworks Originals and Chinos and like them a lot, except for the fact that all have developed shiny wear points over the zippers (both front and back).
    I have essentially the same experience. I have 5 pairs of originals in rotation, and I do wear them pretty often. They are developing shine on anything that gets abrasion, and the problem is exacerbated if something firmer is behind the fabric - like zippers, interfacing, multiple layers of fabric. This appears to be a relatively common problem with certain polyester fabrics.

Those shiny patches inevitably turn into white patches, which then eventually fray completely. Have had to retire more than half of my Bluffs waaaay before their time as a result, so have been hesitant to invest in the Gramercy line.
    Luckily, my experience hasn't been that extreme. I purchased most of my pairs during their original kickstarter run, and haven't had white patches develop.

Most reviews have described the Gramercy as looking pretty organic, so I’m bummed to read it feels “polyester-y”. Can you describe the tactile feel / appearance a little more — perhaps in relation to the Originals that you have, if that helps?
    The originals have a denser feel, and the material is less 'grabby'. I have the most static cling issues with the chinos, lesser with the grammercy fabric, and the least with the originals. The grammercy fabric is thicker than the chino fabric, and it has a less papery feel. Personally, I like the way the originals' fabric feels the most; I don't mind the 'slippery' feel. The grammery fabric is a heathered twill. I like the heathering in the fibers. The color variation makes it look more appealing than the flatness of the chino fabric. I also like the color variations in the originals. I have not put much wear on the jacket and pants yet - I will be interested to see if I also develop pilling or shiny spots.

Appreciate the feedback and heads up!

Forum Member
    lawrence ks
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't travel for work just pleasure but going to europe i will always were a jacket and pants, i like to look nice. bluffworks makes a nice pants ordered them all in several sizes) but for me they did not feel and fit correct. I do have some prana jeans that i like but i always wear or take my thunderbolt jeans, they are teh most comfortable pants i have ever put on. sleeping and lounging in them is wonderful. someone mentioned the $20 cosco pants, they are not nearly as comfortable but i do have 3 pair that i mostly wear around the house, comfortable fantastic value. what i want to mention is that i just received a pair of pants from Betabrands (took 4 months to arrive) called Dress Pants Sweat Pants and wow, they look and feel so nice. they have a heavy weight 4 way stretch that drapes very nicely when i put them on. they are heavy so i would only were them and not pack them but i am very impressed for $98.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the Bluffworks pants are not my husband's everyday choice because 100% poly isn't his favorite fabric. Mostly, we bought the Bluffworks because of the zippered pockets for travel and because they do NOT look like hiking pants. They look like nice dress pants. We don't dress like hikers in real life, so we don't want to look like hikers on holiday, either. We just want to look normal and not scream tourist, although I'm sure we'll definitely look like tourists anyway.

We are also impressed with Bluffworks shirts. They feel really nice, and not polyestery at all, even though they are.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone have any experience with duer no sweat pants or jeans? Iíve been meaning to try some as I think Iíll like the material better.....

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    Interesting to hear about the shiny wear points yours have developed. I have seven pair that I rotate through for daily work wear and none have developed that - all are about 2-3 years old. My only issue with them is that they do tend to make a slight swishy sound when walking.
    I did the same thing: bought 8 pairs that I rotated through for work.

Yeah, the swishy sound is definitely there, but I donít mind it (or the lack of any stretch to the fabric).

Love the Bluffs' internal pockets, fit, and virtually everything else about them.

The wear at the zipper points has me stumped.

I don't do anything that would unusually stress or abrade them (that I'm aware of): roughly half my day is spent at a computer and the other half shooting photos. The chair I use at my desk has a lot of padding, so the back pocket zipper of the Bluffs isn't rubbing against a hard/unforgiving surface like a cement bench or anything that might cause friction.

Have tried different belts, too, just in case a buckle might have been rubbing against the front zipper, but it hasn't made any difference. Every pair developed the shiny wear points, to one degree or another. None of my pants by other brands has developed wear in these spots.

While I was initially skeptical of the Ministry of Supply polyester pants in their Aviator/Going Places/Kinetic line, the warp knit material is super-stretchy and comfortable. They lack the great pocket organization of Bluffs, so for travel I still prefer my Bluffs Originals, but for daily work I tend to gravitate toward the MoS now. (An added bonus is that they are truly wrinkle-free. I would consider the Bluffs Originals to be wrinkle-resistant, rather than wrinkle-free, as the Originals develop stubborn wrinkles behind the knees.)

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast