Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squaredot View Post
    The originals have a denser feel, and the material is less 'grabby'. I have the most static cling issues with the chinos, lesser with the grammercy fabric, and the least with the originals. The grammercy fabric is thicker than the chino fabric, and it has a less papery feel. Personally, I like the way the originals' fabric feels the most; I don't mind the 'slippery' feel. The grammery fabric is a heathered twill. I like the heathering in the fibers. The color variation makes it look more appealing than the flatness of the chino fabric. I also like the color variations in the originals. I have not put much wear on the jacket and pants yet - I will be interested to see if I also develop pilling or shiny spots.
    Thanks for the detailed description of the Gramercy fabric compares to the others. Very helpful.

Appreciate it!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bb93fo57 View Post
    The wear at the zipper points has me stumped.
    Polyester as a fiber will start to develop sheen as the fiber itself gets 'polished' by wear. Some websites talk about washing them inside-out, or using bathroom hydrogen peroxide to life the fiber shaft 'nap'. Any rubbing, no matter how slight, will start to produce this effect eventually. How quickly this will happen with a given fabric depends on the way the fiber is structured due to its production process, along with the type of wear. Different polyester fiber spinning, twisting, etc methods change how hardy the fiber is and how much it mediates this effect.

For me, I find the zipper shininess is the result of my belt or other stuff pushing the fly placket onto the zipper, especially as I sit at my desk. I do not tumble dry my pants at all. I haven't seen as much shininess around the back zipper, but some additional shine on the seat of the pants.

I did get a whitish abrasion on the back left pocket of a navy pair, from concrete wall. I used heat to reduce the fuzzy abrasion. (Lightly passed a flame over the area. YMMV, obviously! You could melt them with the quickness.)
    Last edited by squaredot; 03-29-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had decided to swear off trying any more technical travel pants for a while, but when I spotted a like-new pair of Lululemon ABC pants at a local thrift store, I couldn't resist.

They are reminiscent of the Ministry of Supply 5-pockets in their jeans-y styling, but with a denser/more robust fabric and more travel-friendly details (like a zippered passport pocket and reflective trim at the hems).

I'm pretty impressed, but that could have something to do with the fact that I paid eight bucks for them, as opposed to the retail price of $128. :-)

More casual than the Bluffs Originals, but not as dweeby as the Kuhl Renegade, and better put together than the Prana Brion, they might be worth a look if you are in the market for a durable casual travel pant that is more foregiving / less tapered than the Outlier Slim Dungarees or the Bluffs tailored Chinos.

They seem completely wrinkle-free.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought a few pairs of the Lululemon ABC pants and have been happy with them, certainly would have been happier for $8! The stretch makes them good lounge pants, and they do double duty for business casual dress. That and the fact that they rinse and dry easily is why I use them for travel. They are less comfortable than jeans when walking in a sweltering southern summer, and on an unconditioned flight they can get a little sticky.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting interview with Bluffworks' founder on the podcast The Pitch:

https://shop.bluffworks.com/blogs/jo...h-podcast-whoa

They are planning to add women's clothing to their lineup and to move production offshore.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garuda View Post
    Anyone have any experience with duer no sweat pants or jeans? Iíve been meaning to try some as I think Iíll like the material better.....
    I have one pair of Du/er Performance Denim Slim jeans and 2 pairs of the Live Lite A/C Pant Slim. The denim look and feel just like any other jeans to me. I like them and wear them pretty often, at home and while traveling. I can't honestly say they feel any cooler than regular jeans though. The A/C Pant on the other hand does feel a lot lighter and cooler than jeans. Plus they have a zipper on the upper thigh that opens to a ventilated panel for more air flow. They don't look like jeans, more like cotton pants or khakis. I don't wear them as often only because jeans are more my style, but since they are so comfortable I plan to bring one pair as my only long pants when I go to Cambodia later this month. If you are planning to buy a pair of either, I recommend buying a size smaller... maybe even 2 sizes smaller because of the stretch of the fabric.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option to add to the pool, on the more affordable end of the spectrum: Eddie Bauer's Horizon Guide Travex line.

I needed another pair of travel pants like I need a hole in my head, but when I spotted a new pair of these $70 five-pocket pants for $9 at my favorite local thrift, I couldn't say 'no.'

Think a lighter-weight Prana Brion... jeans-y styling, comfy fabric, StormRepel DWR finish, UPF 50+ sun protection, etc.

Pros: nice price (especially given EB's regular sales), slim/straight cut isn't absurdly skinny, nylon/spandex blend is stretchy and forgoes garish flourishes that scream "technical."

Cons: no travel-specific features like concealed zippered pockets, telltale synthetic "swish"-y sound when moving.

If you are in the market for a casual jean-styled travel pant that is really comfortable, lightweight and highly-packable, it is easy to do worse.

If I were forced to choose between these at their online sale price of $49/pair (with the current 30%-off-everything Eddie Bauer sale code "climb") and Outlier's Slim Dungarees at $198/pair, I'd probably buy two of the EB in different colors and put the $100 savings into my TB bag fund. :-)

They also come in a chino style.
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 08-11-2018 at 04:35 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest a good look at Men's or Woman's Adventure Khaki Pant from railriders dot com
    It is great company with iron strong clothing. Used by many adventure seekers all around the world. Like TB it caters to the niche segment but with the highest standards and quality.
    I own many of their offerings and never was disappointed.
    Last edited by Petros.Kyrillos; 11-12-2018 at 12:00 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone suggested Columbia Travel Pants to me on this forum a couple years ago. I now own 10 pairs, use them at work and think good thoughts about that TBer every time I pack for the next
    adventure. Theyíre awesome.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just noticed that Chase Reeves reviewed a bunch of pants, might be of interest to this thread!

https://youtu.be/E7eMr_YDQZo

Also make sure to look for his hilarious S25 review if you haven't seen it linked on the forums before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nate5182 View Post
    I have one pair of Du/er Performance Denim Slim jeans and 2 pairs of the Live Lite A/C Pant Slim. The denim look and feel just like any other jeans to me. I like them and wear them pretty often, at home and while traveling. I can't honestly say they feel any cooler than regular jeans though. The A/C Pant on the other hand does feel a lot lighter and cooler than jeans. Plus they have a zipper on the upper thigh that opens to a ventilated panel for more air flow. They don't look like jeans, more like cotton pants or khakis. I don't wear them as often only because jeans are more my style, but since they are so comfortable I plan to bring one pair as my only long pants when I go to Cambodia later this month. If you are planning to buy a pair of either, I recommend buying a size smaller... maybe even 2 sizes smaller because of the stretch of the fabric.
    Thanks for the advice Nate! I went ahead and bought a pair of the live lite AC as well as the jeans during the Black Friday sale. No returns for sale items but figured I could always resell them a few months later if it didnít fit. Your recommendations were spot on with sizing and the fabrics.

These feel much better given they are predominantly natural fibers.

As much as I liked my slim dungarees, i still felt they were too skinny for my taste.

Also, as others have echoed, I still find synthetic fibers to be hot, that includes the new way longs shorts made of the lighter weight future works material.

I still want to try their 60/30 chino, as I have a pair of boardshorts that have a similar blend that feels natural. Only problem is I live where itís warm and $267!?!? Yikes!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9