Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Forum Member
    Bettendorf, IA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best jeans/pants for travel?

All,

I'm in the middle of my first trip with TB bags. More on that in another post.

I'm wondering what other guys (men) wear for pants when traveling, for comfort. My most frequent, once a month, travel involves driving 3-6 hours in the car, twice over the course of a weekend. I've usually worn jeans, but seem to sweat so much in them that they need to be washed. This occurs even in winter. I would wear sweatpants but they look a little sloppy if I were to stop along the way.

I've looked into "traveler jeans" from Banana Republic, but they are always out of stock in my left corner of the bell curve size. And some have poor reviews.

Do any TB'er men have recommendations on pants for sitting for extended periods of time?

Thanks!

Connecticut
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear Bluffworks pants every day for work. They are perfect travel pants, but maybe more dressy than you want.
    --------------------------------

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a few pairs of ll bean cotton chinos which are my favorite travel pants. Darker colors work great and let air through

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear Outlier's Slim Dungarees. They're a little on the pricey side but totally worth it. They look good casual and semi formal and they're waterproof too. You should check out the review on Snarky Nomad.

An obsessive review of Outlier’s Slim Dungarees – Snarky Nomad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeans are notoriously sweaty, even for women. Plus, they're bulky. I never travel with jeans.

Since the problem seems to be while driving for hours, it might not be the pants.
    Have you looked into a mesh seat cover, or those wooden bead seat covers that allow air to circulate between you and the seat?

Forum Member
    Upstate NY
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Jeans are notoriously sweaty, even for women. Plus, they're bulky. I never travel with jeans.

Since the problem seems to be while driving for hours, it might not be the pants.
    Have you looked into a mesh seat cover, or those wooden bead seat covers that allow air to circulate between you and the seat?
    While a seat cover could be helpful, be very careful since it has the potential to interfere with the side airbags that typically deploy from the seat in event of an accident.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best jeans/pants for travel?

BE CAUTIOUS ABOUT ADVICE HERE ABOUT OUTLIER PANTS.

They're spectacular. People here gave advice in prior posts. I gasped at $200 for pants, but I ended up buying two -- and have basically worn them every casual day for months.

Super comfortable -- driving, walking, sitting, etc. Nice enough to go from casual to a non-formal work. Stretchy enough to climb through a playground with a toddler. Plus they're really light and non-wrinkle for travel.

OUTLIER will pay for return shipping. That's what got me in the end. I paid for the pants and could send them back and get back all my money. I decided that they're perfect.

But again, be careful. This forum got me into merino shirts and OUTLIER pants. They're amazing, but I'm packing lunch every day to save money to fund my purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend who swears by Lululemon's ABC pant for men. He bought 2 pairs after we met a guy at a coffee shop who was wearing them and raved about how great they are. The guy at the coffee shop said he'd worn them for 364 days of the last year and the only day he didn't wear them was his wedding day because his future wife/mother-in-law had other plans

Hilarious side note: ABC stands for "anti-ball crushing" - for real!

Forum Member
    Utah
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two suggestions. I like the Backcountry Khakis made by Railriders. They look like conventional khakis, just not quite as formal. They are made of a very durable, hard to wrinkle, dirt repelling nylon fabric. A guy's dream; you can literally wear the same pair for days. They fit like a moderately relaxed pair of jeans. The pockets have zippers, which is a real plus for travel. Sadly, there are not many color options.

Of late, I have been wearing Kuhl Renegade Pants for travel. These are hiking pants but have clean enough lines to be fine for the casual travel that I do. The nylon/spandex fabric is amazing. It stretches, repels water (not water proof) and breathes well. Fit is also like moderately relaxed jeans. There is a small zippered pocket on each thigh. These are not as large as the zippered pockets on the Railriders.

Kuhl also makes a Renegade Jean from the same material. As the name implies, they are configured more like jeans than a pair of hiking pants.

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Kuhl's too, nice pant. On thing I'll add, and I'm probably over cautious, but I never travel in synthetic fibers because they can melt to your skin in a fire; so for hotels and airplanes, it's cotton only for me.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little cheaper than some of the other options mentioned, I LOVE LOVE my Prana Jeans. They're pretty lightweight, stretchy, and don't get quite as sweaty-nasty as my levis do on a long drive. At 6'3" and 245 freedom units, I'm a pretty warm fellow most of the time!

They're definitely lighter-weight than regular denim, so they pack better than a heavy pair of jeans. I probably wear them 80% of the time I'm not forced to wear either business casual or scrubs. (Actually, if you can get away with it, wear scrubs. They're basically pajamas.)

Judging by the photos, I think they're these jeans, but they might also be these...
    DLBC (black Dyneema) **Missing **, Synapse 25 Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), Synapse 19 (Navy/Wasabi), Aeronaut 45 Black Dyneema/Ultraviolet), PCBP for TriStar (Iberian), Synapse 19 (Navy/Solar), Ristretto for iPad (Black/Wasabi), Large Shop Bag (Island),mini Q-kit, various packing cubes, stuff sacks, and pouches.

Retired but not forgotten: TriStar (Black/Wasabi), Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Solar), Synapse 25 (French Blue/Steel).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Bluffworks are great for more of a business casual style; I also like the Rohan Jeans Plus for travel jeans, they're much more compact than regular jeans and being thinner, they are a bit cooler as well. I did two weeks in France with two pairs of Bluffworks and one pair of the Rohans and they all worked very well.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear Cotopaxi Samburu pants. They're just rebranded LEDGE pants -- super soft, stretchy, look dressy enough for me, stain resistant, etc.

They're the only pants I really travel with anymore and I give them a hearty recommendation.

Forum Member
    Denver, CO
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanito View Post
    I have two suggestions. I like the Backcountry Khakis made by Railriders. They look like conventional khakis, just not quite as formal. They are made of a very durable, hard to wrinkle, dirt repelling nylon fabric. A guy's dream; you can literally wear the same pair for days. They fit like a moderately relaxed pair of jeans. The pockets have zippers, which is a real plus for travel. Sadly, there are not many color options.

Of late, I have been wearing Kuhl Renegade Pants for travel. These are hiking pants but have clean enough lines to be fine for the casual travel that I do. The nylon/spandex fabric is amazing. It stretches, repels water (not water proof) and breathes well. Fit is also like moderately relaxed jeans. There is a small zippered pocket on each thigh. These are not as large as the zippered pockets on the Railriders.

Kuhl also makes a Renegade Jean from the same material. As the name implies, they are configured more like jeans than a pair of hiking pants.
    I travel with Railriders Khakis as well, in addition to their Adventure shirts, and a pair of their Eco Mesh Pants for hot weather and one of their shorts, whose name escapes me. Excellent company, highly recommended.
    Last edited by Climb14er; 11-24-2016 at 09:41 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My travel wear of choice are prAna Stretch Zion Pants. Light, durable, and easy to hand wash and dry.

prAna Stretch Zion Pant | Mens Climbing, Hiking & Casual | prAna

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast