Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Packing for the holidays

I'm sitting at work mentally compiling my packing list and strategy for my holiday trip. I'm flying and taking many breakable containers with various foodstuffs, drinks, and potions. Oh, for the days of unlimited liquid carry-ons!!

I'll be checking a carry-on sized wheelie with inflatable wine sleeves (plus strategically placed bubble wrap) for the jars and bottles. I'll round out the padding with clothes--brrrr, winter in the midwest, but at least it makes for good cushioning. My laptop and necessities will be coming on the plane with me in my S25.

What are your favorite packing tactics for making sure gifts and goodies arrive intact for holiday travel?

Safe and happy travels to everyone here, for the holidays and throughout the New Year!!
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

MA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite strategy is to have multiple young children and make everyone come to me (this may not work or be desireable for everyone).

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "What are your favorite packing tactics for making sure gifts and goodies arrive intact for holiday travel?"

Convince everyone that gelt (money) is the traditional Chanukah gift.

Also, mailing actual gifts ahead of time, so all I have to do is show up.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    ...What are your favorite packing tactics for making sure gifts and goodies arrive intact for holiday travel?...
    Drive.

But then again, all 6 or so of our various holiday celebrations tend to be within a few miles of each other. It's one benefit of living local to the rest of your family.

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your technique sounds pretty good to me. Years ago I did a youth program in the third world and brought back a bunch of cognac for relatives. I was 19 and didn't know about the 2 liter rule. I think I had about 14 liters in my check suitcase that was stuffed to the gills with old clothes. It all made it.

Nowadays I tell them my presence is the gift and take everyone out for dinner once I get there. (and yes I'm teasing when I say I'm the gift but I definitely take everyone out for dinner)

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^should probably add I never drank any. I never developed a taste for it.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also tell my relatives that "our presence is your presents." It's expensive to fly up and stay a week in a B&B, so our presence really is their presents. We don't get on their nerves when we don't stay with them, so win/win.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: despite TSA literally taking the time to deflate all the inflatable wine sleeves (at a guess to test the air inside was safe?!!?!%#%#&) all my breakables arrived intact. And the tasty treats were appreciated by all. Hoping the wine headed home right now has the same luck!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

North of the TB Mothership
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back when we used to travel for the holidays - gifts went in a giant tote bag I carried on or in a wheelie suitcase we could carry on. My son and I always shared a suitcase for clothes so bringing an extra wheelie on-board was never a problem.

Nowadays I am just thankful for Amazon, much as I prefer to shop local, sometimes shipping direct is better.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ship 90% of our gifts directly to my family where we spend the holidays. Sometimes if I'm traveling within the US and find good local/handmade gifts I'll mail those via a flat-rate box -- this works even when it's nowhere near the holidays. I do bring an extra tote with me though to carry home all the extra goodies I get!

Manhattan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by investigator View Post
    We ship 90% of our gifts directly to my family where we spend the holidays. Sometimes if I'm traveling within the US and find good local/handmade gifts I'll mail those via a flat-rate box -- this works even when it's nowhere near the holidays. I do bring an extra tote with me though to carry home all the extra goodies I get!
    THIS!!

And any gifts or extras I get I Federal Express them back to myself.