Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best packable pants for hard-to-fit women?

I should probably specify that after 3 children, I'm about 20 pounds overweight, all of which is in my midsection (but I'm working on that). I also have a 29-inch inseam, so that combination makes it tough to find things that fit and look good.

For casual, I prefer tie waist to elastic (always falls down, due to muffin top). Does anything exist that's comfy AND professional-ish?

I usually travel with Synapse 25 and a small wheeled carry-on.

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pair of Columbia Sportswear PFG Aruba pants. They pack down small, dry very quickly, and are professional enough to pass at work. They're actually pretty good dupes for Anatomie pants at a small fraction the price. They are not very warm, though so if you want them in a colder environment, I'd wear tights under them.

https://www.rei.com/product/112341/c...FQGRfgodchIFaw

My other go-tos are the stretchy and comfortable Eddie Bauer Ponte pants. They still pack well, go well with boots and tunics, can pass for leggings or yoga pants if needed, and are considerably warmer than the Columbia pants above.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/women-s-passenger-ponte-skinny-pants/20902289/_/A-ebSku_0095124400001014__20902289_catalog10002_en__ US?showProducts=111&color=100C1?$mainimageV2$&cm_m mc=GooglePLA-_-brand_PLA_Brand-_-Brand_All_Products-_-0095124100001016&cvosrc=cse.google.009512410000101 6&cvo_campaign=brand_PLA_Brand&gclid=CPa7wZHWmdECF UlyfgodlBkGuA

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Arubas look like they might be good! Where does the waistband fall? I'm high-waisted (I have no idea how, if my legs are short), and with the 3-baby-belly, anything low-waisted = Major Muffin Top.

The Eddie Bauers look supremely comfy--but might emphasize unwanted bulginess.

Have you ever tried this one? It looks a little more forgiving of relaxed
    bellies, but not sure how well it packs. And that waist looks awfully low...

Women's New Girl On The Go® Knit Pants | Eddie Bauer

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of warmth are you looking for? I have several pants in The City collection from Athleta. The regular pant is very thin, but some of them come in a lined version. I'm 5'1" and they have a nice selection of petites. My favorite is the Aspire (in regular length so they fit like pants) and La Viva (they look nice cinched for a casual look, and uncinched for a slightly dressier look). I have been wanting to get the Midtown Trouser, but have not splurged yet. They all do have an elastic waist, but some also have a tie.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Izzy, I'm not sure how curvy lady sizes fit but you might want to check out the Halle Pant by Prana. They come in 3 lengths and they have a draw string. I love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    The Arubas look like they might be good! Where does the waistband fall? I'm high-waisted (I have no idea how, if my legs are short), and with the 3-baby-belly, anything low-waisted = Major Muffin Top.

The Eddie Bauers look supremely comfy--but might emphasize unwanted bulginess.

Have you ever tried this one? It looks a little more forgiving of relaxed
    bellies, but not sure how well it packs. And that waist looks awfully low...

Women's New Girl On The Go® Knit Pants | Eddie Bauer
    The waist on the Arubas is pretty high (not low or mid rise, but not what I would call a "high" waist) and the pants have a little stretch anyway, so they're pretty forgiving.

The Girl on the Go Pants look great! I'll have to scope them out next time I'm at the EB store.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the Athleta rec. I have their Midtown trousers and have worn them with Icebreaker leggings underneath for warmth. (so that way they work for both warm and cool temps) I also like Athleta's High-Rise Chaturanga bootcut leggings, they are flattering and forgiving. Smilie Even if the petite sizes are out of stock I've had good results just getting them hemmed at the store (or the seamstress at the dry cleaners'). Both the Midtown and Chaturanga styles work well dressed up - I wear them with a cardigan - or dressed down - with a hoodie/tank top. So for travel they are quite light and can serve 2-3 functions quite nicely - daytime casual, evening dress-up, even working out!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    What kind of warmth are you looking for? I have several pants in The City collection from Athleta. The regular pant is very thin, but some of them come in a lined version. I'm 5'1" and they have a nice selection of petites. My favorite is the Aspire (in regular length so they fit like pants) and La Viva (they look nice cinched for a casual look, and uncinched for a slightly dressier look). I have been wanting to get the Midtown Trouser, but have not splurged yet. They all do have an elastic waist, but some also have a tie.
    Last edited by haraya; 12-29-2016 at 04:11 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Columbia Back Beauty pants! I wore one pair for years and years until my daughter peed on me before a cross-country flight. I silently cried as I threw them away in the airport bathroom after putting on the overpriced airport tourist shop sweatpants that at least smelled clean. I love them. They come in boot cut and straight leg; I prefer the straight leg. I've worn them in the southeast Asian tropics and trekking in the Andes and they've taken all kinds of beating without any damage, until my daughter's diaper gave out. I also wear them to work in the suburban jungle at least once a week - throw a nice tunic or cardigan over them and you've got casual Friday locked down.

FYI, I'm usually an 8/10/M but have these in L and let them shrink a bit. Try a pair. You will not regret it.

Houston, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Casual Travel? Duluth Trading Post Dry on the Fly or Eddie Bauer. Professionalish? Eddie Bauer Stayshape.
    Last edited by Kerrpe; 12-30-2016 at 07:27 PM.
    Order and simplification are the first steps towards mastery of a subject ― Thomas Mann

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, everyone--lots of great ideas!

I haven't tried them on yet, but apparently Old Navy has some high waisted yoga pants! Workout Pants & Athletic Pants for Women | Old Navy

Happy New Year, everyone!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a little late to this, but I want to give love to the Outdoor Voices Stretch Crepe Track Pants. I loved them so much I bought a second pair.

I bought the first pair last summer to wear to Shetland, and they have become my go-to pants. (Another pair of hiking pants I bought for this trip have languished in my closet since.) I didn't really wear pants much before, but now I wear them all the time. They are, for me, the perfect travel pants (so much so that it might appear that I own one pair of pants if one was to look at my photos). They are water resistant. They look professional, not at all like athleisure or whatever, but just like pants. They are absurdly comfortable: one of the reasons I never wore pants was I found dresses better, but these stretch enough, move with me, etc. etc. It's an elastic waist, without a drawstring (so unfortunately not meeting @Izzy's request for that feature). Sizing is generous: I have proportionally very large hips, and wear a 10 or 12 in most other pants, but I can wear either the Medium (tighter) or Large (a bit more generous, but still fits, only issue is they ride down a little when I'm carrying, say, an Aeronaut on my back), so they're not just for very slim 20-somethings.

Shipping and returns are free, and customer service has been great.

The inseam is short, so is a cropped ankle length on me (I'm 5'7, and would generally take a 32" inseam), so fine for more petite ladies.

Again, I really, really like these pants.

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    +1 on the Athleta rec. I have their Midtown trousers and have worn them with Icebreaker leggings underneath for warmth. (so that way they work for both warm and cool temps) I also like Athleta's High-Rise Chaturanga bootcut leggings, they are flattering and forgiving. Smilie Even if the petite sizes are out of stock I've had good results just getting them hemmed at the store (or the seamstress at the dry cleaners'). Both the Midtown and Chaturanga styles work well dressed up - I wear them with a cardigan - or dressed down - with a hoodie/tank top. So for travel they are quite light and can serve 2-3 functions quite nicely - daytime casual, evening dress-up, even working out!
    @haraya, I finally took the plunge with the Midtown Trouser because I got them on sale and an extra 20% off. I feel like I'm cheating (like I feel with the Aspire ankle pant). These definitely look like dress pants (way more than the La Viva), but are so stretchy and forgiving. For work, I have to wear them with a slight heel, but I can cinch the bottoms a little if I want to dress it down with sneakers. They are my new favorite work pants (and today is the second time this week I am wearing them). I also bought the Navy.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay!! I wore my gray pinstriped pair last night, actually. Smilie *fistbump* I can't cinch the bottoms on mine though (I am short enough that I had to hem them above the drawstring! ;P).

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eileen Fisher's crepe pants are amazing. On the $$$ side but they will last forever, wash well, and are very packable. They come in a few different cuts (wide leg, ankle, slim, etc.) and are elastic waist. I highly recommend.

Slim Ankle Pant with Yoke in Washable Stretch Crepe | EILEEN FISHER