Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to wear to a march

I hesitate to bring this up, because I don't want to start a political discussion, but purely from a logistics standpoint, I was interested in the question of what one should bring to a super-crowded situation such as a march. It's been a while since I've participated in one. I happened to find this article, and the author recommends the Small Cafe Bag!

I plan to carry a Nordic Side Kick, actually, if I can't fit everything in my pockets. My wallet might even go in a money belt since I won't be using it most of the day.

If this topic is, or becomes, too controversial, the mods should feel free to delete it.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My vote would be for no bag, and fit everything in your pockets. Especially if this is in winter in a cold place, you should have plenty of pockets with whatever you wear. A jacket with an inside pocket for your wallet (or just ID and a handful of credit cards and health insurance card) is ideal.

If you do take a bag, the small cafe bag would probably be my choice. I'd suggest making the strap length such that the bag is level with your hand so that you can reach down and press the bag to your side if you are in a super-crowded spot where you are getting jostled around. In any case, comfy shoes and warm clothes are going to be more important than the bag you take, I think!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thought was to put my valuable things -- cash, cards, transit card, and phone -- on my body or in pockets. The Side Kick or Small Cafe Bag would be for tissues, snacks, and other non-critical items. But yeah, probably no bag at all would be best.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would bring a small bag for the reasons you indicate. You might want to toss in some extra hand/toe warmers and even a small first aid kit. The last January march I did I encountered some folks who were not quite prepared for the cold so it was good to have a few extra to share. I think a small bag like the SK or SCB is slim enough to not get in the way in crowded spaces. Be safe!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends what your role is. I'm a photographer so I carry a small kit to a full kit in various bags, typically converting my Astronaut into a backpack camera bag. You need plenty of hydration and some energy bars, stuffed into pockets.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd either wear a bag fanny-pack style in front (I use a PCSB like that often) or a Daylight Backpack, just because it holds a lot, is low profile, and I love it.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are not allowed to hold demonstrations without a permit from the authorities, so I have no experience to draw on... but perhaps the SCB would be better. It's deeper, but that would prevent things from falling out. I also do like the fact that the cafe bags have a flap with no zip top. It means you can reach in to grab stuff without having to unzip anything, while the flap ensures some degree of security.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, a small cross-body bag like the SCB or SK would probably be the most practical. You can wear it under your coat for security. Allows you to be hands-free if you need to move fast; plus it's sleeker, not as likely to get caught on something.

I think when I went to a march I had a backpack for my camera, but basically had my camera around my neck the whole time. So I wouldn't bring one again.

I'd bring a small flashlight and bandanna (or scarf, which you'll likely have since it'll be cold) just in case you take the Metro and the train gets stuck.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Water, snacks, flashlight and because it's D.C. Scarf& warm hat/mittens. I find D.C. A wind tunnel in the best of weather

Forum Member
    NC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd carry as much as possible in my pockets, and if I needed to carry more, wear a SE under my coat, probably with a hip belt. Cross-body would work too, but I find it less comfortable for long periods of time.

Forum Member
    North Queensland, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good suggestions. Side Kick worn with waist strap might be most comfy? I'd think about whatever bag setup best helps you manage your water bottles.

Also, I'd dress in many layers, just in case it gets hot in the crowd despite the weather. Although I've attended many a march, my memories of my one DC mega-march are dominated by how it felt to be a surrounded by a sea of other people. It was spring-jacket weather, but I was hot in only a t-shirt.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on the fit of your outerwear, I'd be inclined to go with significant things in close to the body pockets and wear the Sidekick across my person with the outerlayer over it. Present but unseen.

South of France
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say: bring nothing. A bit of cash in a pocket and an ID somewhere else, and that's it. Who needs to bring credit cards to a march? You can check the weather beforehand to make sure you are dressed properly. If really you want to wear a bag, I would say something small and close to the body, in case you need to run. But that may be a French approach Smilie Smilie Smilie

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly I'd just dress in comfortable clothing for the weather. Definitely good walking shoes are a must. Good sunscreen, sunglasses, etc.

Wisconsin
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melhoune View Post
    I would say something small and close to the body, in case you need to run.
    Not bad advice at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast