Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Travel kits

Forum Member
    Oklahoma but I'm a native Kansan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel kits

There is likely a thread with this title, but when I did a search, it didn't come up----

Does anyone have this travel kit of bottles/jars?

https://www.nalgene.com/product/9940-0001/

I know most products are BPA free now, but there wasn't much info. on the site that was able to find on the product itself. I bought this locally in an outdoor store we have here. I just wondered if it was indeed BPA free? I sent a note to Nalgene, but since it's late in the day, not sure I will get a response today.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought that kit for my dad, so I texted him to ask: he said he thinks so. Smilie

For what it's worth, the Amazon.com listing for it says that it is BPA free.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Kathryn -- I never think to check on Amazon because I've never purchased anything from them.

I read through a few of the reviews and it looks like they should work; most seem to say they don't leak either -- which is a little surprising considering what type of lid is on them.

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have them and use them all the time. They definitely don't leak, and are easy to clean and refill. I highly recommend them.
    Last edited by kieri; 01-28-2017 at 02:58 PM.

Forum Member
    Washington, DC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me, too; Nalgene bottles are my go-to travel bottles. I buy them as separates, though. Never had an issue.

Forum Member
    davenport, ia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used these same nalgene guys for something like 15 years now, never not been satisfied with them.

the individual containers can also be purchased separately from the container store (available both online and in store)

Forum Member
    Chicago
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto to all. My only complaint is that they don't make a 3-oz size bottle. But, really, I almost never go on a trip long enough to use up 3 ounces of anything!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used their large travel kit for years. They are great. Not one has leaked.

There are a few 4 oz bottles in that set but I have never had a problem with the larger size with TSA. I would guess that look smaller than they are.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's great to see so many positive reviews! I wanted to dispose of some of my older plastic containers because I just felt like these might be better for storage for travel purposes.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like using contact lens cases. I find that they hold about 4 days of most toiletries, and that is about all I need most of the time.

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weird coincidence. I did actually buy that exact kit off Amazon a while ago, and I was pretty unimpressed. I bought the kit for the purpose of a traveling medicine cabinet.

The plastic isn't all that great. It's fine for what it is, but it's thicker and heavier than it needs to be, especially considering that the bottles are NOT very waterproof and do leak liquids. The plastic generally feels cheaper and less durable than what I would expect from the Nalgene brand, and they try to make up for it in thickness. In terms of organization and labeling, you gain basically nothing. The lids didn't pop open in my bag or anything, but they didn't close or open in any kind of satisfying way.

Finally, in terms or organizing pills, I've continuously found that ziplock bags can't be beat, especially the half-sized ones.

For liquids, I'm relatively happy with my Gotubes. They feel just right, don't leak, are easy to fill and clean, and are made with a grippy plastic that you won't drop. My only complain with Gotubes is that the suction cups simply don't hold, so suction cupping them to the wall of the shower won't work for more than an hour or two, at which point you'll hear them fall down.

YMMV, I suppose.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it's what I put in it (hair conditioner), but I found that the Go Tube was not that easy to clean. I don't know if the Nalgene plastic bottles will be either, but they served the purpose on our most recent trip. I'll see how easy they are to clean.

I generally don't fly, but rather take road trips, so that factors into my decisions also.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been very unimpressed with the squeezable silicon bottles like GoTube. They leaked. And the silicon reacts badly with a whole list of liquids you cannot put in them.

I finally tried an inexpensive set of plastic bottles that came with stick on labels for common items like shampoo and conditioner. BPA free. Bought them at my local drug store. "Nice" brand.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/ni...324227-product

They did not leak. They were easy to clean. Nothing reacted badly with the plastic. And they were just flexible enough that you could squeeze the contents out.

I find that when the travel bottle is too rigid, you can't get any hand pressure going to get the contents out.
    If the bottle is too flexible is expands and contracts when the plane pressurizes or depressurizes and that's when things leak.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my Nalgene bottles and jars individually at the Container Store and have used them on 4 flights. Performed great. No leaks. No complaints. Much better quality plastic than my previous travel bottles purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond.

https://www.containerstore.com/s/tra...uctId=10000247