Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    U.K
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Synapse 19 for Rome

Hi everyone.

Thought I would share my packing list for My trip to Rome coming up in March. Ay tips you have for things i could cut or add and things to do would be appreciated.

So I'm hoping the new Synapse 19 black/Island (absolutely love this colour combo) will be in stock and be delivered to the UK before my trip otherwise I'm taking my Black/Iberiun. I just don't get on with this as much due to the wider strap placement. Now I'm planning on taking just the synapse 19 for 1 week trip. Bit tricky as I will need more formal stuff for nights out but I love the challenge. This will be my first time using hand luggage only for a trip longer than 3 days so I'm newish to the minimalist packing thing.

In the Synapse:
    1 pair of icebreaker socks
    1 pair of ice breaker boxers
    2 pairs of icebreaker tshirts (1 for sleeping in)
    1 icebreaker long sleeve shirt
    1 pair of black jeans (great for being bit more formal and they are not as heavy as most denim)
    Sunglasses
    Hydroflask water bottle

Ive got 1 of each stuff sack in solar so I plan to have the clothes in which ever one will fit.

Got a 3d organiser cube with mesh front I keep in the lower pocket this I have My electronics in:
    mu folding single plug (these are great for space saving)
    Europe travel adapter
    pebble battery charger (I usually watch films on my phone on plane so handy to charge my phone at same time)
    1 usb Cable
    1 Bluetooth speaker (might ditch this as I usually never use it)
    Usb stick with copies of all my travel documents & photo copy of passport etc. I don't bother with any paper copies
    MBI HF Torch

I have a padded organiser pouch I keep headphones in as well.

1 small stuff sack with toiletries:
    Toothbrush
    Floss
    Hair clay
    small tub with some painkillers
    (everything else I buy there but some places you stay provide stuff anyway)

Thats it apart from what I will be wearing.

My gf thinks I'm mad haha and she will be taking a big case no doubt. Ill probably end up carrying both so I think thats another reason for packing light Smilie

Best changed I've done recently is get the merino wool clothing. Ill be staying at a airbnb so I can always wash stuff if I need to.

Ill be wearing:
    Jeans
    Icebreaker Tshirt
    Black Zipped Hoody (can't afford icebreaker so perhaps next time)
    Icebreaker Socks
    Icebreaker Boxers
    Black Toms (Shoes) these i find I can get away with as smart as well as casual
    Watch, phone & Wallet, passport etc

David

Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great packing list! Hydroflasks are heavy-ish. But between that and the Bluetooth speaker I'd cut the speaker.
    Will you have a jacket besides the hoody? On my recent trip to London I pretty much lived in a Patagonia nano air hoody, which was warm and slightly water resistant.
    You also reminded me that I have a slip of paper still stuck under an insole in my shoe that has all my bank and passport information. A thumb drive sounds a bit more practical lol.

U.K
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah they are a bit heavy but I love filling it with ice because it keeps drinks really cold all day. I plan to leave most stuff at the apartment we have so it will only be filled up when sight seeing.

Yeah forgot to mention I have a light rain coat Ill be packing or wearing if I can't get it in. I do like the patagonia's that pack into their own pocket and will be on my list if i could afford it. Im keeping my money for the new SynapseSmilie priorities haha Ill sell my older synapse when i get back so perhaps I should put the money towards that Smilie .. i just saw that jacket is on sale haha does look goodSmilie

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got back from Two weeks in Rome in January. The only thing I might suggest is to think very carefully about your shoes. The cobblestones were hell on my feet! And I wore my brooks running shoes. I walked anywhere from 5-10miles a day. My experience with Toms is they are super comfy but have zero cushion or support. Works for around town just fine. If you are going to be using public transit and wandering the tourist sights you might consider something with a bit more cushion. just something to think about.
    Rome is a wonderful city! You will have a blast.

U.K
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good tip😀

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm considering a similar packing list but don't own an S19, so not quite sure of it's actual packing capacity. Sounds like you already have an S19, is that right? Just wondering if you know whether all your gear will fit, particularly with the jeans in there. Interested to hear your packing experience.

U.K
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an s19 yes. I'm just waiting on a new one for my trip😀

The above does fit and gives me room for bit more as well. For example I reckon I could fit my mac in there as well but I don't plan on taking it for my trip.

When I got my s19 I got alot of accessories for it at same time but over the years I've noticed I don't need as many and this is mainly due to how well the bag is laid out for my needs.

I use my s19 every day and it looks mint condition since I've had it. I find the main compartment is great for bulky stuff and books etc. Side pockets are great for pens, multi tools, torches, sunglasses, phones and keys etc

Bottom pocket I keep a storage cube in that I keep all my electronics, cables etc you might be able to fit some small pumps in but I've never tried to be honest

Water bottle pocket I keep a hydro flask in

The small pocket I tend to use for buisness cards and my car keys when at work but I also put loose change in when going through security at airport.

I clip a small padded pouch in main compartment with headphones in.

I originally got the bag as a day bag for when I go on holiday and for day hikes. I had a bag similar in size to s25 but felt it was way to big for this. S19 has been great and it is surprising how much you can get in it. You just have to think about how you pack it. I don't carry alot for work so I can understand people that need more space and get a bigger bag

D

U.K
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think in regards to the jeans alot boils down to how you pack. I fold my clothes in a similar style to the konmari method. Check out the you tube videos on it. This saves me a huge amount of space and is really great for organising. I've started using it all the time now

U.K
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it interests you I can put together some pictures and show you exactly how I pack it

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info -- does sound like it can handle a lot. My hesitation is how much the pockets take away from the overall 19L capacity. Not heard of konmari, but I'll look it up. Pictures would be great -- good to see it on you as well!

U.K
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is everything I pack. Yellow pouch is clothes, red is toiletries, yellow pouch with clip is my jacket, small black padded pouch is my headphones, mesh packing cube is all my electronics.

U.K
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As you can see there is more than enough room to pack allot more. This pack is very light as well. Can't wait to try it out on my upcoming trip

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepherim View Post
    My hesitation is how much the pockets take away from the overall 19L capacity.
    Generally speaking....they don't. That's part of what makes TB bags so cool. The side pockets and bottom pocket don't intrude on the main compartment. If you fill it really full, the smallest top pocket can stick out a bit into the larger outside middle (water bottle) pocket, but I've never had a problem getting a water bottle in or out of it.
    Many people claim that the actual capacity seems to be more than 19L because of how amazing the synapase 19 is laid out.

I don't have any other bags this small to compare it to, but the S19 does hold an amazing amount of stuff. I managed to fit a whole gallon of milk (in the container) in mine this past weekend, with all the outside pockets full, and a few other items in the main compartment. The bag bulged out a little, but it fit, and it was still comfortable to wear.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent, thanks! That shot of the clothing pouch, and of it inside your bag are the money shots! Plus seeing it on you as well is very helpful!

U.K
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took these also. Sorry it took so long 😀

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast