1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S25 as personal item on Alaska?

I'm flying off with Alaska tomorrow. I've never flown domestically in the US before.
    In Europe I can always carry a decent-sized backpack (say a non-full S25) even on top of a wheeled carry-on.

Will Alaska allow me to do that, or do I need to find a much smaller laptop bag?

Thanks for any quick tips!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be fine with your S25.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Virtus junxit, mors non separabit.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ps. Enjoy your trip!

Virtus junxit, mors non separabit.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry a Western Flyer as a personal item on Alaska. I have never had a problem. They have one of the most liberal carry-on policies in the industry.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks That helps! We'll find out tomorrow but I worry less now.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use my S25 on Alaska all the time. No problems.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah there was no issue. It fits without problems underneath the seat.

It was weird though... Alaska CHARGES $25 to check-in baggages! Had never heard of that before. So people bring carry-ons. But the flight is full, so they make people check in their baggage for free. Seems quite counter-intuitive but eh...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pott View Post
    Yeah there was no issue. It fits without problems underneath the seat.

It was weird though... Alaska CHARGES $25 to check-in baggages! Had never heard of that before. So people bring carry-ons. But the flight is full, so they make people check in their baggage for free. Seems quite counter-intuitive but eh...
    Most US airlines do now. It's another way to make money. Though most of our airlines also let you carryon much larger bags than Europe. The Aeronaut 45, for example, was designed for US airlines. The Aeronaut 30 was designed for European ones.

I really miss the days before they charged for checked bags. You could get on and off the plane so much faster when most people only brought a purse and a laptop bag on. Now everyone feels compelled to bring maximum-size suitcases onto the plane and it's a disaster. Personally, I'm of the opinion that the FAA should intervene on force the airlines to stop charging for checked bags. The extra time at gates required to deal with too many carryons is causing disruptions of service.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reviving this thread about Alaska Airlines and using the s25 as a carry on... it looks like Alaska changed the dimensions of their carry ons recently. Has anyone had an issue with the new sizing requirements? I was planning to use the 25 bug maybe might have to downsize to the 19.... hmmmmmn.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never flown on Alaska, but based on their website, they now use the same 22x14x9 dimensions that all the major U.S. airlines use, These three majors (AA, DAL, UAL) also are the world's three biggest airlines, so most luggage is sized to fit the restriction and the experience of others therefore may be relevant for Alaska even if they haven't flown on Alaska recently. I have taken my S25 in addition to a 22x14x9 roller on many AA/DAL flights and no one ever has mentioned anything to me.

I would note that European mainline carriers generally have similar to more generous allowances, not less. BA allows 22x18x9, for instance. I live in NY and note that most European tourists have massive rollers.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
    I really miss the days before they charged for checked bags. You could get on and off the plane so much faster when most people only brought a purse and a laptop bag on. Now everyone feels compelled to bring maximum-size suitcases onto the plane and it's a disaster. Personally, I'm of the opinion that the FAA should intervene on force the airlines to stop charging for checked bags. The extra time at gates required to deal with too many carryons is causing disruptions of service.
    BINGO! I'm not for more regulation, but the FAA should take note of this.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently flew on Spirit. My personal item was a Smart Alec with UMP stuffed completely to the gills for a 9-day trip. I didn't encounter any issues.