Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Oxford, AL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Synapse 19 and US Capital Tour

Planning a day trip to D.C. with my 10yo daughter. We're flying in that morning and then back out the same night. Taking just a single backpack for jackets, souvenirs, etc.

In scheduling a tour of the Capital Building, I came across the list of prohibited items which excludes any bag larger than 18" wide x 14" high x 8.5" deep.

My Synapse 25 is too big. I've got an old 19 which should be fine, but a few travel sites say security frowns upon backpacks.

Sure don't want to create problems for us at the Capital Building, but really need a backpack for this adventure.

Anyone have first hand experience?

Thanks. Chad

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Security at the Capitol is intentionally fluid and the requirements frequently change - sometime hour to hour. I'd suggest two smaller bags that don't look like traditional backpacks - the packing cube backpack or similar that can be worn like a sling.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    Do you have a Packing Cube Backpack or a Daylight Backpack? Either of these will fold up nicely inside a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag or other over-the-shoulder bag. This would let you to carry a few things and still allow room for souvenirs on the return.

The Pilot, Co-Pilot, and Makers Bag are all under the size allowance and can be worn over the shoulder or cross-body. I tuck a Halcyon Packing Cube Backpack into the Pilot, then when a backpack is allowed, the Pilot goes into the PCBP. Good luck! elisa
    Last edited by AlaskaGirl; 03-26-2017 at 02:19 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Similar idea - I pack a Shop Bag in my backpack so if the pack is not allowed, I just put it in the SB and carry it over my shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings,
    Do you have a Packing Cube Backpack or a Daylight Backpack? Either of these will fold up nicely inside a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag or other over-the-shoulder bag. This would let you to carry a few things and still allow room for souvenirs on the return.

The Pilot, Co-Pilot, and Makers Bag are all under the size allowance and can be worn over the shoulder or cross-body. I tuck a Halcyon Packing Cube Backpack into the Pilot, then when a backpack is allowed, the Pilot goes into the PCBP. Good luck! elisa

Oxford, AL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to these comments I threw in a A30 PCBP to an order I've been pondering for a while. It arrived today! Thanks for the help and the recommendations. Chad
    Last edited by k4wcp; 04-05-2017 at 06:07 PM.