Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Thread: Norwegian Air

Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norwegian Air

Hello! I had posted about our Scotland trip in another thread, but also had an airline question. Anyone here ever fly Norwegian Air? How was it? I was hoping to bring my Aeronaut 45 and Swift as hand baggage and not have to check anything. The Swift might be a little large for that, but if I pack it lightly, maybe it will sneak through? Any experience getting both on board? I have had no problem getting the two onto domestic US flights (although I'll be trying Jet Blue for the first time in a few weeks; we'll see...)

Thanks!
    MrKnitster on ravelry
    Aeronaut 45s in Burnt Orange, Verde, Navy and Steel, all with Northern Sky interior, Maker's Bag in Navy/Wasabi, Swifts in Burnt Orange/Northern Sky, Olive/Linen, Medium Cafe Bag in Navy/Cayenne and tons of pouches, stuff sacks, straps, etc.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fly JetBlue all the time (from Boston), and they have very generous carry-on allowances. I always get a seat near the back of the plane if I take a large bag though, because they board from the rear, and that way I'm assured of overhead space. Now that they charge for checked bags, the overheads can fill up. But in my experience, they never do much towards enforcing what you take into the cabin as long as it will fit.

I think @ceepee recently flew Norwegian, and apparently they weighed the carryon when boarding in Boston. So you might have to watch the weight and have a plan B if your bags are over.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did fly Norwegian out of Boston and they weighed both my carry-on item and personal item. The combined weight allowance was 10kg I think.

Size didn't seem to be too rigorously enforced (there were no bag sizers at our check-in desk) but as the Mini Yeoman I was carrying was technically 11cm too long I was prepared to scrunch it up a bit, using the waist straps from our S19s if necessary But then again, even though I knew for sure that our bags were within the weight allowance, I still transferred a large bag of M&M's to my jacket pocket to be on the safe side ...... what can I say? I'm a worrier when it comes to flying

I would certainly fly Norwegian again. Although, my experience with other airlines is very limited since I've only flown Norwegian or EasyJet. Norwegian seems to be less of a scrum at boarding compared to EasyJet that's for sure.
    Last edited by ceepee; 03-28-2017 at 12:22 PM.

Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for the instant feedback!

@ceepee, what happens if you're over the 10kg limit? Do they check it, or are you simply not allowed to bring it on? (YIKES)
    MrKnitster on ravelry
    Aeronaut 45s in Burnt Orange, Verde, Navy and Steel, all with Northern Sky interior, Maker's Bag in Navy/Wasabi, Swifts in Burnt Orange/Northern Sky, Olive/Linen, Medium Cafe Bag in Navy/Cayenne and tons of pouches, stuff sacks, straps, etc.

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @MrKnitster I'm not sure if they would make you check it or if they would just charge you for the extra weight. I'm thinking it would probably be the former though as we got yellow 'Approved' labels stuck on all of our cabin items.

One member of the group in front of us was over their 10kg allowance at the check-in desk and I heard snippets of the conversation about it being so many $s per kg of weight. However, after they had tried every combination of bag they eventually managed to re-jig the contents enough so I didn't get to see if their bags went down the conveyer belt or if they just got a different label in return for some cash.

ETA: We flew from terminal E and we spotted (at least) a couple of luggage scales that you can use for free ..... shame the group in front of us weren't so eagle eyed
    Last edited by ceepee; 03-28-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really love Norweigan but they are stringent on carry on weight for international flights from the US. My wife and I fly a few times a year from either NYC or Baltimore (BWI) to Martinique or Guadaloupe to dive and escape the cold. We typically use a Aeronaut 45 each. We have a small handscale for single bagging so we arrive with ~10kg and have never had an issue. Size doesn't seem to be much of one either, I watched others getting on with large shopping bags or duffles.

At some point, they charge the check bag fee even for carry on. They charged out a couple in another line for having a 30 pound bag. It wasn't large, just a North Face backpack, but super heavy, I guess.

Inside Europe, I have never seen they weigh or size check anything but have only flown Norweigian 6 times on non-US flights.

Weight issues aside, bring your own food and water bottle and fill in the airport. Food and drink are expensive onboard tho quite good fare IMO. Comfy seats, nice employees and much better than Spirit or Ryan Air for a LCC.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We flew Norwegian from JFK to Denmark. My Aeronaut 30 was weighed combined with my tote bag. I was under weight limit. I believe my husband may have been a bit over the limit but they also allowed him to carry on. I would be conscious of the fact that they will be checking weight. Norwegian in all other respects was a great experience.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides Norwegian Air, look into Icelandair, Aer Lingus and WOW. They all offer flights from Boston to Scotland. And at good prices. Icelandair even offers free stopovers in Iceland. I think WOW air does as well.

I have flown form Glasgow to Iceland and it's a short pleasant flight.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, everyone! So great to have such relevant feedback. I love this community!
    MrKnitster on ravelry

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious to know if someone paid the combo fee (checked bag, meal, seat selection), and didn't actually have a checked bag, if that fee could be used to deal with a carry-on that's slightly over the limit. It sounds like they will let a slightly heavy bag on if you pay the fee?

I haven't flown Norwegian yet but am following the experiences of a few people who took them or will soon. Now that they have regular Boston routes I'll probably end up giving them a try.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke