Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Women's non-travel travel clothes

Just took a short trip with a couple of pairs of Spanx Undie-tectables. They're very comfy, very light, and dry quickly. If you aren't into "travel clothes" (women's travel clothes do not seem to come in styles like how I normally dress myself) these might appeal.

They're expensive compared to the rest of my underpants but I just have two which I will keep in light rotation and mostly save for when I will be traveling.

Any other items that you would recommend for travel, but aren't the Icebreaker/Travelsmith/Scottevest sorts of travel brands?

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend Rohan, now available in the US I believe (perhaps Online only).
    'Normal' looking clothing that is lightweight, packs small and doesn't need ironing.
    Also, all the labels give the pack size, weight and drying times so if they need to be washed overnight, then most will be dry for morning.
    They do the usual merino wool range as well, but they tend to do blended items, that seem to be a bit more hard wearing than 100%
    Merino.
    Jaffa
    S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

Atlanta, GA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uniqlo's HeatTech and Airism lines are good alternative to merino and don't look too sporty or bland/ill-fitting travel clothing. I wouldn't fill my entire wardrobe with these pieces, but it's nice to have some basic travel-friendly options at the ready.

Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

Forum Member
    davenport, ia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've really been liking the nau dresses i got for this past winter!

last fall, i picked up two elementerry l/s boatnecks (got one in black, one in purple; really nice, soft french terry knit), and a randygoat hoody dress in a dark gray/almost-black color (that one ran weirdly small in the hips and (my admittedly mule-like) thigh region, so i had to go up TWO sizes to find something that wouldn't hug my hips and behind too snugly; coziest ever, fleece inside with surprisingly nice-looking merino knit exterior).

they were all nice enough to be passable to wear at my office and the various trips i did during the cooler months. all were really forgiving with regard to wrinkles, the sleeves were plenty long (sometimes i have trouble finding that) and both styles had POCKETS (!!!) which is notable. they've all held up well after lots of wear, and i'm looking forward to getting some more mileage out of them again in a few months when it gets cold again!

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seconding Uniqlo, and adding that their merino wool cardigans are not expensive, but are great. I own at least six of them and I wear them daily, traveling or not.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wear the same thing traveling as I at home.
    The only thing that changes is that I usually opt for opaque leggings or tights instead bare legs.

My fave kind of underwear for everyday and for travel is some Hanes that are made of a sport mesh type of material. They dry super fast.

Washington, D.C.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also pack the same stuff as I wear at home...just less of it I sew and knit a lot of my own clothes out of high quality fabric and yarn. Shirts made out of double gauze cotton or liberty tana lawn wash and dry quickly, pack light and don't need ironing. I've found that linen pants and dresses can travel well too and if lines dried can pass without ironing. I love wool so my winter wardrobe is wool shirts, wool sweaters, wool tights and wool skirts or pants. I like ibex and icebreaker for base layers and pants/skirts. Janus makes wonderful wool tights. My go to shoe is a pair of all birds. They are wool and super comfy and cute. If I need a dressier shoe I like the Soft Star Shoes Ballerines.

Forum Member
    Deep South, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For underwear, I love sports panties for travel- especially Ex-Officio. They are very comfortable and are always dry by the next morning after hand washing. For pants, I tend to wear black hiking pants from REI. I love the pockets and the ability to dress them up or down. (I pick styles with low-profile pockets.) I have a hard time with tops in general and am looking for some good travel tops. In the meanwhile, I wear my everyday tops.
    S19, Pilot, S25, SE, NFTD, SCB, LCB, LS- in that order, all in Halcyon. Newest: Brain Bag. Oh, and some Shop Bags and Travel Cubelets. And some pouches. And a couple of Organizer Wallets. And a SSK. And some stuff sacks. And a laundry sack. But I'm not hooked on TB.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some athleta items are good weight for packing, chicos has a whole travel line, eileen fisher also has some lovely items. For unders I like patagonia
    Aeronaut 30 in Aubergine/Wasabi
    Ristretto in Olive/Cayenne
    Small cafe in Plum Cordura/Olive
    Western Flyer in Black/Island
    Synapse 19 in Burnt Orange/Northwest Sky
    Smart Alec in Black/Iberian
    Synapse 25 in Red Blend/Northwest Sky
    Small Cafe bag in Red Blend/Navy (EDCB)
    Accessories:travel tray , Travel Laundry Stuff Sack, 3D Organizer Cube, Set of A30 Aether Packing Cubes, Side Effect, and a Double Organizer Pouch I use as a wallet.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Nau, but I find the fit is not great if you are very curvy. Better for straighter figures. However, the items that work, pack really well.

I also like Ibex, as they have a lot of normal looking merino clothing. They still have work out stuff, but they have more "wear in real life" designs than Icebreaker has. Also, Ibex's skirt lengths are much longer than Icebreaker (which only seems to make miniskirts). Ibex skirts come to the knee, mid calf, or ankle.

I also love the British brand Boden. They have a USA website, so search on Boden USA. The sizing is American on that website. The fit and quality is superb. Whether a particular item is travel worthy, you have to decide for yourself. Their clothing is not designed with travel in mind, but some of it does work for travel. Their LADIES jackets have inside pockets, like men's jackets.

I also have several Macabi skirts. Ugly as hell, but very practical. Great pockets. And I've actually had people think the skirt was silk. It really depends what sort of blouse you wear with it, how the skirt is perceived.

I wear all these clothes in my normal life. I particularly seek out clothing that will be travel friendly, so I don't have to search for travel clothing at the last minute and feel like I'm not wearing my real clothes.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 04-18-2017 at 05:31 AM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LL Bean Comfort Trail pants... They wash in a sink as well as a washer and are made of material that dries in a tick. I like them precisely because they are something I would wear whether traveling or not. Though I wouldn't wear them with the trail pants, I'm also a fan of seersucker shirts on top--3/4 sleeves. I have short arms so 3/4 just means I don't have to roll sleeves! But they keep my arms covered, are cool, look crisp, and woohooooo, don't need to ever see an iron. Perfect for need-to-look-nice summer moments whether at home or traveling.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KmK View Post
    I have short arms so 3/4 just means I don't have to roll sleeves!
    LOL, I'm the opposite: even full-length sleeves on women's shirts sometimes look 3/4 length on me. If anyone has recommendations for brands with really long sleeves, I'm all ears!
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    LOL, I'm the opposite: even full-length sleeves on women's shirts sometimes look 3/4 length on me. If anyone has recommendations for brands with really long sleeves, I'm all ears!
    I also have long arms.
    Ibex and Boden have long sleeves on ladies tops.
    Ibex sleeves are ridiculously long and come down way over my wrists and hands.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smartwool!!! That's all I buy these days. Mostly socks since the other clothes get expensive unless I can find some on poshmark. Smartwool keeps you cool in hot weather and warm in cold. So worth every penny!!!