Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto (YYZ) to Tokyo (NRT) on Air Canada

Hello All,

My family of 4 will be taking a graduation trip to Japan from the Eastern US this summer, possibly connecting through Toronto. Looking at Air Canada (International Economy Class) for the long leg from YYZ to NRT.

Anyone have experience with this flight? On-time performance is not as much an issue as comfort. According to airline website, there is 32"-33" legroom. The site lists amenities as well. I was hoping some of you might have flown this and could offer an opinion...

As true TBers, we are--of course--going carry-on only!

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any responses. This is a first for us!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last month I flew Air Canada from Toronto to Haneda -- I don't recall the plane model, though I could probably look it up. I had no comfort issues (other than it being a long international flight!), but I'm only 4'11" and my partner is 5'9".

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't flown from YYZ to NRT, but I have done long haul flights (14-15 hours) from the east coast (EWR / JFK) to New Delhi (DEL), and I would rather not do it again. In the case of going to DEL, I much prefer a layover half way through the journey, somewhere in Europe, than near the start of the journey, in EWR or JFK.

The layover half way through, specially with enough time to go into the city, walk a bit, and get a real breakfast, makes the journey that much more enjoyable for me.
    -m

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't flown Air Canada so can't offer an opinion on how comfortable their flights are, however I see that they also go to Haneda as well as Narita. All other things being equal (price, convenient departure and arrival times), Haneda is a better choice due to its proximity to central Tokyo. It costs less to get to it, and it's quicker to get to.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, small aether packing cubes in wasabi and carbon, large travel tray in sitka

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flew JFK non-stop to Hong Kong 7 years ago (horrendously out of date with today's traveling) but I will say it was a pleasant experience. I flew Delta and was quite comfortable and the service was A+. Caveat being I am only 5 feet so it is rare when an airplane seat is not comfortable for me, only when I get stuck between to large dudes. Even then the conversation can make up for it, met an interesting man who worked oil rigs in Egypt. Although for 15 hours or more it would have trying I'm sure.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only fly air Canada to Japan via Vancouver but it also depends on the aircraft. I like the newer Dreamliner aircraft. I am 6'2" but I always pay extra for seat selection and aisle seat. To me if you are above 5'10" there is no leg room in any aircraft in economy seating. But there will be lots of room for carry on items as that's the way I travel. But it drives me crazy when folks try to carry full size luggage instead of the correct measurements.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone, for reading and graciously responding with your experiences. They have been helpful!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using Air Canada to Europe for many years, and have found that while Economy Class is tolerable, Premium Economy is so much more comfortable if one can afford the upgrade price. That's especially true if one is using their budget brand, Air Canada Rouge, where Premium Economy is essential regardless of the cost (IMHO).

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duster View Post
    Economy Class is tolerable
    It's funny how my head works sometimes. I first read that as "Economy Class is obsolete."

I have had trips where I have arrived well rested having flown in Economy Class in an 8 - 9 hour flight. And I have had trips where I just can't get comfortable.
    -m