Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    England
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question What bag for London Pride?

Rainbow

Hi all,

I'm off to spectate the wonder that is Pride in London; and as I've never been before, I'm seeking advice for bag to carry with me. My companions are going light, ie their wallets in their trousers, and nought else; they also tan very easily, whereas, I do not. So I need a bag for Vapur collapsible bottle, wallet, keys, sunblock, probably wipes, my Oakley sunglasses pod, portable wifi, phone, and solar charger. My Oakley pod is too large for the Sidekick. I want something easy to carry. I'll be using public transport. I don't drink, but my companions do. I'm expecting hot (for Britain, 75F) and cloudy (more reason for sunblock).

Options: S19, MCB, LCB, MB, mini Yeoman, those are the bags I have available to me.

I'm looking to wear trainers, denim short trousers with cargo pockets (ie they end just past the knee), T-shirt, hat, and probably some sort of jacket/cover up once the sun sets or just to get my skin out of the UV; I'll also have a large rainbow umbrella with me.

Thank you Smilie

What bag for London Pride?-preparation1-jpg
    Last edited by Kshni; 07-07-2017 at 01:03 PM. Reason: picture added
    I love my Burnt Orange Medium Cafe Bag, Black MCB, and Azure LCB.
    The Preciouses: A45 in black/zest, (original) Yeoman Duffel in verde, Mini Yeoman Duffel in Burnt Orange, the S19 in black/ultraviolet, and the MB in black/northwest sky; Shop Bags in zest, monarch, sitka, fjord, and island.

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy Pride!

I'd take my Co-Pilot because it's my favorite bag for around town, but I know that isn't one of the options you listed. Of the ones you listed, I'd take the MB if I were worried about pickpockets (I'd clip everything to o-rings and carry it slung in front of me), or the S19 if not worried about pickpockets (since as a backpack it has good weight distribution, but as a backpack it's behind me where I can't keep an eye on it).

If I had either of those sizes of Cafe Bag, maybe I'd recommend one of those over the Maker's Bag, I don't know.

Your umbrella sounds wonderful.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

England
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Smilie

I've added a picture to show what I'd like to take with me, in case that helps any.

The LCB has about the same amount of room as the MB, but vertical, rather than horizontal.

I also have the absolute shoulder strap for comfort options.

I confess, I'm tempted to use my mini-Yeoman, only because it's lockable, and would give me the space to sling in the jacket so I don't have to carry it.
    The Preciouses: A45 in black/zest, (original) Yeoman Duffel in verde, Mini Yeoman Duffel in Burnt Orange, the S19 in black/ultraviolet, and the MB in black/northwest sky; Shop Bags in zest, monarch, sitka, fjord, and island.

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would take the s19 and put the things you're worried about getting stolen at the bottom of the large section (possibly on a long keystrap if you have one).
    If you happen to have some velcro cable ties that you can put through the zipper pulls, that would add a bit of extra security. I think if you kept the outside pockets for the things that were less valuable that would probably provide enough protection.

I think it would depend on what you're worried about. If you're worried about a simple pickpocket, then making sure your most valuable items are buried would probably be enough. If you're worried about someone slashing your bag, I'd keep things out of the bottom pocket.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd never wear a backpack in crowds. I'd stick with a bag I can keep my hand on in front of me, and still put my valuables in internal pockets worn inside my clothing.

England
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So perhaps the mini-Yeoman would be ideal? It's lockable, and small enough I can swing it forward; the absolute shoulder strap makes it comfortable. It's not deep, but it has o-rings and I can tether things to those.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I'd never wear a backpack in crowds. I'd stick with a bag I can keep my hand on in front of me, and still put my valuables in internal pockets worn inside my clothing.
    OP I see you have sidekick. I'd consider wearing it "bum bag" style but in the front, put the "front" of the bag (with the zipper) up against your body so it's much harder to get into and won't be visible. I'd put the wallet and other really important items in there. Then put a few things that you'll want quick access to in the main compartment. Then take whatever bag you like the best Big Grin

The only time I've ever been pick-pocketed I was wearing a cross body bag. (Thankfully I realized what was happening before they grabbed my wallet.)
    My current daily carry bags now are all cross body, I save the backpack for when I have to carry a lot of stuff like groceries. I just rely on situational awareness and keyclips & o-rings and careful placement of sensitive items. I don't worry about making my bag theft proof, I just concentrate on making my wallet and keys highly theft resistant. I'd be annoyed if someone stole my water bottle or first aid kit but I'd be really upset if someone stole my wallet or keys (which are difficult and/or expensive to replace).
    Last edited by Kelly S; 07-07-2017 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Forgot something?

England
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's kinda what I'm aiming for: comfortable to carry, but also difficult for someone to lift something out of my bag, or if they slash it, they will have a difficulty getting anything useful. Though I'd prefer they didn't touch me or my bag at all.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try this:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you said your Oakley pod doesn't fit in the Side Kick but if that is the only thing that doesn't fit I would reconsider. The Side Kick is an excellent waist pack. Perhaps the Oakley pod might fit in your cargo pocket or you could just take the sunglasses without the pod? Or maybe pick up a soft glasses pouch while you're out? Sorry if that is heresy, I only buy cheap sunglasses.

Looks like you can probably leave that umbrella at home too! :-) ☀️☀️☀️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did it go? What worked well, and what would you do differently next time?

In general, for events like this I'd take Cristina's advice above. You want to be able to move and dance without lugging baggage or having to be too concerned about the security of your stuff.

* ID and cashcard in a zipped and/or internal pocket.
    * Enough cash to get you through the day somewhere more accessible.
    * How do you refill your Vapur during the day? Can you drink a lot when you refill, then carry it only half-full and have it fit into a small bag?
    * Apply really good sunblock really thoroughly before you go. Decant some of it into a small container that'll fit into a SE or SK for top-ups.
    * Keep a set of cheap, good-enough sunglasses that you won't be upset about if something happens to them.
    * In your SE or SK, maybe take a small fold-up bag for the just-in-case things. I use one made of recycled parachute that packs small and squishy.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband has Oakleys that are prescription. My prescription sunglasses are RayBans. Not everyone can have cheap sunglasses.

And Kshni, I'm dieting for a report on how much fun you had!

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brintoul View Post
    My husband has Oakleys that are prescription. My prescription sunglasses are RayBans. Not everyone can have cheap sunglasses.

Oh, I wasn't throwing shade (sunglasses pun!). Valuables need to be protected, but on this forum I think asking if a bulky accessory is truly necessary (or can be slimmed) is fair game.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We got those Transitions lenses that go from clear to shaded. The science of how it works has gotten much better over the years. I LOVE these lenses, and so does my husband (on his glasses).

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And you know I'm not on a diet until I get your report but autocorrect is.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast