Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Large Road Duffel Packing Tips

Having recently graduated college, I will be moving to Germany for 9 months in August to work at a boys boarding school. Usually I am a carry-on only/onebagger, but since I will be in mostly one place for most of this time I thought it might be more prudent to pack a larger bag. Honestly, nearly all of the clothes I own can fit in one bag at this point - a 62L Nike duffel I have owned for ages - so in a way I am bringing my entire wardrobe with.

After much waffling between multiple bags and packing strategies, I have decided on the Large Road Duffel alongside my Brain Bag and Maker's Bag. I anticipate checking the RD. What I am looking for are some tips for optimally packing the bag.

I am usually a "roll" packer, but I would like to pick up some packing cubes for this trip. Preferably I would like more smaller cubes than a couple large cubes, but any combination and advice would be welcome. Should I be looking the Yeoman cubes or the A45/A30 for the best fit? Or would some other combination maybe work best? Advice maybe to pare down my list and look at another bag?

If it makes a difference, I will mostly be bringing in the RD: t-shirts and polos, a pair of jeans, a couple pair of chinos, a blazer, a Patagonia Synchilla fleece shirt, a Patagonia nano hoody, a couple long sleeve button ups, a couple pair of shorts, underwear/socks, and then Bedrock sandals with a pair of boots. I'll wear a different pair of boots and jeans on the flight.

All advice is welcome!
    Steel/Solar A45/French Blue BB/Navy Snake Charmer/Coyote DLBC/ Iberian TT

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    It sounds like a great opportunity! You are going to have so much fun.

Closet and storage space is typically much smaller in Europe compared to what most Americans are accustomed to. I'd suggest you consider each article of clothing and decide if you will really need it for the time you will be in Europe.

While I don't have a Road Duffle yet, my experience with duffle bags is that packing cubes (of any size) will keep it organized. It is so frustrating digging around in a duffle searching for something and it wastes so much time. I'm much happier and less stressed when everything is neat and organized.

A few other things you might find helpful are a day bag or small backpack like the Daylight Backpack for weekend or overnight trips, a Travel Tray or two, and a couple Double Organizer Pouches for papers. There was another thread a couple months ago about moving overseas that had some more ideas. Good luck! elisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the medium sized road duffel, and since I have several Eagle Creek double sided cubes (I purchased these years before discovering TB), I generally use those to separate clothes. Pack-It? Clean Dirty Cube - Packing Cubes | Eagle Creek While they are marketing them as clean/dirty cubes, I use each side for a different type of clothing. They also easily fit in most types of drawers, so it is easy to organize at hotels, etc. I use TB aether packing cubes for my shoes, and generally stack those in one of the end compartments. And I put non-liquid toiletries, etc in a side effect.

The road duffels are awesome bags! I hope it works well for you. Congratulations on your great work opportunity!
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 07-16-2017 at 06:31 PM.
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." -Ferris Bueller

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have the Medium Road Duffle, and the Eagle Creek Specter packing cubes fit perfectly in it. I love the Clean/Dirty cubes, and the compression cubes.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a really wonderful opportunity.

I'm going to second AlaskaGirl's observation about limited wardrobe space as one reason to leave a few items behind if you can. Another reason is that if you're there for nearly a year, you will probably want to buy a few articles of clothing. I lived in Ireland for almost a full calendar year and even though I went with tons of clothes and stuff, I ended up getting different things there because my perceptions about fashion shifted a bit. (They shifted right back when I got home, too.)

Based on your list, you don't seem to me to have enough stuff to really need more than a couple of small cubes, unless your shoes are huge or something like that. You're also going to unpack your whole bag once you get to your school, so having everything organized isn't quite as vital as if you were traveling for days on end. My suggestion would be to think about the short trips you're likely to take during your free time and get a couple of cubes for that. The Specter cube would work well in your Brain Bag, perhaps along with an Aeronaut small cube for socks and jocks or t-shirts. I'd also recommend a stuff sack for your Nano Puff if you don't already have one; you'll get valuable compression inside your duffel and also whenever you bring it along on your travels. To sum up, to save money and space my vote is for fewer cubes that will be useful beyond getting yourself to/from Germany. Have a great time; I hope you'll share pictures with us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk