Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Northern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hachkc View Post
    TSA Pre is good when it's available. Some airports and airlines (not many) don't offer it and in some cases they shut it down. Why in the world would ORD Terminal 2 shutdown the TSA Pre line at 5/6P during the middle of the week? Only seems to happen when I'm running late. I just recently started using Clear; its nice when available as you can bypass even the TSA Pre line and skip past the TSA agent. It's somewhat expensive though you can get a discount with status on some airlines; very nice when the TSA Pre line at ORD is 60+ deep.
    We, too, have periodically run into a closed Precheck line. Apparently we've been told it's when they're short on staff. It would seem to me that pulling the Precheck people out who know what they're doing, would make the queue go faster, and need fewer staff to man the regular lines, but oh well.

Just soooo glad I have Global Entry/Precheck. Best $100 I've spent.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does this mean that one has to pull them out of protect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seesul View Post
    Does this mean that one has to pull them out of protective cases such as the cache?

South Pasadena Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seesul View Post
    Does this mean that one has to pull them out of protect

Sent email request via TSA website. Asked about tablet or laptop in cache that slides out of bag.
    We will see if I get an answer.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.Confused

South Pasadena Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Received answer from inquiry:
    Thank you for contacting the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Contact Center.

All full-size laptop computers must be removed from their carrying case unless the case is “checkpoint-friendly,” meaning the bag will allow for a clear, unobstructed view of the laptop on the x-ray image.

“Checkpoint-friendly” cases will have only a laptop in the laptop-only section—no cords or batteries—and will not have metal snaps, zippers, buckles, or pockets inside, underneath, or on top of the laptop-only section. Examples of “checkpoint-friendly” cases include the following:

• New laptops in the original, manufacturer’s packaging
    • Laptop sleeves – with only the laptop inside
    • Cases with a laptop-only section that can lie flat on the x-ray belt

We cannot guarantee that a laptop will never have to come out of the case or manufacturer’s packaging for screening. TSA does not approve or endorse any laptop bag design or manufacturer.

We do not limit the number of laptops that you may travel with in your carry-on bags. Most airlines have a limit of two carry-on items per person; please check with your airline for any additional regulations.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.Confused

South Carolina, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Just soooo glad I have Global Entry/Precheck. Best $100 I've spent.
    I'm planning to sign up for Global Entry/Precheck once I change my name in January! (I got married this past October)
    Aeronaut 45 & Night Flight TD - Aubergine / Wasabi
    Small Cafe Bag - Burnt Orange

Minneapolis
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree about spending the money for GE/PC! It hasn't mattered at MSP the last couple of times I flew, though: they had dogs checking the line, so every passenger got the Precheck experience (no shoes off, no liquids out, etc.). I wonder how much more common this will get, and if the new electronics rules will be affected by dogs, too.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.” ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, since this thread was bumped - travelled out of EWR on 11/30, didn't need to take out tablets, only laptops - I had 2 in a PCBP inside the A30, ready to be separated if necessary.

My A30 still got pulled aside for extra screening because of the water wipes I had in one of the end pockets, so *shrug*

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the "take all electronics larger than a phone out of your bags" rule is still being rolled out in the U.S. So that's why you may not have experienced it.
    Global Entry/Precheck is really worth it if you fly a lot. For this and other reasons.

Though when I recently flew home from Montreal, everyone had to remove all their electronics, and there was of course no special lane for those with precheck, since we were in Canada. And even though I grudgingly took out my Kindle (the only electronic I had besides my phone), my bag was pulled aside anyway! However, the Canadian security people were so polite and efficient, unlike the TSA, that it was difficult to get too annoyed by it.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Digital Nomad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I experienced the rule in a domestic flight within Mexico. So I guess it's going to be a thing everywhere soon.

Since I didn't see it coming and hadn't packed for it, it was a massive hassle. Besides tablets and ereaders, they also wanted my USB charger, camera+batteries, bluetooth speaker, LTE hotspot, and everything else that seemingly had a circuit board. Probably what matters is the battery, but it's easier to just say "all electronics."

So, yeah... Ugh. Frustrating. No amount of careful packing is going to make this not a hassle.

Southern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In China last month they made us pull out all electronics larger than a cellphone, all batteries (including the one I use to charge my cellphone on the go) and any umbrellas. I found the umbrella part particularly curious.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the way back, at FRA, I had to separate the tablets, but didn't have to remove my shoes.

My Swift got pulled aside for water in my water bottle (totally forgot there was anything in it. Rookie mistake!), and they waved me away as soon as they saw I was traveling with a kid.

The same package of water wipes that sidelined me at EWR didn't alarm German security.

They also had me stand in the scanner thing while they held my 3.5 year old and discreetly patted her down. TSA has us walk through the metal detector and then we get a serious patdown and/or hand explosives test.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRD View Post
    In China last month they made us pull out all electronics larger than a cellphone, all batteries (including the one I use to charge my cellphone on the go) and any umbrellas. I found the umbrella part particularly curious.
    Blades in umbrellas aren't uncommon. Leaving them in the bags could cause a false positive and increases the likelihood of a bag check - delaying the process.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Southern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    Blades in umbrellas aren't uncommon. Leaving them in the bags could cause a false positive and increases the likelihood of a bag check - delaying the process.
    I get that except the kicker was we were absolutely not allowed to put them in checked luggage. I heard there was a bombing a couple years ago it makes me wonder if an umbrella was involved in the same way we have to take off shoes in the US.

San Jose, CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flying from Toronto to SFO they made me take my iPad out of my bag and out of the Speck hard back flip cover thing which was really difficult. I thought it was going to break off. I only managed to get one corner off so the TSA guy put the swabbing wand down the back inside. Then they went through my bags. Then after my bags came out of the X-ray they wanted to open them again! I asked why, and they said it’s becase they liked my smile and wanted me to hang around longer. I gave them a “look” and they said ok we trust you, and gave me back my bags without opening them a second time. Next time instead of looking nice, I’m going to dress in sweats and put my hair up under a beanie.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast