Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 days in LA with a Pilot.

Soooo, I'm traveling to LA tomorrow for a 3 day meeting.

Which bag to take? My A30 or my WF?

NEITHER! By the time I was done figuring out what I was taking, it all fit in my Pilot, including my purse (SE).

Packing List:

Front left pocket: SE with Double Organizer Pouch as a wallet, a fan, my phone, a pen, some Kleenex.
    Front right pocket: Toothbrush in a pen slot, Clear 3-D cube with toiletries, and a pack of Cetaphil face wipes.
    Center water bottle pocket: Phone charger in a tiny Eagle Creek Specter cube, and snacks in little plastic zip-lock bags inside a 1/4 Eagle Creek Specter cube.
    Back section: One skirt, 2 T-shirts, 3 panties, one sleep T in an Eagle Creek Specter full sized cube. A shawl.
    Back pocket: My itinerary.

I picked it up by its Absolute Shoulder Strap and it feels like it weighs nothing.

It looks like I'm carrying nothing.

I can still fit in more stuff if I need to.

P.S. Since I cut my hair off short, I don't bring a comb or brush or hairdryer or curling iron or flat iron or shampoo or conditioner. So freeing. That stuff took up sooo much space in my suitcase. The hotel will have stuff that will do in a pinch.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 07-27-2017 at 09:14 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    Wonderful packing job! What are the dimensions on the Spectre cube your phone charger is in? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see photos of your entire packing set up. I'm going to have to test pack my Pilot soon. Thanks for sharing! elisa

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaGirl View Post
    Greetings,
    Wonderful packing job! What are the dimensions on the Spectre cube your phone charger is in? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see photos of your entire packing set up. I'm going to have to test pack my Pilot soon. Thanks for sharing! elisa
    @AlaskaGirl,

This is not @BWeaves, but my guess is that this cube might be the Packet Specter Mini Cube Set from Eagle Creek

Dimensions: 4.0 x 3.0 x 1.75 in / 10 x 7.5 x 4.5 cm 0.3 liters

for comparison, the Specter II Quarter Cube dimensions: 4.25 x 7.5 x 2.25 in / 11 x 19 x 5.5 cm 1.2 liters

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Moriond! I really like the Specter half cubes, especially in the compression version, so I will definitely check these out. elisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice packing list. I have a Pilot but the moment I put water in it, it becomes too heavy for a shoulder bag and I go back to using a backpack. How are you handling water? Good luck with your trip.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an amazing feeling isn't it, travelling with just the Pilot. I'm leveraging the train to get to my current client, and often find myself shaking my head at the huge pieces of luggage I see the majority of travelers lugging around (hmm luggage=lugging? ) while I zip past them all sporting my whole week's worth in just my Pilot.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, my charger is in the Pack-It Specter™ Mini Cube Set. They're tiny, tiny cubes. Great for jewelry, too. I also put my earrings in the zipper compartment in the lid.

I don't carry water. Water is heavy. And I see no point to carrying it. I can't take a water bottle through TSA check, and I will get a water bottle on the plane. There are water fountains everywhere in the airport if I need a quick drink.

I just got back from my trip. They man sitting next to me asked if he could help me get my bag down from the overhead, and I patted my Pilot and said, "No thank you. I have everything right here." He said, "Oh, you checked your bag." And I said, "No, this is all my luggage." Then he asked me what I did for a living, and I said, "Computer engineer." You should have seen his face. This was a man who lugged a carry on and big heavy backpack on board, and worked on his computer the entire flight. Meanwhile, I slept or looked out the window and arrived completely unstressed and carrying a light load.

P.S. I even had room for all the stuff I brought home from the conference.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 08-01-2017 at 08:30 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @BWeaves,

Just curious, is your Pilot Halcyon or ballistic? If Halcyon, do you think all that would fit in ballistic? The Pilot is one of the few TB bags I have not tried, and ballistic would be my choice of material.

I love reading forum members' minimalist packing stories, they are so motivating! My largest TB bag is an A30 and my next largest is the Luminary. Then it goes down to the SE, so a ballistic Pilot could possibly fit into my luggage family, or the stowaway, which I just ordered to test pack. Darn, I should have ordered a Pilot to try next to it!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ballistic! I like the structure the ballistic gives. If I have anything weirdly shaped in a ballistic bag, you cannot tell. Whereas, the halcyon droops and shows every lumpy bumpy item in your bag.

Plus, if I'm shoving the Pilot under every airplane seat, I want ballistic nylon for strength, so I don't have to baby the bag. I've had my halcyon shop bags get white scuff marks on them by barely having them brush up against a concrete stair. I feel like have to be so careful with the halcyon fabric, while the ballistic I can sling around and not worry about it.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 days in LA with a Pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Packing List:

Front left pocket: SE with Double Organizer Pouch as a wallet, a fan, my phone, a pen, some Kleenex.
    Front right pocket: Toothbrush in a pen slot, Clear 3-D cube with toiletries, and a pack of Cetaphil face wipes.
    Center water bottle pocket: Phone charger in a tiny Eagle Creek Specter cube, and snacks in little plastic zip-lock bags inside a 1/4 Eagle Creek Specter cube.
    Back section: One skirt, 2 T-shirts, 3 panties, one sleep T in an Eagle Creek Specter full sized cube. A shawl.
    Back pocket: My itinerary.
    Pictures plz!!! I love packing pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    fredletsTravels.com

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, it was too quick to pack and unpack! I made the list because I thought this particular packing job would be easy to visualize.