1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TB Travel Bar

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TB Travel Bar

I am going on a trip to Hawaii and one of my favorite things to do is to make cocktails on the plane. It's fun, creative and makes the time go by faster. All you need to make some great cocktails is a little bottle of liquor and maybe a mixer from the flight attendant.

My travel bar:

1 Tom Bihn 3D Organizer Cube Clear (Iberian)
    1 Tom Bihn small Halcyon Organizer Pouch (Iberian)

2 small spoons
    2 metal straws
    1 multi-measurement tablespoon
    1 flexible 2 oz. measuring cup

2 oz. demerara syrup
    2 oz. honey syrup
    2 oz. orgeat
    2 oz. lime juice
    8 packets ReaLemon
    2 packets Tobasco
    4 packets Sugar in the Raw
    1 packet honey

1 dropper bottle Angostura bitters
    1 dropper bottle Corazon bitters

The 3DOC is perfect because it is TSA friendly and it fits right in the pocket of my Co-Pilot. The hook in the 3DOC allows you to hang the cube on the seat in front of you. Depending on the airline, there are a number of cocktails you can make on the plane. I wrote an article on Medium, Mile High Bartending, for some cocktail ideas. Sometimes the best cocktail is just bourbon, sugar and bitters.
    TB Travel Bar-fullsizerender-copy-2-jpgTB Travel Bar-fullsizerender-2-copy-2-jpgTB Travel Bar-tb-travel-bar-jpg
    MB-Steel/Iberian, SK-Steel/Iberian, DLBC-Grey/Steel, MCB-Orange 152/Navy, SCB-Azure/Navy

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can sit next to me anytime!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And to think all I'd ever considered taking was a small bottle of gin or vodka.....

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant! I don't think I could give up my shampoo and conditioner in exchange for a full bar, but even carrying a subset of those would be fun. I'm curious to find out what containers you use, and if it is important to pick a plastic that is food-safe and does not react with the ingredients?
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While this is a great idea, on my last flight on Delta for the solar eclipse, the flight attendants announced that you could NOT drink your own liquor on the plane. You had to buy your alcoholic drinks from Delta only.

So before you decide to bring your travel bar, check with the airline.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @BWeaves, did you read the original post and the Medium article? My impression is that you don't carry your own alcohol; you buy it from the airline and use the ingredients you packed to create the cocktail from it.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    @BWeaves, did you read the original post and the Medium article? My impression is that you don't carry your own alcohol; you buy it from the airline and use the ingredients you packed to create the cocktail from it.
    Okay, now I see... When I first read "All you need to make some great cocktails is a little bottle of liquor and maybe a mixer from the flight attendant," I understood "from the flight attendant" to only refer to "maybe a mixer." I see now that it can also include the liquor.

And that makes a lot more sense. It did seem strange that there wasn't any alcohol listed in the ingredients.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Yes, I read it. The Delta flight attendants on my flight were very adamant about not mixing your own drinks, too. I'd NEVER heard that announced before on a flight, EVER. I thought it was weird. It wouldn't even occur to me to bring my own drinks or mixers on board. Delta wants you to buy everything from them.

I'm just saying, if you're going to do the travel mini bar, make sure you're not wasting your time, and travel space, before you board.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TB Travel Bar

Yes, it's a rule but in my experience flight attendants only make that announcement when some bozo on the flight decides to dip into his/her personal duty free stash of full size liquor bottles.
    Last edited by TRD; 09-03-2017 at 10:45 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You never know how strict they're going to be. It varies from one flight attendant to another as to what you can do anymore.

Anyway, it is a cool idea.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't bring my own liquor on the plane and I buy the tiny bottles they serve. Technically the bitters contain alcohol but no one has said anything about those. Most of the time I just bring juice/syrup/mixers without alcohol to make the drink on the plane. I've also brought a small bottle of vermouth. Most of the flight attendants think it's cool and don't have a problem with it.

The tiny bottles I got from Plated, which is a meal prep service that sends you ingredients. I have some dropper bottles that are glass from the container store. I probably would get something food safe just in case the acid reacts with the plastic.
    MB-Steel/Iberian, SK-Steel/Iberian, DLBC-Grey/Steel, MCB-Orange 152/Navy, SCB-Azure/Navy

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This would never happen today, but back when my husband was in college (decades ago, cough, cough) he got on a plane to fly home for a holiday. There were only 6 men on the plane. It was a big plane. There were 6 stewardesses. They huddled in the kitchen and whispered. Then they whipped back the curtain. Each stewardess had a bottle of Champagne in her hand and two glasses. They announced that they were going to have a party and each stewardess sat down with one customer. Hubby said you never saw such happy flyers get off that plane.

These days they would have cancelled the flight.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, TB team, for sharing my photos on Facebook. A friend of mine just commented to me about how many negative comments were on that post. It was pretty funny.

I wrote a new detailed article if anyone is interested in reading:

https://medium.com/this-charming-ran...r-21844600bf84

Thanks for the support!

Ryan

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved your detailed article, Ryan.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @icarusrex This is the best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast