Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ryanair, new carry on restrictions

Ryanair cuts cabin baggage allowance to ease delays
    Ryanair cuts cabin baggage allowance to ease delays - BBC News

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems fair enough. they still allow 1x 10kg cabin bag, which is more than most.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, the BBC news site didn't explain it well. Starting November 1, all passengers can bring on board a bag no larger than 35 x 20 x 20 cm, (13.7" x 7.87" x 7.87"). If you want to bring on a larger bag--they are callling it a "wheelie bag" so most people understand what they mean--they will have to pay extra. This will include all bags up to 55 x 40 x 20 cm (21.8" x 15.7" x 7.87") Larger than that and it will have to be checked.

The big news is that the are increasing the weight of allowed checked bags and the checked bag fee..

Here's the press release that will explain it:
    Ryanair To Lower Checked Bag Fees (& Raise Size Allowance)To Eliminate Boarding Delays – Non-Priority Customers Must Put 2nd (Bigger) Bag In Hold (Free Of Charge) From November | Ryanair's Corporate Website
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Atlanta, GA USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this means even the Maker's bag would be a little too big...
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color EEK! 好的朋友

Orange County, CA, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a Priority ticket you still can take two bags. At a cost of €£5 for a priority ticket it seems worth the upgrade fee.
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow we just flew Raynair and where so happy that we where able to bring a carry on and a personal item. This is sad news.

Now easyjet has the better bag allowance by far. Not sure that was a smart move unless all other budged airlines will follow their lead.

Ilkyway

ETA: overlooked your post nimikor. I totally agree. So I will go for that option next time. Smilie
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Ilkyway, I've never flown Ryanair. But it seems like next time you travel, you should just look at the Ryanair fare and add 10 euros per return ticket for priority boarding, which lets you bring the two bags on. If that new price is still cheaper then competing flights, it's a good deal. Though I wonder what will happen if everyone starts choosing priority boarding. Smilie Then they'll need the 20 euro "you're really special" priority boarding fare.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Sweden
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Random thoughts on this topic:

Lately I have found that once I've paid all the extra fees for me and my dh on easy jet / ryanair etc we are very very close to the "regular" airline prices (especially if we're gone over a weekend).

However - if we could travel with minimum luggage it would be different. This is my dh fault (I do enjoy proper blame assignment) - I am a strict TB minimalist packer. He is not. Actually I'm working myself up to justifying a new TB shopping spree for his birthday as I (in my bag-oriented fantasies) belive that if dh only had the proper bag he would not bring his giant suitcases and it would save us money in airline fees in the long run.... Wink

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm working on making my husband a minimalist packer. It helps that I do all the packing. He's starting to come around, since we no longer have to lift heavy bags. After two hernia operations, carrying on a lightweight bag is becoming appealing to him. While we both miss the rolling bags, the TB ones hold more and weigh less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ryanair has said many customers will no longer be able to take two pieces of luggage into the cabin. The budget airline said passengers without priority boarding would have to put their second bag in the hold free of charge at the gate. For bigger bags Ryanair is cutting fees from £35 to £25 to encourage customers to check in more luggage.
    Ryanair Customer Service

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, BUT... this is exactly what it says on RyanAir's website:

What you CAN bring on board

If you have purchased "Priority & 2 cabin bags" or a Plus/Flexi ticket you can carry the following on-board:

One small bag e.g. handbag, laptop bag etc. not exceeding 35cm x 20cm x 20cm
    One cabin bag, not exceeding 55cm x 40cm x 20cm in size and 10kg in weight.

If you have not purchased "Priority & 2 cabin bags" or a Plus/Flexi ticket you can carry the following on-board:

1 small bag on board (35cm x 20cm x 20cm)
    If a second cabin bag (55cm x 40cm x 20cm) is brought to the gate, it will be put in the aircraft hold free of charge. The Regulations on Cabin Baggage apply.
    So to me, this means you can still bring 1 small bag on board for free, and even WITHOUT the upgraded "Priority & 2 cabin bags" option OR the "Plus/Flexi" ticket, you can bring your TB bag, but they'll check it for you for free at the gate (assuming you didn't overpack and it fits their size/weight limitations).

Can someone correct me if I am misinterpreting this?

Northern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gixx0r View Post
    So to me, this means you can still bring 1 small bag on board for free, and even WITHOUT the upgraded "Priority & 2 cabin bags" option OR the "Plus/Flexi" ticket, you can bring your TB bag, but they'll check it for you for free at the gate (assuming you didn't overpack and it fits their size/weight limitations).

Can someone correct me if I am misinterpreting this?
    That's how I'm reading it.

The issue for me, is like what Frank II said:

"all passengers can bring on board a bag no larger than 35 x 20 x 20 cm, (13.7" x 7.87" x 7.87")"

Those are really odd dimensions... I'm thinking that's like a tubular duffle bag shape. And technically, a Pilot is too big (in two of the dimensions) to meet this size.

Now, I haven't checked any luggage in in over 20 years, and I can travel in as little as 6 kilos in my carryon, but THIS particular sizing is almost impossible to do as just my only bag.

I fly on Southwest regularly but there are some budget airlines (including Ryanair in Europe) that I would probably avoid... and this is another good reason.

The small bump-up fee to get a priority boarding pass is a nice way around it, but then if it's that you wind up paying about the same as other airlines, then why fly these guys?

Do they charge you to use the restroom yet?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ryanair makes a fortune from the extras. Why people take them is psychological in reasoning.

Ryanair offers very low fares. Let's say they offer a fare of 25 GBP. That's just for a seat. If you want more, you pay--bags, assigned seating, etc. It adds up. Let's say after the extras, the passenger is paying 100 GBP. For many, if you ask them how much they paid for their ticket, they'll still say 25 GBP.

Sometimes there is no choice. In a couple of weeks I'm taking Norwegian Airlines and Flybe on flights in Europe. They are the only airlines to offer nonstop flights on the routes I want to take. I won't be able to make their carry on bag rules so mine will have to be checked for the short flights. While I prefer to actually take the bags with me, I'm not going to take connections or skip places I want to visit just so I don't have to check a bag.

Forum Member
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A laptop bag? Interesting... I feel like there are very few laptops, let alone laptop bags, that are less than 8 inches in width.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ryanair, new carry on restrictions

Those are really odd dimensions... I'm thinking that's like a tubular duffle bag shape. And technically, a Pilot is too big (in two of the dimensions) to meet this size.

Now, I haven't checked any luggage in in over 20 years, and I can travel in as little as 6 kilos in my carryon, but THIS particular sizing is almost impossible to do as just my only bag.
    It’s a somewhat odd config but actually doable. Especially if you don’t have a bag that is over engineered: http://fredletstravels.com/2018/05/0...y-ryanair-bag/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fredlet; 06-05-2018 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Fixed formatting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast