Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kikkerland Universal Travel Adapter

I just bought this Kikkerland Universal Travel Adapter. I've seen it recommended here and on other sites, and it looked so clever. After receiving it I'm not convinced it will work in the UK. Has anyone tried it? I am debating if it deserves space in my travel bag for tomorrow's trip to Scotland. (I already have a dedicated "type G" adapter.)
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it does work in that it will allow you to plug a US device into a UK socket. However, from my (brief) experience with it, Id say its pretty flimsy and may not work well with heavier adaptors. Im a bit of a wuss when it comes to electricity though and Id prefer something a bit more robust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you know how to convert it to a 3 pronged UK plug, it will work. If you only use two prongs, it won't. That third piece--plastic--is a grounding plug. As long as what you are plugging in doesn't need to be grounded, you will be okay.....theoretically.

If you are not sure how to set it up, there is a video in the review section on Amazon.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh, ok. I think I might be better off packing my dedicated UK adapter, which is grounded. I highly value my electronics!

I may bring it anyway just to test it out.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 09-15-2017 at 06:06 AM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your electronics have a two prong U.S. plug then grounding isn't necessary. (Most small electronics.) If is is larger or an appliance, then it will need the three prongs.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Aisle seat
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one and it works just fine. There is a video review on Amazon by "Pazu Kong" that shows you how to convert it to UK outlets.
    Today is a good day for a good day!

Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used it in London this year and it worked fine. I lost the instruction card though and had to look up how to set it up for the UK. Youtube showed me!

Forum Member
    Southeastern NC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! I just learned something! I have one of these and was in London a few months ago. For the life of me I could not figure out how to make it work with the UK plug and had to borrow an adapter from the hotel I was in. I did not think to check out either the Amazon listing or youtube. The adapter has worked without problem everywhere else I have used it over the past few years. While it does seem to be flimsy, I have never had problems with it. Thanks folks!!