Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Favorite pointers for Lisbon and Porto?

Hi all - DH and DB (dear baby - 8 months old) and I will be spending 4 nights each in Lisbon and Porto in mid October. I'm combing through the usual online sources for tips, but wanted to ask this well-traveled group for any hidden (or not so hidden) gems or items on your must-see-eat-do lists.

Packing light will be a challenge with the baby but we'll try. We'll have an A30 for my clothes and some of the baby's, S25 for diaper and day bag, PCSB and SE (with a couple of double carabiners) for my in-flight items, and a checked large Yeoman Duffle for overflow (baby) items. Bringing a car seat for the plane ride and probably a lightweight stroller and a wearable carrier. Will also have a few folded up DLBPs and LSBs for ad hoc rearranging.

Thanks in advance!

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some fun food things in Lisbon:

Cafe Martinho da Arcada for coffee/breakfast. Stand at the counter of the oldest cafe in Lisbon (founded in 1778), order a coffee and queijada, and let the morning bustle wash over you. http://www.martinhodaarcada

Try some Ginjinha (sour cherry liqueur) at one of the taverns that specialize in it, like Ginjinha Sem Rival (7 Rua Portas de Santo Antao). This shop was the first to sell it, and the family who owns it has produced it for about 150 years. You wait in line for your turn and when it comes you will be asked ‘with or without’; you decide if you want cherries or not. (They can be strong, since they absorb a lot of alcohol.)

Eat a Pastel de Nata (or, preferably, several) at Antiga Confeitaria de Belém.

Have a great time!!
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 09-28-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback @bb93fo57!

Forum Member
    The Texas Panhandle
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was particularly interested in the response - I am also going to visit Portugal and Spain (in the summer).
    S19 & S19/Island; S25/Island, S25/NW Sky; GE S25 & GE S25/Coyote; S30/Coyote; BB/Canyon; SA/Island, SA/U.V., SA/Wasabi, SA & SA/Steel; A30/Zest; A45/Island, A45/Steel; MCB/Wasabi, MCB & MCB/Canyon.

Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some non-food-related things to do in Lisbon:

Wander through the narrow cobblestone streets of the Alfama. Ditch the map, let yourself get lost.

If you are there on a Tuesday or a Saturday, check out the Feira de Ladra, a sprawling street market / flea market in the Alfama.

Hop on Tram #28 for a scenic overview of the city. The historic trams are great, but #28 in particular can get super crowded, so be on the alert for pickpockets. (They are adept at creating distractions -- and work quickly -- as the tram lurches over the hilly parts of town and people jostle against one another.)

Since you said you have only a couple of days in Lisbon, I hesitate to mention a day trip, as there is so much to do in the city… but a visit to nearby Sintra can be fun. The entire city (about 20 miles outside Lisbon) is designated as a UNESCO World Heritage site.
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 09-30-2017 at 05:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got back yesterday from our trip and had a great time! We saw a lot less than we might normally on a vacation with just the two of us, but that was a trade off we had planned on and didn't make the trip any less enjoyable.

A few random notes, intermixing Lisbon and Porto.

We did take the #28 tram and it was a fun and cheap ride. We started at the terminus and were able to get seats so that was helpful.

We had a wonderful blowout lunch and reserve tasting at Graham's Port Wine Lodge. Went back a couple days later for a tasting at Calem. Walking along the Douro was very lovely.

We had a great lunch at Cervejaria Ramiro - touristy but very fresh seafood even for these Bostonians. I enjoyed the barnacles; DH a bit less so.

We had a couple meals at a small plates place by our hotel in Porto - Taberna do Largo, which was excellent. They even packed up a takeout order our last night so that we could have a picnic in our room while the baby was sleeping.

Packing wise the large Yeoman was great for corralling all our misc stuff, and my collection of S25, DLBP, PCSB, SE, LSB, DLBC worked very well with my husband's roller board and our travel crib, car seat and stroller. Alas forgot to take a pic!