Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aeronaut 30 - packing list for 26 days in Europe for work and play in August

Here is a packing list of what I brought to Europe last August. It started with 1 week of work in Portugal followed by almost 3 weeks with my family that met my up North for sight-seeing (Czech republic, Germany, Poland, Slovakia). I am a woman and 5'7 so my clothes are average size (i.e. if you are 6'2" my packing list may not fit in a Aeronaut 30)

I am submitting this for comments and to give ideas to others, since reading the forum has helped me tremendously to think about packing in the past year and a half since I got my Aeronaut 30.

1-I first went to a professional meeting in Portugal. I was giving an oral presentation as an invited speaker and there was a banquet on the last evening, so I had to bring something "nice", although scientific conferences are more relax than other professional meetings (as you will see below, I wore sneakers in all occasions...).
    2-The rest of the trip was walking all day for sightseeing or travelling by train between countries and then by car within Slovakia. It was very warm in Portugal and Prague, more in the mid-20s C in Dresden, Berlin, Poznan, Warsaw, Krakow and the Slovakia countryside and Bratislava. We had a flat in Berlin and in Warsaw,which made it possible to do laundry

Aeronaut 30 - packing list for 26 days in Europe for work and play in August-aeronaut30_purse-copie-jpg
    My Aeronaut 30 and my Travelon purse

Aeronaut 30 - packing list for 26 days in Europe for work and play in August-all_clothing-copie-jpg
    This is all the clothes I brought, including what I was wearing on the plane

Wearing on the plane:
    White tank top (J.Crew, wrinkled a lot)
    Black Dressy sweatpants from Encircled (take forever to dry but so soft and dressy enough for the meeting)
    Black Cotton knit from GAP (ended up buying a Black Merino wool lightweight sweater from Uniqlo in Berlin after finding holes in my old sweater)
    Black Chrysalis Cardi form Encircled used as a scarf (it can be used as a cardigan and a dress. I did not do the dress as I forgot the belt that goes with it and had to find something lese ot wear for the banquet. I love it as a scarf or Cardigan)
    My Adidas Superstar white sneakers (my only pair of shoes, even at the banquet, yes I survived)

Aeronaut 30 - packing list for 26 days in Europe for work and play in August-packing_cubes-copie-jpg
    Packed in Aether packing cubes
    White t-shirt (linen blend)
    Black Evolve top by encircled (boy I sound like an advert for that company now! Can be worn about 6 ways, does not wrinkle, goes several wears before washing, made of bamboo, made in Canada, etc...)
    Grey Icebreaker merino blend t-shirt
    White and blue striped 3/4 sleeve t-shirt
    Dark green ankle pants made of Tencel (my favourite, dry quickly, look good all the time, not too warm)
    Striped skirt (Lole, knee length)
    Second colourful scarf
    Pyjama set
    A Expo baseball cap

As you can imagine, my packing cubes were not full. I ended up using the second aether half cube as a dirty laundry bag. In total, my bag was filled to about 20 L ( I tried it in a Lipault business roller I have that is labelled as 20 L and everything fit in it). The whole set up was 4.8 kg (10.5 lbs), which is heavy for me but would be considered light by others.

Aeronaut 30 - packing list for 26 days in Europe for work and play in August-left_pocket_random-copie-jpg
    Packed in left pocket of Aeronaut (I did not use my beloved Halcyon end pocket cubes, I always do if I have a second pair of shoes).
    A travel size umbrella
    a spoon and some gluten-free cookies and energy bars ( eating gluten-free was super easy, this is mostly because my dedicated meal is often missing on the plane and going withotu food for 7 hours is unpleasant)
    A folding grocery bag (used almost every day)
    Sunglasses
    Plug converter (Canada towards Europe)

Aeronaut 30 - packing list for 26 days in Europe for work and play in August-toiletry_muji-copie-jpg
    Packed in right pocket
    Muji toiletry kit
    Muji 3-1-1 clear bag
    Muji cotton bag with prescription medicine and small emergency it

Aeronaut 30 - packing list for 26 days in Europe for work and play in August-purse_content-copie-jpg
    In my Travelon purse I put under the seat
    A Vapur folding bottle
    Bose in-ear earphones
    reading glasses
    Epipen
    Passport and wallet
    Kindle (the old and very light one with physical buttons to turn pages, here in its timbuk2 case)
    More food
    Pen
    USB key (my talk was ready before leaving! No need to carry a computer for three weeks! I had to do work related emails and such using dropbox, slack and email on my phone, then I tuned out of work)
    tissues
    iphone (used to take all the pictures)
    Note: I don't particularly like the purse, It was my first trip with it. I usually use a Timbuk2 purse that is waterproof but discontinued, but I wanted something black and the Timbuk2 one is grey-blue.

Aeronaut 30 - packing list for 26 days in Europe for work and play in August-aeronaut30_sizing-copie-jpg
    Here is a photo of me for sizing what the Aeronaut 30 looked like on my back with the travelon purse in the front (and to show off my white sneakers). The whole set up was very light (4.8 kg), I did laundry in the sink in Portugal and in a washing machine half-way through at a flat when we were in the same spot for 4 days.

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The A30 looks good on you, and its good to travel light, Ive never managed it that light for any length of time.
    We have the same muji wash bag and bottles, how do you find the bag, I also find it a bit stiff and bulky, and end up preferring
    A plastic 3-1-1 bag.
    Jaffa
    S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Nadia, I enjoy seeing how people travel light.

Question for you- in light of all your times in transit, were you happy to be carrying, rather than rolling, your bag? Did you use a waist belt? I love the idea of carrying but worry I’d feel it in my back and shoulders if I were to do it for 26 days.
    Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nadia, that is a very impressive light weight set up! I did a similar trip (with more stuff unneeded stuff Tbh) with a s19. I attaches the photo below. Mine was for a fall trip so I had to bring some layers. I would scrap one button down, the extra pair of pants, and the rain coat. Plus I would loose the synthetic underwear and just bring the merino stuff. Have you ever considered sizing down? The one lament I have is that I have to pack my bag deliberately. It is nice to just throw stuff in at the end of the day.

I love that you made the one pair of shoes thing work, even for a formal event. Seems that you have mastered the perfect combination of multi functional clothing with the "Nobody cares what I am wearing" mindset. I am always concerned people will notice I wore the same outfit before, but no one ever does.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love your post, Nadia! I love to see what other people pack. I was curious about Encircled before and now even more so.

Did you carry your A30 while sightseeing or did you leave it at the station left luggage or your accommodation? How did you find it to carry?

You mentioned you are unhappy with your Travelon purse. Do you think you'll get a Side Kick or a Travel Cubelet to replace it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Austin, TX
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting!

Did you bring any shoulder strap for the A30?

I'm debating if I should bring the Absolute strap or not on my trip tomorrow. It's pretty heavy when I'm trying to travel under 10kg.
    Last edited by sarah_atx; 11-02-2017 at 09:54 AM. Reason: clarification

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah_atx View Post
    Thanks for posting!

I'm debating if I should bring the Absolute strap or not on my trip tomorrow. It's pretty heavy when I'm trying to travel under 10kg.
    I always have mine in my A30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    fredletsTravels.com

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
    The A30 looks good on you, and its good to travel light, Ive never managed it that light for any length of time.
    We have the same muji wash bag and bottles, how do you find the bag, I also find it a bit stiff and bulky, and end up preferring
    A plastic 3-1-1 bag.
    Jaffa
    It was my lightest trip ever. I like the muji bag because I fill it to the brim and its sturdy Smilie it is heavy for its size, that's for sure

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    Thanks Nadia, I enjoy seeing how people travel light.

Question for you- in light of all your times in transit, were you happy to be carrying, rather than rolling, your bag? Did you use a waist belt? I love the idea of carrying but worry I’d feel it in my back and shoulders if I were to do it for 26 days.
    It was the heaviest I can carry for frequent travel like we did. My husband and 12 year old both have rolling bags (eagle creek no matter what 20 inches) and there were times I envied them, but not while walking on old streets in Warsaw or Krakow, or in a town center in a small place in Slovakia. The rolling bags just jump around on cobble stones. I did not have a waist belt and would not bother.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edward.dennihy View Post
    Nadia, that is a very impressive light weight set up! I did a similar trip (with more stuff unneeded stuff Tbh) with a s19. I attaches the photo below. Mine was for a fall trip so I had to bring some layers. I would scrap one button down, the extra pair of pants, and the rain coat. Plus I would loose the synthetic underwear and just bring the merino stuff. Have you ever considered sizing down? The one lament I have is that I have to pack my bag deliberately. It is nice to just throw stuff in at the end of the day.

I love that you made the one pair of shoes thing work, even for a formal event. Seems that you have mastered the perfect combination of multi functional clothing with the "Nobody cares what I am wearing" mindset. I am always concerned people will notice I wore the same outfit before, but no one ever does.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    Very impressive packing! I do have to think quite a bit about my packing list, there is no «*spurr of the moment*» bag making for me. As for the «*nobody cares what you wear*» I only think about being respectful of others but clearly I never remember what-people-wore-when, so I suppose its the same for them about me Smilie

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Love your post, Nadia! I love to see what other people pack. I was curious about Encircled before and now even more so.

Did you carry your A30 while sightseeing or did you leave it at the station left luggage or your accommodation? How did you find it to carry?

You mentioned you are unhappy with your Travelon purse. Do you think you'll get a Side Kick or a Travel Cubelet to replace it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm from Canada so I,m really happy to let more people know about a greatcanadian company like Encircled!

I never carried my bag around during the day and it would have been a pain because of back problems but it would have been entirely doable for a younger/more fit person. I would go for a real backpack with a waist strap if I planned to do so.

The travelon purse is great in terms of how much stuff I can put in, the fact that its kind of water resistant, but its «*anti-theft*» properties makes it heavy and too stiff for my tastes. But the size is just right for me. Of course I checked the new travel cubelet and want a mars red one like eveyrone, but I would use it more as an every day purse. While travelling I just love carrying a lot of «*just in case*» things (umbrella, water bottle, tissues, medicine, etc)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarah_atx View Post
    Thanks for posting!

I can't carry that much weight on one shoulder, so a shoulder strap is not an option for me, but again, 10lbs for most people is light and it may be a good option if your shoulder can handle it. I always handle carry when I come in hotels, just to look more like an adult Smilie

Forum Member
    Bordeaux, Paris
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently made two trips to Florida, once with an A45 and once with the A45 and a WF. On the first trip I left off the shoulder strap, and just used one of the backpack straps. When I took both bags on the second trip I did take the strap, but just for one of the two bags, again using one of the backpack straps for the other. It wasn't ideal for me, but it worked.