Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Florida, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Allbirds Wool Runners are pretty great: soft, flexible, lightweight, washable.

The ones with light grey or white soles come across as very sneaker-y, but the Natural Black (which has black soles) flies a little more under the radar: they are still decidedly casual, but I've been able to get away with wearing them to work.

Took them as my only pair of shoes on a trip to Montreal recently. A week of hard daily wear -- hiking Mont Royal, walking many miles each day, etc -- didn't faze them, and the merino wool held up great. (The fit has loosened a little bit over time, but they remain super comfortable.)

Will be ordering a second pair soon.
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 10-30-2017 at 06:51 PM.

MA USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a really big fan of Soft Star Shoes. They are hand made in Portland, OR can be customized for color and come is several different styles (my favorite is either Run-A-Moc Dash or Primal). They are, however, not for everyone. They are minimalist shoes with no real structure or arch support. I would caution that if you are not used to barefoot walking or don't have time (a month or more) to acclimate you may want to look elsewhere.
    DogBikeSpringRainbowTengu

Digital Nomad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rockports aren't bad for comfort, but in my opinion their style is a miss for me. They tend to make shoes shaped and designed like sneakers, but with leather components, and it really just looks like a leather sneaker.

But Rockport recently acquired the Dunham brand, which was a New Balance brand for a while. In my experience, Dunham makes some really good shoes that are stylish, versatile, and comfortable for the long haul.

I've had for a couple years now some Dunham REVdash boots in taupe leather.

Recommendations for mens business casual shoes for walking?-drydo719317_153967_jb1-jpg

The contrasting laces and taupe leather look fantastic with a pair of dark jeans or even some blue or tan chinos. They're waterproof, super-comfortalbe, and overall have just been one of my favorite pairs of shoes ever.

For a less wintery look, I have really enjoyed Dunham's boat shoes, but unfortunately the newer models added some rather unstylish black soles and mesh venting around the sides, which makes it look kind of dorky IMO. But I think if you can find a boat-ish shoe with a nice brown leather, you can totally dress that all the way up to wear with a sport coat if you wear fun socks and all the way down to shorts and a T-shirt. A good boat shoe -- that has a low-profile sole and no techy vents -- will always look great. Find something with this look:

Recommendations for mens business casual shoes for walking?-sperry-brown-authentic-original-2-eye-leather-boat-shoes-product-0-037240321-normal-jpg

Anyway, style is a personal thing. I would just say that if you want to look good, avoid shoes with excessive vents or highly noticeable soles -- especially black rubber soles. No matter the cut or material, a shoe with a big black sole is going to look like a sneaker. And if that's the case, just wear sneakers. (A good pair of retro sneakers you can pull off with almost anything.)

EDIT: Also, in terms of travel/packing, I always wear my heaviest shoes on the plane and maybe pack a small pair in my bag. For easily packable casual shoes, check out Tom's.
    Last edited by bouncing; 10-31-2017 at 10:31 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
    But I think the real key is making sure the shoes you buy are comfortable ‘before’ you buy them. The concept of needing to break a shoe in doesn’t work for me.
    I agree 100%. I would only buy shoes that you can try on in the store.

I have these (from Ecco) that seem to fit the need of the Original Post. I bought them because they were in stock in my size at my local shoe store and fit my foot very well. They have held up very well, I have worn them several days a week for 4 years and they still look fine.

https://us.shop.ecco.com/holton-apro...cgid=men-dress

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Googily Moogily View Post
    I wear these for professional and casual wear Men's 9048 Beckman Chukka Boot | Red Wing Heritage

Little bit of breakin but worth it IMO. I can walk all day in them and they are Goodyear welted so they will last many years if taken care of.
    I second Red Wings. I have a few pairs, and normally wear the Classic Chukkas while traveling. Men's 3141 Classic Chukka Boot | Red Wing Heritage
    A30, A45, S19, S25, Co-Pilot, Smart Alec, Tristar

Forum Member
    Southern California
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomGault View Post
    As I don't mind spending more in order to get a quality, durable product (well, we're all TB fans, aren't we?), what about any brands that normally have a longer life-span?
    I spent a week at Disney World with Alden Indys. No fatigue or pain in my legs or back, even after 12+ hour days. It seems counter-intuitive to be walking around all day in heavy boots, but they are comfortable and supportive. They are Goodyear welted, which means they can be resoled. I have had the heels replaced once, but the rest of the sole is still original and have plenty of life left after 5 years of being worn 2-3x per week.

Quote Originally Posted by Googily Moogily View Post
    I wear these for professional and casual wear Men's 9048 Beckman Chukka Boot | Red Wing Heritage
    I also have a pair Beckman boots with Superfeet insoles. They work as well as the Aldens, although the insoles do hold a bit more heat and make the fit a bit tighter.

Northern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My husband has been wearing the same Rockport shoes for at least 15 years. He wears them to the office, and as his everyday wear (including for travel).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00627GE3M

He wears the regular black, but also wears the chocolate nubucks.

Also more recently, people around work have started wearing Allbirds (the runners or the lounge ones; depends on whether you want laces or not). They are wool and come in multiple colors, and people swear they are comfortable. https://www.allbirds.com/

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would give look into Ecco. They are on the expensive side but the quality is usually very good and they are comfortable. They also last forever.

I've used Clarks off and on for 15+ years and in recent years the quality has gone down. This is just my experience. I'm tough on shoes. I buy several pairs every year - dress shoes for work, casual, and everything in between. I bought a nice pair of Clarks boots this winter and they bled through and made my socks brown (two different pairs). Clarks just don't do it for me anymore, but other users can vouch for them.

I'd try Ecco, Johnston and Murphy are good too.

Almost as important as which brand you buy is WHERE you buy. If you buy highly discounted (e.g., Amazon or other discounted outlets) then you are likely getting shoes that have known quality control issues. Go to a retailer that will work with you and take back the shoes if the shoes aren't working for you. Nordstrom, etc., even REI and LL Bean are good for some shoes and have wonderful return policies if the shoes are defective or just aren't working for you.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nthing Clarks and Rockports, though some styles better than others and quality has definitely gone down over the years.

Also for looking neat but feeling comfortable: SAS. But again, some styles are better than others, and the fit can vary by style, so it's very trial and error. When you find one that works, though, they feel similar to cushy slippers. Low on the arch support, though.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This probably won’t be popular but I wore my chuck Taylor IIs all around Mexico in November
    They have more support than the regular ones and I found them comfortable
    They also look nice with a casual/dressy pair of pants for a modern look

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mephisto makes a lot of extremely cushioned shoes. That could be worth a try.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second Allbirds. I'm currently wearing the women's version of this men's merino runner in dark grey.

They're comfy and have a bit of give to them. The only critique I've heard of them is that people eventually put their big toe through the fabric in earlier versions, and that the lounger style feels a bit like wearing your slippers to work.

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanaper View Post
    the lounger style feels a bit like wearing your slippers to work.
    Sounds good to me!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2