Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Hi, Elisa,

I also used Rabbies for the Rosslyn Chapel tour (and a different company, Heart of Scotland, for Stirling Castle). I liked the Rabbies tour; we also got a good drive-through of the Border Lands, and he timed our visit to the Chapel to when the staff gave a talk which I found really interesting.

The Heart of Scotland tour of Stirling Castle was good but didn't give us nearly enough time at the Castle; if I had to do that one over I'd just travel independently if it was feasible, and spend a longer time there.

Thanks for the compliment on the photos. I am making an album of the best ones and will link to it on this thread in a few days!

Beth
    Just to add (for those considering self-touring vs tour companies) Stirling is really easy to get to by train, but you have to take a bus to Rosslyn Chapel and it is quite far into the countryside if you become travel sick on winding roads.

Connecticut
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I WANT TO GO!!!
    Me too...bucket list. Great photos!
    --------------------------------

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings Cristina,
    Thanks for the tip about the train to Sterling. I enjoy train travel, so this seems like a perfect option for me!

While I love riding on the top deck of the double decker buses, the trip to Rosslyn Chapel by public bus did seem long. I stopped in the local public bus office next Waverly Train Station to ask about it. While the public bus system does go to Rosslyn, it takes quite a bit of time to get there and back from Edinburgh with all the local stops. My schedule could not accommodate it on my last trip. A dedicated tour definitely seems worth the price.

Thank you again! elisa

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post...Scotland is definitely on my wish list to visit! I enjoyed your photos and tips!

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been looking at this post for 3 days trying to figure out what the heck "coos" were. Sometimes I'm not the brightest bulb in the box.

Coos! With chewing and mooing and the milk!

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings Kelly S,
    Yes, the Scottish accent can be confounding. Most people I encountered called them a "hairy coo" and it took me a good day to figure out what they were talking about. They are very photogenic and large, too. elisa

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a shoutout for the East Coast train line, since @bchaplin mentioned it in the OP.

The scenery between Edinburgh and Berwick-upon-Tweed (and around Berwick as well) is amazing. You travel right along (like, within meters of) the coast for some of it, and if you are on the coastal side of the train (left heading south, right heading north) you will have a fantastic view.

I don't know about Virgin Trains but Cross Country trains that go along the East Coast have the best toilet facilities on board. All toilets are disabled-accessible and have baby changing tables.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Advice for best travel books/travel info sites for Scotland? I am trying to get to Dingwall (near Inverness) as a back-to-the-family-roots adventure this June. Will start from Edinburgh, spend a day or two, but then not sure if I should go up the coast on a train? Or a bus? And which coast?! Maybe go back south/west past Loch Ness to Fort William to take the Jacobite train? Then to Isle of Skye? Too many choices. Want to get a feel of the country, see rugged places, and not be in a vehicle every second too. Suggestions or not to be missed sights would be welcome! And I just ordered a Co-Pilot to be my travel bag (along with a roller suitcase). I will be bringing the DLBP for a walking about bag for outdoors/light hiking. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've taken the bus between Fort William and Inverness. (There is no train.) It was a mixture of tourists and locals since it makes on demand stops at numerous villages. You also go around the north shore of Loch Ness.

Citylink buses are clean, fairly comfortable and efficient. I normally don't like buses as much as trains but when the scenery is good it's worth it.

The train between Fort William and Glasgow is not to be missed. I started in Glasgow and the scenery would just get better and better. Even off season this train can be full. I would, and may, take it again.

You could do a circle route......Edinburgh to Inverness to Fort William to Skye to Glasgow to Edinburgh. I did something similar but didn't have enough time so I'm going to do it again.

Rick Steves guidebooks are good but don't cover a lot. If he doesn't like a place or his tours don't go there, he doesn't write about it. But for the places he covers they are in detail. His website along with Fodors, Lonely Planet have a lot of information.
    Last edited by Frank II; 02-03-2018 at 01:08 PM.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2