Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emotional bug-out bag

A short time ago, I read about the idea of an emotional bug-out bag, so if the stress of everyday life gets overwhelming I can grab the bag and do something for myself for a while.
    Of course this is not always possible, but I really like the idea.

I proudly present: my emotional bug-out bag. It's the Daylight Backpack in a beautiful french-blue filled with pencils and crayons for drawing, a field journal notebook, Fotos that make me happy, healthy snacks I love, a teddy and a postcard from Thombihn that I got together with a wonderful solar pouch, because I had a bad day. Love it.

Emotional bug-out bag-img_0609-jpg

Maybe it's because the alternative is usually to binge watch Netflix and stuff chocolate in my face, which is not that effective in the end.

What would you put in an emotional bug-out bag?

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we all need mental health days!

mine would have: waterproof backed picnic blanket; one of my favorite books: alice in wonderland or the snow leopard or the names of things; water bottle; salty snack and peanut M&Ms; photos of my family; earplugs or music if I can't find a quiet space

I would set up on a lawn under a tree where I could listen to the wind through the leaves or waves crashing on shore, mentally wander, sometimes read, and probably take a nap!

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The emotional bug-out bag idea should be incorporated into everyone’s evacuation bag. I can imagine that your bag would be super comforting at a shelter.

I’d bring a soft blanket, journal and pencils, photos, dark chocolate, and maybe a travel or Listology book.
    Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Alabama
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -Eno hammock and straps
    -Fiji water
    -Gardettos
    -Would need to stop for Starbucks to go coffee
    -Rummikub
    -Throw blanket
    -Ereader
    -Headphones
    -Wordsearch
    -Colouring book
    -Coloured pencil
    -Sunshine!!!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually have a small kit for this purpose, in a tin. It has some small vials of essential oils for relaxation, a small tealight candle, a silk pocket scarf (for self soothing), some dark chocolate and some home laminated cards with qi gong as well as breathing exercises for stress. I use to bring it for work traveling, and now resides in my emergency go bag if I have to evacuate.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Digital Nomad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love it.

I'd probably throw in some bourbon, a nice pair of headphones, and a book.

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooh, I know what I'm doing with one of my Travel Cubelets!

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love this idea! Mine will have a book, a notebook, a pen and pencil, a Paddington Bear, a snack, and headphones. And probably wine. Smilie

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love this idea too! I have not a dedicated bag but I feel I have items that fall into that category in my bag of the day:

1. Bar of dark chokolat: because CHOKOLAT
    2. a bag of two of black tea: because with the chokolat together it is like a hug from a loving person
    3. my Tralver‘s Notebook: because pen and paper helps me to stay sane
    4. Terry Pratchett Audiobooks on my phone: because his books are like a security blanket to me, I am weird that way
    5. more audiobooks and ebooks: because that way I can read/listen when and where ever
    6. headphones: because see point 4. and 5.
    7. at least three flashlights: because I am not good with darkness and this way what ever comes I have some light

Come to think of it, the items in my bag of the day that are purely funktional seem to be in the minority :O who knew ��

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

TB Ravelry Moderator Mausermama's Avatar
    Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pretty much carry my emotional support with me wherever I go. I always have a bit of knitting or spinning on me along with an extra small organizer pouch with a few vials of essential oils. I also keep a special fountain pen and a notebook on me. Sometimes I may also carry my kindle, but if I get the urge to read, I can always read off of my iPhone. It's not the same as having the tangible feel of paper under my fingertips, but it's better than having nothing.

Lately I've been trying to teach myself some basic watercolor skills and bought a travel watercolor set, so I also sometimes take that one out and about, but it's not always in my bag.

I tend to stress easily if I don't have something to do with my hands, so I've always had my knitting or spinning close at hand. I learned that the hard way when many years ago my car broke down and I was (gasp!) without my knitting! I sat waiting for my husband to get me for over an hour with nothing to do. When he finally arrived, I had a super organized glove box, though!

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    4. Terry Pratchett Audiobooks on my phone: because his books are like a security blanket to me, I am weird that way
    I adore the Pratchett Discworld books...they are my sane touchpoint in an insane world... I have the Kindle versions with me though, not the audio

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah! This is what my SE is and why it's always so heavy! I like thinking of it as an emotional bug-out bag. It contains:

1. Several packets of tea
    2. A small notepad with pen, because how do people think/observe without pen and paper?
    3. A little pouch that says "Once Upon A Time" to remind me that we all get to write our own (life)story. This pouch is full of rubies and other semiprecious gems, including my daughter's birthstone, because why not?
    4. A mala
    5. Lip balm
    6. Burt's bees salve
    7. Cough drops
    8. Eye drops (not having dry eyes is very emotionally soothing for those of us who've had LASIK)
    9. A Larabar (me not having a blood sugar crash is very emotionally soothing for my husband)
    10. Assorted odds and ends that bring me joy and I bring everywhere.

I can live without all my other TB bags except this SE. It's like a window to my soul.

England
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This seems like a wonderful idea. I will have to think about what I would put into it. I suspect eye drops, my finger cymbals, ear buds, iPod, mala/tasbih/prayer beads of some sort; those are the first to come to mind, but there might be other things too.

Thanks for prompting the idea Smilie
    I love my Burnt Orange Medium Cafe Bag, Black MCB, and Azure LCB.
    The Preciouses: A45 in black/zest, (original) Yeoman Duffel in verde, Mini Yeoman Duffel in Burnt Orange, the S19 in black/ultraviolet, and the MB in black/northwest sky; Shop Bags in zest, monarch, sitka, fjord, and island.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    The emotional bug-out bag idea should be incorporated into everyone’s evacuation bag. I can imagine that your bag would be super comforting at a shelter.

I’d bring a soft blanket, journal and pencils, photos, dark chocolate, and maybe a travel or Listology book.
    Absolutely correct. While everyone's "emotional support gear" will be different, it is vital that it is incorporated in your every day carry bag. As an emergency manager, I've seen people become quite distraught during unusual events (even short shelter in place events), while others seemed perfectly fine and happy reading a book or doing a crossword puzzle - basically anything to take their mind off the current situation.

Don't forget to pack an emotional kit for kids and pets too - or your emotional kit won't do you any good.

Speaking of EDC kits, the ones for dogs and cats need to include some sort of toy, snack and a water/food bowl. Since it is often impractical to carry food for the four legged ones, figure out well in advance what "people food" your pet will tolerate well (without, shall we say, an adverse effect on bathroom habits - but also determine what foods will constipate if necessary) but remember that there are some foods that are an absolute no-no for your pet. Don't forget vaccination papers and a report of any medical issues or allergies. I use a TB luggage tag on the handle of my GSD's leash to keep a folded up copy of the papers and one of my business cards. Why on the leash and not on the collar? This way it doesn't bang against her when she is horsing around.

Remember that our pets are actually an important part of OUR emotional support kit.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep wondering, was this thread inspired by the making of the TB video on using the pop tote as an EBOB or did this thread inspire the video?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast