1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Dad mentioned going to the Anne Frank Museum. I had not thought about buying tickets in advance. It's actually something I feel I could skip. But if Dad really wants to go, I'll mention getting the tickets in advance. Thanks for the heads up on that one.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An amazing trip. PLEASE keep us updated on how everything goes.
    Luminary with a MCB Freudian Slip or Cache, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer, multiple PCSB and OP in lots of pretty colors

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got my Global Entry interview appointment. Anything to make getting through crowds easier. Standing in line makes me itch.

For Lufthansa, an A45 can be used as carryon, but it has to weigh less that 17.6 lbs. I don't think I've ever weighed my luggage before.

Those of you who have traveled with a fully packed A45, how much did it weigh?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ballistic A45 weighed about 14lbs for my last trip. I was trying to stay under the 7KG JAL carry-on weight limit but no one checked anyway.

I could only weigh it by stepping on the scale alone, then stepping on holding the luggage. Perhaps not that accurate a weight. It will vary a lot depending on what you bring...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!!! I never thought of weighing myself and then me and the bag. Brilliant. That should get me close enough to figure out if I'll be within the weight limit. I might do a goofy test pack, throwing in my heaviest clothing and toiletries and seeing what it all weighs. Actually, my body has a weight limit, so this would be a good thing for me to check out before the trip.

I plan on avoiding electronics except for my phone. Electronics are just too heavy and I won't use them on the trip. If I get another A45, I might even skip using the Absolute Shoulder Strap, and go with the backpack straps. I love the AS, but the hardware is heavy.

I'm thinking an A45 and a Pilot for either me or my husband, and then 2 other bags. As much as I love my D36, I think another A45 might be in order (if you pardon the pun). Then a Pop Tote (packed), a SK or SE packed in the Pilot, and maybe one of our old briefcases, because I'm not buying another Pilot.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BWeaves, if you're needing to pare down the weight but would like the convenience of the AS, you could always stow the AS in your Pilot during the airline entry gauntlet. I personally find the A45 backpack straps convenient for short distances, but the carry gets heavy fast on long hauls.

BTW, remember you also need to deal with weight on the way back, which isn't always the same in both directions (you use up X, but you may buy Y). If you've got clothes that are on their last legs and ready for the trash pile anyway (say, socks, underwear, sleep clothes that can't be donated), they can be good things to carry, wear, then throw away before heading home, which lightens the return load.

For when you don't have a (person) scale available, you can also carry with you a small luggage scale (one example) to use to weigh your bags before you're heading home. They're small and easy to store, though if you're not as worried about weight/carry-on coming home specifically, then I'd skip it.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember, everything you put in you Aeronaut counts towards the weight limit. The more empty bags you put in the more it will weigh.

Just take the minimum amount of toiletries. You can find most items where you are going. It is not a group of third world countries.

Personal items and coats are not weighed. Use them to put in items that might make you go overweight on the Aeronaut. (Electronics and your 3-1-1 bag should go in either the personal item or a coat pocket.)

Weighing yourself and your bag really isn't a good method. I tried it and then used a small, portable luggage scale and the difference was over 2 lbs

Scales are inexpensive and good to have around. Something like this that has a tape measure built in:

Amazon.com | Luggage Scale, LEOKOR Hand Scales with Tape Measure for Travel Baggage Weight (Black) | Luggage Scales
    Last edited by Frank II; 01-10-2018 at 10:07 AM.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    Thanks!!! I never thought of weighing myself and then me and the bag. Brilliant. That should get me close enough to figure out if I'll be within the weight limit. I might do a goofy test pack, throwing in my heaviest clothing and toiletries and seeing what it all weighs. Actually, my body has a weight limit, so this would be a good thing for me to check out before the trip.

I plan on avoiding electronics except for my phone. Electronics are just too heavy and I won't use them on the trip. If I get another A45, I might even skip using the Absolute Shoulder Strap, and go with the backpack straps. I love the AS, but the hardware is heavy.

I'm thinking an A45 and a Pilot for either me or my husband, and then 2 other bags. As much as I love my D36, I think another A45 might be in order (if you pardon the pun). Then a Pop Tote (packed), a SK or SE packed in the Pilot, and maybe one of our old briefcases, because I'm not buying another Pilot.
    What about using the Pop Tote combined with your second Aeronaut instead of a briefcase?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    What about using the Pop Tote combined with your second Aeronaut instead of a briefcase?
    I have considered that. We have one short flight within Europe, and Canada Air carryon rules imply that the Pop Tote is the wrong dimensions for the personal item, while the Pilot and the briefcase fit the dimensions. For Lufthansa, the Pop Tote is going to be fine, but I don't want to get stuck halfway through the trip with a carryon that isn't allowed. Plus, I think my husband may be more comfortable with his briefcase format. It has more organization than the Pop Tote. Or my husband may forgo a personal item. He usually shares mine, but this is a long trip.

Mostly, I'm saving the Pop Tote for emergency extras on the way home, or while shopping and site seeing. If, for some reason, I end up with too much stuff on the way home, I plan on wearing as much as possible, Heidi style, and then cramming the extra layers in the Pop Tote once I'm aboard the plane. They can't throw me off midair, right?
    Last edited by BWeaves; 01-10-2018 at 11:33 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I have considered that. We have one short flight within Europe, and Canada Air carryon rules imply that the Pop Tote is the wrong dimensions for the personal item, while the Pilot and the briefcase fit the dimensions. For Lufthansa, the Pop Tote is going to be fine, but I don't want to get stuck halfway through the trip with a carryon that isn't allowed. Plus, I think my husband may be more comfortable with his briefcase format. It has more organization than the Pop Tote. Or my husband may forgo a personal item. He usually shares mine, but this is a long trip.

Mostly, I'm saving the Pop Tote for emergency extras on the way home, or while shopping and site seeing. If, for some reason, I end up with too much stuff on the way home, I plan on wearing as much as possible, Heidi style, and then cramming the extra layers in the Pop Tote once I'm aboard the plane. They can't throw me off midair, right?
    Ah, I hadn't realized the Pop Tote was too big. I love the idea of wearing all of your clothes on the plane, which takes a certain amount of commitment if you're flying in May, from Florida (IIRC?). All those extra clothes will come in handy though as you will probably want to put them all back on again as soon as you arrive.

What about adding a DLBC to your Aeronaut order?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not fond of the Day Light items. They just don't work for me.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BWeaves:

I hope you enjoy your trip.
    I won't add much to the great advice you have already received here in the forum, but I would repeat that you ought to be ready for rain.

As for your phone charger, most recent chargers are dual voltage: Europe uses 220 volts, the US uses 120 volts. The voltage range a given appliance accepts should always be marked (though you might need a magnifying glass!). Please do make sure you check first. If yours is dual voltage, then all you will need will be an inexpensive plug converter that will convert the rectangular US plug blades to fit in the round plug holes. both Germany and the Netherlands use the same type of plug, often called a "schuko" type plug. You can look this up on the internet, and find the plug adapters cheaply on Amazon (and in most German department and electronics stores). (You can also find them for a lot more money from travel catalogs and in airport electronics stores, and you won't need a whole set of different adapters, just one type.)

I'm sure you have already realized that this sort of trip can be emotionally very draining, so you ought to plan in some "down time" to process what you will learn about your father's past, and you should include fun things to balance the potential tough stuff. (I find a little ice cream goes a long way with my students after a rough visit. It might sound appropriate only for young people, but a little treat can go a long way if you are stressed. ). If you have time, you might want to do a little reading on the Holocaust and German history from the 30's and 40's before you go. it won't necessarily make you happy, but it will help you process what you learn, and might lead you to ask fruitful questions when speaking with your father.

good luck, and let us all know how it goes!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds fun!

If you bring your own phone, I would recommend getting the Google Translate and Google Maps apps ahead of time.

Google Translate allows you to download language packs so that it can be used offline when you arrive. There is even a feature where you can point the camera at a sign or restaurant menu, and it will translate the text in place and attempts to match perspective and the colors. Very Handy!

Google Maps allows you to cache maps for a geographic area ahead of time so you can use them offline, and they are quite efficient. You won't have access to reviews, traffic, satellite imagery, or transit options - but addresses, business names, and points of interest are all there, and easily searched. It will provide you turn-by-turn directions if driving or walking.

Here is your post camera translated into German (sort of)...

Help, I'm going to Germany.-img_8930-jpg
    Last edited by imperator; 01-12-2018 at 03:03 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3