Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question International Travel with a Disability Using Only Carry-ons! Is it possible?

Hi evadviceeryone,

I am looking at traveling to Finland in September of this year! I may be gone for as long as 3 weeks. A friend is doing research for two years over there and there may be romantic interest. There is a lot at risk here everybody! I will be flying by myself. I will be purchasing a Synapse 25 for my daily carry bag. I anticipate that this is where I will hold my toiletries, medicines, travel documents, school materials, laptop and a change of clothes as well as any other small items I may need.

My question for the forum is: What other international carry on size bag would you recommend? This one will house clothes and a pair or two of shoes, extra medical items I may need since I don't know what will be available where I am going. I'm thinking about the Aeronaut 30, but I want to hear from the forum first.

I will be using my wheelchair when I travel so I'd like something that I can carry on my lap since my Synapse will be on the back of my chair or on my back

Oh if the bag itself is light that would be a plus, I have a bad back.

I'm not worried about internal organization since all of the clothes I'm planning on bringing with me won't wrinkle

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The synapse25 is likely too big for a carry on personal item (I tried to Italy and was made to check my A30 and keep the S25 as my carry on!!) unless you pack it super light and small. The Aeronaut is a great international carry on bag and maybe the S19 if you are thinking of a second bag as a personal item (I wasn't sure). The A30 is super light and would be comfortable on a lap in a wheelchair as it is squishy. For 3 weeks you would have to pack very light and have access to a washing machine IMO.
    Aeronaut 30 in Aubergine/Wasabi
    Ristretto in Olive/Cayenne
    Small cafe in Plum Cordura/Olive
    Western Flyer in Black/Island
    Synapse 19 in Burnt Orange/Northwest Sky
    Smart Alec in Black/Iberian
    Synapse 25 in Red Blend/Northwest Sky
    Small Cafe bag in Red Blend/Navy (EDCB)
    Accessories:travel tray , Travel Laundry Stuff Sack, 3D Organizer Cube, Set of A30 Aether Packing Cubes, Side Effect, and a Double Organizer Pouch I use as a wallet.

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're not concerned about organization, the Small Yeoman duffle is lightweight and very easy to pack.

ETA: the Small Yeoman with a couple of cubes and a Daylight Backpack would be pretty much guaranteed to work, and are comparatively budget-friendly.
    Last edited by kieri; 01-25-2018 at 12:04 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

International Travel with a Disability Using Only Carry-ons! Is it possible?

If you like the segmented organization of the S25 then I think an Aeronaut is probably going to be the right style for you. But could you clarify how many carry on sized bags you're allowed? If you travel with a wheelchair are you allowed two carry on bags instead of a carry on and a personal item?

If you do need to downsize your second bag, I would think about the Night Flight Travel Duffle. It's like a mini Aeronaut. I recognize there is a romantic aspect to your trip so that may not afford enough space for whatever special clothes or shoes you might want to have, but it is sized as a personal item so you should be ok with that and an S25.

ETA: to save you time comparing, the NFTD is 20L

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all depend on the airline(s) baggage allowance.

Is there a possibility for you to fly direct from a U.S hub?

I don't think that the S25 qualify as a personal item.

The S19 is most likely to qualify. So do all the small bags mentioned by the other posters above. I think all of them can be personal item/EDC at the destination for what you will carry.
    I take this statement from your original post: "I anticipate that this is where I will hold my toiletries, medicines, travel documents, school materials, laptop and a change of clothes as well as any other small items I may need." as a way to figure out what you may need.

It is also important to know if your airline has luggage weight restriction, if it does, the best fabric for your bags would likely be Aether.

The A30 has backpack straps, would you be able to place it in the back of the wheelchair? I don't have one, so feedback from A30 owners would be great.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at the size AND weight restrictions of the airlines you plan to take. The Synapse 25 is nearly the maximum size allowed as the main carry on.

My suggestion would be to get something like an Aeronaut 45 that can go on the back of your chair while traveling and get a folding backpack for daily needs. The folding bag, while empty, will lie flat in your main carry on. These are usually very light.

Or, you could get a Packing Cube Backpack. You could use it as a packing cube for your travels then use it as a day bag at your destinaton.
    Last edited by Frank II; 01-25-2018 at 08:11 PM.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take the s25 as a personal item with me every time I travel, but I only ever pack it maybe 2/3 of the way full. I could easily put it into a personal item sizer box, though I have never been asked to do that. My experience is that most airlines donít bother you at all with a backpack, only roller suitcases. Just wanted to share my experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    I take the s25 as a personal item with me every time I travel, but I only ever pack it maybe 2/3 of the way full. I could easily put it into a personal item sizer box, though I have never been asked to do that. My experience is that most airlines don’t bother you at all with a backpack, only roller suitcases. Just wanted to share my experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The S19 would qualify as my personal item but the S25 would not. Here is what I'm taking with me:

Clothes:
    Tops: 5 t-shirts, 1 long sleeve, 1 tank top,
    Bottoms: 1 pair of pants, 2 shorts, 1 leggings, 1 skirt
    1 dress
    Undergarments: 4 pairs of undies, 3 undershirts, 2 bras, 3 pairs socks
    Shoes: flats and tennis shoes
    Outerwear: 1 sweater, 1 jacket or hoodie and a rain jacket
    **Wear the bulkiest items**
    School/Technology: Computer, Phone, Chargers, Inverter/adapter, earbuds, notebook, pen, and pencil, highlighter pencils, flash drive
    Important Documents and Items, Passport, Photo ID, Debit card/cash to convert, Emergency contact form/medical history sheet, Letter from Dr. Doty,Water Bottle, RX Medications and OTC meds (I'm not sure what is available).

Will this all fit in the S25? I am trying to travel as light as possible

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to add that I will bringing some toiletries with me: multi-use soap, razor, hairbrush, hair ties, toothbrush, and toothpaste, moisturizer, and very minimal makeup.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that will fit in the S25 assuming the laptop is on the smaller size and you are good at packing. Good luck! I am reading this as you are packing flats and wearing sneakers (assuming those are the bigger item).
    Accessories:travel tray , Travel Laundry Stuff Sack, 3D Organizer Cube, Set of A30 Aether Packing Cubes, Side Effect, and a Double Organizer Pouch I use as a wallet.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    I think that will fit in the S25 assuming the laptop is on the smaller size and you are good at packing. Good luck! I am reading this as you are packing flats and wearing sneakers (assuming those are the bigger item).
    Thank you for the advice. Yes the sneakers are much bigger than my flats. I have super small feet. I wear a European size 35 or 36. So my flats will easily fit in my bag.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok for that it’s worth I have both the s25 and the smart Alec and massively prefer packing the smart Alec for what you are describing. I do use packing cubes. Just throwing that out there. I like the s25 when I need to get things but as a stuff it all in bag I don’t think you can beat the smart Alec. It to each her own Smilie

https://www.tombihn.com/collections/...nt=16396801671
    Last edited by hillview; 01-29-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too, think you might be able to get everything into the S25, but depending on the size of the laptop, shoes, clothes, and books, it could get quite full or jammed, which may not make quick access easy or leave your fancier clothes as pristine as you might like. If you do go that route, the S25 internal frame might be a helpful accessory to help keep the bag from barreling. (I haven't tried one yet, but others speak highly of it.)

Depending on the laptop size, though, I find the Synapse 19 a more appropriate day pack than the S25 since it has organization and a water bottle pocket, but is more maneuverable and unobtrusive than the S25.

The A30 is a great bag, and it's what I'd probably go with plus the S19; but like kieri said, if organization isn't a concern, the Yeoman Duffle is considerably lighter and less expensive. The one advantage I find of the A30 (besides organization) is that it's a taller shape compared to the YD's wider shape, which works better for me, but it depends which shape is more comfortable for more of your carry needs.

Three weeks is a good amount of time, though, and if there's a potential for romance, then you may want to have something dressier to carry than a backpack for special evenings, like a small crossbody or clutch-type bag. A Cafe Bag is my personal first choice, but their lack of structure and openish top would make one a pain to carry on your lap if necessary, while the shape and zippered closure of a Side Kick or Side Effect would work well. Sounds like a lot for packing light, I know, but they weigh very little, and you can pack things into the SK/SE (or other small non-TB bag) like a packing cube for traveling, then have it available for those date-type nights when you want to feel and look a bit fancier and more special.

Good luck, kirbysgirl!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw View Post
    I, too, think you might be able to get everything into the S25, but depending on the size of the laptop, shoes, clothes, and books, it could get quite full or jammed, which may not make quick access easy or leave your fancier clothes as pristine as you might like. If you do go that route, the S25 internal frame might be a helpful accessory to help keep the bag from barreling. (I haven't tried one yet, but others speak highly of it.)

Depending on the laptop size, though, I find the Synapse 19 a more appropriate day pack than the S25 since it has organization and a water bottle pocket, but is more maneuverable and unobtrusive than the S25.

The A30 is a great bag, and it's what I'd probably go with plus the S19; but like kieri said, if organization isn't a concern, the Yeoman Duffle is considerably lighter and less expensive. The one advantage I find of the A30 (besides organization) is that it's a taller shape compared to the YD's wider shape, which works better for me, but it depends which shape is more comfortable for more of your carry needs.

Three weeks is a good amount of time, though, and if there's a potential for romance, then you may want to have something dressier to carry than a backpack for special evenings, like a small crossbody or clutch-type bag. A Cafe Bag is my personal first choice, but their lack of structure and openish top would make one a pain to carry on your lap if necessary, while the shape and zippered closure of a Side Kick or Side Effect would work well. Sounds like a lot for packing light, I know, but they weigh very little, and you can pack things into the SK/SE (or other small non-TB bag) like a packing cube for traveling, then have it available for those date-type nights when you want to feel and look a bit fancier and more special.

Good luck, kirbysgirl!
    kmw,

Thank you so much for all of the advice. Which bag between the SK or SE would you recommend? Is there one you prefer over the other? Oh and I forgot I will also have some snacks with me. . . so many things and such little space. We also might be going on a hike or two. . . There are so many things to consider.

kirbysgirl

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirbysgirl View Post
    kmw,

Thank you so much for all of the advice. Which bag between the SK or SE would you recommend? Is there one you prefer over the other? Oh and I forgot I will also have some snacks with me. . . so many things and such little space. We also might be going on a hike or two. . . There are so many things to consider.

kirbysgirl
    Hahaha, right?!? I can only mention the smaller fancyish bag because it's exactly the kind of thing I've found myself lacking on previous trips myself.

For the SK vs SE, it depends on what you generally carry in your bag. I have both, but I personally prefer the SK because it's still plenty small yet I can fit a full-size hair brush (the curse of bangs), regular pens standing up (not lying down), and I feel like I just have more room to access the stuff inside. I do use the SE sometimes, and I'm glad I have it, but with the stuff I carry, I always feel like I'm having to take things out to get to other things. Whereas with the SK, that little bit of extra room means I can just swoop in and grab something what I need more easily. (I'm also physically on the larger side, so the SK looks less weensy next to me. Smilie)

If your date-night stuff is more minimal or smaller, though, the SE could totally work. Lots of people here love it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast