Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iguacu Falls - birds, anteaters, tropical paradise? advise me please!

Going to Foz do Iguacu in Brazil for a week this May. Wink I have a three-leg flight to get there, but once I am on location I will plunk myself down in an airBNB for a week. So packing should be pretty easy. I will probably check a small bag through if I can, and carry my essentials in case the suitcase gets lost.

Has anyone been there? I would love advice. I'll be with my Portuguese-speaking, part-Brazilian family, so language isn't really an issue. We will have a car and might do day trips into Argentina and/or Paraguay. I have visited Rio and Sao Paulo, but have never been this far south in Brazil. Best clothes to bring for walking around the park and in the city? Must-see destinations? The only thing I have researched so far is that the coatimundis bite, and should not be fed. My previous track record of leaving the wildlife alone is not good, but I will try to resist, since I'm not sure my health insurance covers me outside of the U.S.

Will be traveling through the Miami Airport (which I remember from a previous trip as quite large and involving a lot of walking, leading to my idea of checking a bag and traveling light), and Lima, Peru. I'd also be glad to hear of anyone's experiences in the Lima Airport -- I've never been there before.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 02-09-2018 at 03:09 PM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to be able to offer advice on such a fantastic trip, but unfortunately I can't. I am envious!
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Winona, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been to Iguazu, but on the Argentina side. It was almost ten years ago now, and it was just a couple of days. I was traveling with a group of students from the university where I teach and we did a 40-day trip starting from Buenos Aires and ending up in Lima. I remember it was warm. I wore Chacos, a tank top, and shorts. I looked at the animals but did not touch Big Grin We also spent the day volunteering in a Guarani village, which was an eye-opening experience. The falls are beautiful! Have a great time!

I was in the airport in Lima last fall. Most flights from the US get in very late, so there are some stores/food places that stay open even past midnight.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I visited Iguazu Falls in 2012 and loved it so much. I spent a total of three days exploring both the Argentinian side and Brazilian side of the falls. I went in November and it was very hot and humid and it even rained for an hour during one of the days. Definitely bring insecticides, preferably with Deet. You may want to check with you doctor if you need malaria pills. I can't remember if I took malaria pills back in 2012.

In terms of what to do, I recommend spending one day in each side of the falls. The Brazilian side is bigger and has lots of mini waterfalls everywhere, but the Argentinian side has the devil's throat. Outside the park itself, You may also want to visit the Marco das Tres Fonteiras, which is the spot where Brazil, Paraguay, and Argentina all meet in the merging of the Rio Iguacu and Rio Parana.

You will have a great time. The Iguazu falls is beyond amazing.

Oh.. As to Lima airport, it's just a typical airport. Nothing exciting or special about it.

Winona, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, Canadians have to pay a $160 reciprocity fee to enter Argentina (good for 10 years), but US citizens no longer have to. (in case that applies)

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nessagr View Post
    Also, Canadians have to pay a $160 reciprocity fee to enter Argentina (good for 10 years), but US citizens no longer have to. (in case that applies)
    Thanks for the confirmation! Yes, as far as I can tell, Argentina is now free for US tourists, which is great! I would really like to see the falls from that side. My Brazilian relatives are all about going over the border to shop. I think I'll skip that excursion and do more of the park instead.

Paraguay, on the other hand, charges $160, so I may pass on seeing it. Unless there is something compelling to make it worthwhile, since we'd only be there for the day.

One thing I'm realizing is that I will need to carry my passport for some of these touring days. Guess I should get a waterproof bag for it, and my phone, given the places I'm likely to be walking. I used to have an passport-sized LokSak, which disintegrated after a few years of use, so it might be time to seek out another.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderersaurus View Post
    I visited Iguazu Falls in 2012 and loved it so much. I spent a total of three days exploring both the Argentinian side and Brazilian side of the falls. I went in November and it was very hot and humid and it even rained for an hour during one of the days. Definitely bring insecticides, preferably with Deet. You may want to check with you doctor if you need malaria pills. I can't remember if I took malaria pills back in 2012.
    Thanks!
    The anti-malaria pills always give me an upset stomach, so I hope they're not needed, but you're right that I should check with my doctor. Will add mosquito repellent to the packing list!
    ----
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I visited Iguazu Falls back in December 1999. At that time we did not need anti-malarial pills. However, I did just need them in Africa. One of the women on the trip got an upset stomach--just as we were checking in for a flight. She had taken the anti-malarial pill on an empty stomach. We had a doctor with us who reminded us all to take anti-malarial pills with your main meal or at least with food. I found that I was a bit dizzy. Fortunately I had my seasickness wrist bands with me. (You have to wear one on each wrist.) they worked like a charm.

Iguazu Falls is beautiful--both the Brazilian and Argentinian sides. Do both if you can. Get a window seat on your flights as the view from the air is spectacular. In December the weather was sunny and quite warm. I prefer light weight long-sleeved shirts to sunscreen and you'll definitely need a hat with a brim. As I was on a post-cruise tour, I only saw the falls. After the falls, the group flew to Rio for a couple of days and then home. What I remember about travel is the airlines were very strict on luggage weight--more for checked bags than carryon. By now, they likely weigh both.

Have a wonderful trip!

Forum Member
    Idaho
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I re-read my response I realized I didn't specify which medication we were all taking. I believe the whole group was taking generic Malarone or Atovaquone/proguanil. Here are a couple of links to check. If you are staying in the Iguazu area, it appears that you will not need to take an anti-malarial, but be sure to check this information again before you depart. Things can change.
    https://redplanet.travel/mdtravelhea...ions/argentina - Malaria in Argentina: prophylaxis is recommended for rural areas of Salta province (along the border with Bolivia).
    https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destina...an/none/brazil No malaria in the cities of Brasilia, Rio de Janeiro, São Paolo, and none at Iguaçu. Falls