Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tips for traveling with Toddler around Pacific NW

Hello all,

We will be traveling to the West Coast, with our 10 months old toddler - start from Vancouver then Seattle, and lastly San Francisco. It is our first time in Western country. I'm sure there will be a big culture - compare to Asian. I have a few questions and hope you guys could help out, share your experience - allowing us to be best prepare, especially traveling with a 10 months old toddler who can barely stand on his own.

1- TSA
    Is there special queue line for parents, traveling with baby? We called it here Priority Line, for VIPs and those who required special assistance. I admit that not all airport has this line available, but normally there is in International Airport.

We will be departing from SeaTac and San Francisco Intl Airport.

2-Toddler High Chair with/without Tray
    Is such amenities normally available in café/restaurant?

3-Taxi or Uber
    Do parents need to disclose early, if we are bringing our toddler together in the vehicles?

Feel free to share your tips, if you have any thoughts.
    We will be bringing our Child Seat too, primarily to be use in the plane.

Thanks!
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    Hello all,

We will be traveling to the West Coast, with our 10 months old toddler - start from Vancouver then Seattle, and lastly San Francisco. It is our first time in Western country. I'm sure there will be a big culture - compare to Asian. I have a few questions and hope you guys could help out, share your experience - allowing us to be best prepare, especially traveling with a 10 months old toddler who can barely stand on his own.

1- TSA
    Is there special queue line for parents, traveling with baby? We called it here Priority Line, for VIPs and those who required special assistance. I admit that not all airport has this line available, but normally there is in International Airport.

We will be departing from SeaTac and San Francisco Intl Airport.

2-Toddler High Chair with/without Tray
    Is such amenities normally available in café/restaurant?

3-Taxi or Uber
    Do parents need to disclose early, if we are bringing our toddler together in the vehicles?

Feel free to share your tips, if you have any thoughts.
    We will be bringing our Child Seat too, primarily to be use in the plane.

Thanks!
    Welcome to the west coast!

Unless you have TSA Pre-check/Global Entry or one of the pre-registered paid services (ClearCheck or whatever it's called), you'll probably have to go through normal security at the airports.
    It depends on what terminal and security entrance you use, how busy it is, etc. on whether there are extra lines and/or they shuffle you to a separate line.
    Leave plenty of time to negotiate the airport & security. Note that TSA has increased the number of electronic items you will probably have to remove from your bags, so pack accordingly:
    https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/20...urity-measures

Most US restaurants that are welcoming to families will have a high chair or booster seat.

I don't know about Uber, but you don't have to tell a Taxi that you have a child.

Plan on dressing in layers... the weather can be very changeable... and bring very comfortable walking shoes! Also note that the west coast is GENERALLY less formal and less dressy than other parts of the US, so depending on what you plan on doing, your packing should be easier. Especially if you're bringing a toddler...

Have fun with your planning and the trip!
    Last edited by G42; 02-10-2018 at 07:09 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, most restaurants will have high chairs, but they usually don't have a tray and sometimes will have broken or missing strap buckles. Depending on how wiggly your kid is, you might have to occasionally have him on your lap. I find it useful to search for restaurants on Yelp using the kid friendly filter.

If you're bringing your own car seat, you shouldn't need to do anything special for taxi or Uber/Lyft.

TSA will let you bring things not normally allowed if it's for your kid, like a water or milk bottle larger than 3 ounces. Just put it through separately, tell them it's for the baby, and they'll usually do an extra check on it that takes a few minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to say Congratulations on your growing family! I remember when you started posting and how you mentioned a baby might be coming along soon, and now you are traveling with baby and spouse, which is great! Are you going to visit the Tom Bihn shop in Seattle?

I want to echo what others have said, that TSA usually is supportive and understanding about baby supplies. At the airport in San Francisco when you fly out, there is often a family line which takes a bit longer as people have strollers, baby seats, many bags, but the staff have in my experience been understanding. They may ask to scan your liquids, but they will not put anything into the liquid itself, just scan it with a light wave. Definitely bring a fleece jacket or equivalent for all three of you, as the temperatures drop when the sun goes down in San Francisco.

The Earth, we share.
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G42 View Post
    Welcome to the west coast!

Unless you have TSA Pre-check/Global Entry or one of the pre-registered paid services (ClearCheck or whatever it's called), you'll probably have to go through normal security at the airports.
    It depends on what terminal and security entrance you use, how busy it is, etc. on whether there are extra lines and/or they shuffle you to a separate line.
    Leave plenty of time to negotiate the airport & security. Note that TSA has increased the number of electronic items you will probably have to remove from your bags, so pack accordingly:
    https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/20...urity-measures

Most US restaurants that are welcoming to families will have a high chair or booster seat.

I don't know about Uber, but you don't have to tell a Taxi that you have a child.

Plan on dressing in layers... the weather can be very changeable... and bring very comfortable walking shoes! Also note that the west coast is GENERALLY less formal and less dressy than other parts of the US, so depending on what you plan on doing, your packing should be easier. Especially if you're bringing a toddler...

Have fun with your planning and the trip!
    Thanks @G42!

Quote Originally Posted by teresapoet View Post
    Yes, most restaurants will have high chairs, but they usually don't have a tray and sometimes will have broken or missing strap buckles. Depending on how wiggly your kid is, you might have to occasionally have him on your lap. I find it useful to search for restaurants on Yelp using the kid friendly filter.

If you're bringing your own car seat, you shouldn't need to do anything special for taxi or Uber/Lyft.

TSA will let you bring things not normally allowed if it's for your kid, like a water or milk bottle larger than 3 ounces. Just put it through separately, tell them it's for the baby, and they'll usually do an extra check on it that takes a few minutes.

Thanks @teresapoet for the tips!

I hope I do not need to bring the Car Seat around. The main reason we are bringing the Car Seat along is for aircraft use. Eventhough he is coming 10 months old, he had over the allowed weight limit and aircraft bassinet length. It will be a big hassle to bring around Car Seat when city walking/traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Just wanted to say Congratulations on your growing family! I remember when you started posting and how you mentioned a baby might be coming along soon, and now you are traveling with baby and spouse, which is great! Are you going to visit the Tom Bihn shop in Seattle?

I want to echo what others have said, that TSA usually is supportive and understanding about baby supplies. At the airport in San Francisco when you fly out, there is often a family line which takes a bit longer as people have strollers, baby seats, many bags, but the staff have in my experience been understanding. They may ask to scan your liquids, but they will not put anything into the liquid itself, just scan it with a light wave. Definitely bring a fleece jacket or equivalent for all three of you, as the temperatures drop when the sun goes down in San Francisco.
    Thanks @GoStanford!
    Yes, definitely going to visit Tom Bihn Showroom. How can I not visit the Showroom. To be honest, I have yet to have anything else to visit that is as exciting as Tom Bihn Showroom. Also, I'm not sure I will be back visiting USA anytime soon and this could the once-in-a-lifetime trip. Definitely have to take up the opportunity to visit the Showroom when I'm in town!

Thanks everyone for your input. Will keep in mind.
    Solar/Yellow: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, SCB
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, PCSB, TC
    Olive/Green: A30NWS, SCBCanyon, SKIsland
    Mars Red/Red: SENordic, SKCanyon, DLBCCanyon, SCBDawn

BrainCell Size1 M4800, Cache 13"MBPR E7240

~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tips for traveling with Toddler around Pacific NW

+1 that you should expect high chairs, but not always with tray tables. We used to travel with a rubber tray that our son used as a placemat. It caught food he dropped. It let us pull a high chair right up to the table. I rolled it up in a plaster bag and kept it in my Daylight Backpack.

Also, you might consider a CARES harness for the flights. We brought our son home from Korea at 18 months. The harness let us fly safely without a car seat. I still use it three years later. The link below is for an American company, but I assume they’re available in other countries if you search for CARES.

Homepage

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulton View Post
    Also, you might consider a CARES harness for the flights.
    I second this product. We didn't fly with our kid till almost 2 years old and this harness was in regular use on flights till age 5 or so. It's compact, easy to use, and effective except for when they slither out the bottom or at least try to! At least at the time we purchased, it was the only FAA-approved harness, and it sure saved a lot of space carrying a car seat, such as in situations when we had a relative with a car seat waiting for us at the destination.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you'll need a car seat for taxis and Uber. Some taxis and Uber may have installed seats but it is unlikely.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Forum Member
    Mateh Binyamin, Israel
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a 10 mo I'd bring the kind of carseat that snaps into the stroller. Unless you're planning on sticking entirely to public transportation/walking, you have to have a carseat, and that's far and away the easiest solution. Even if he's very tall/heavy, there are plenty of rear-facing carseats these days that go up to 15 kg and snap into a stroller.