1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

European Travel - Pop Tote EDC?

Greetings, Everyone!

I am a pretty experienced international traveler, but I could use some advice. I'm going to Europe in May (definitely Italy, possibly England, probably Germany) with my husband. I like to pack light. I've got my packing list pretty much squared away, but I've been happily carrying my Pop Tote as my EDC here at home, and I was thinking about doing that when we go to Europe. It would be nice to have something like that where I could put things like a pashmina/shawl or other outerwear that I'm not wearing, as well as my usual stuff.

My one concern is museums. Would the Pop Tote be considered too large to carry through a museum? Do you think security might have an issue? I don't think it'll be a problem for the rest of the trip.

Thanks in advance!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends where you are -- both the country and the specific museum. However, I would assume that the Pop Tote is on the margin of acceptibility due to its size, and may have to be placed in a locker. (Though it's still a safer bet than a backpack of any dimensions, IMO.) A good plan would be to always have a smaller bag inside. The one item that has been universally accepted everywhere I've gone is my Small Cafe Bag, and I'd imagine that the Side Kick, Side Effect or Travel Cubelet would also be safe bets.

What it has going for it is that it looks more like a purse than a piece of luggage.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I’ve read, it seems that museums in Europe restrict bags to an A4 paper size (~8.25x11”) all other bags must be checked. I’m planning on using a PCSB for museum visits.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if you carry it on your shoulder tucked under your arm like a tote/handbag rather than in your hand like shopping bag, security would be less likely to question it.