Main TOM BIHN website
 
emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

  • Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Two ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad

    I just received my side kick and since I am not travelling until this summer, the best thing to do to shorten the wait is try packing it in different configurations!

    Airport/plane/train:
    Noise cancelling headphones
    Kindle
    Reading glasses
    Phone
    Snack
    Pen
    Epipen
    Passport and wallet

    I don't sleep while travelling so no eye mask or ear plugs or neck pillow necessary

    Two ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad-cfa0a96c-95b3-4213-8b9b-6bfa34f40f9c-jpeg

    On the street:
    Sun glasses
    Pen
    Phone
    Dictionary or phrasebook (or just a map)
    Snack
    Water
    Epipen
    Passport and wallet
    Maybe an umbrella??


    Two ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad-0a89ed4f-e08f-4571-b54b-ebea48c48dd8-jpeg

    What the “plane” packing list looks like from above

    Two ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad-1c508ca5-6474-418b-8ad0-42b8fbe561ec-jpeg

    If it gets too serious and I need a jacket, gloves, a hat, etc I can just switch to my fabulous S19 that also just arrived today!

    Thoughts? Comments?

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great! I just got back from an overseas trip, and used a SCB, which held a 9oz water bottle vertically, in addition to other essentials. I can't see your water bottle in the image, but if it fits that is great! You may want a charger/usb cable depending on how much you plan on using your phone while out and about. I rely use mine for everything, which eliminates the need for books and other devices.

    The S19 was my main travel bag for the trip, and also for my day bag for my two days in Paris, stomping around in the snow. It was brilliant at both jobs, and managed to hold everything (including my jacket!) when I was inside.

    Have fun on your trip!

  3. #3
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,413
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are Side Kick twins! I have that same combo.

    What about a small sunscreen, lip balm, pack of hand wipes, you know, those small pharmacy items that make a big difference if you suddenly need them.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaynie View Post
    Looks great! I just got back from an overseas trip, and used a SCB, which held a 9oz water bottle vertically, in addition to other essentials. I can't see your water bottle in the image, but if it fits that is great! You may want a charger/usb cable depending on how much you plan on using your phone while out and about. I rely use mine for everything, which eliminates the need for books and other devices.

    The S19 was my main travel bag for the trip, and also for my day bag for my two days in Paris, stomping around in the snow. It was brilliant at both jobs, and managed to hold everything (including my jacket!) when I was inside.

    Have fun on your trip!
    Thanks for the comment about the water bottle. With my previous bags, I used a foldable Vapur bottle similar to the one in the picture, and placed it sideways in the cross-body bag (I travelled with a Timbuk2 or travelon purse that could fit the whole length of the bottle). It never leaked over several years, so I assumed I would do the same here. However, since you mention using a smaller 9 oz bottle (aka a "250 ml" bottle), I am thinking I should get a "standing-up" bottle that could fit both in the SK and in the bottle pocket of my Synapse 19. There is nice info on what fits inside the bottle pocket of the synapse on this forum, so I just need to research which one also fits standing up in the SK...

  5. #5
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,413
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia View Post
    Thanks for the comment about the water bottle. With my previous bags, I used a foldable Vapur bottle similar to the one in the picture, and placed it sideways in the cross-body bag (I travelled with a Timbuk2 or travelon purse that could fit the whole length of the bottle). It never leaked over several years, so I assumed I would do the same here. However, since you mention using a smaller 9 oz bottle (aka a "250 ml" bottle), I am thinking I should get a "standing-up" bottle that could fit both in the SK and in the bottle pocket of my Synapse 19. There is nice info on what fits inside the bottle pocket of the synapse on this forum, so I just need to research which one also fits standing up in the SK...
    A 16oz/500ml wide mouth Nalgene fits in the Side Kick. The 12oz OTF kids bottle barely fits because it comes with the OTF cap which is huge, but the OTF cap is interchangeable with the standard wide mouth Nalgene cap so it can be flattened a bit. Note, the 16oz cap is not interchangeable with the standard wide cap!

    If anyone is at all interested in the different sizes of these bottles/capsI can measure them and post pics, I have both bottles mentioned above and the 32oz as well.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia View Post
    Thanks for the comment about the water bottle. With my previous bags, I used a foldable Vapur bottle similar to the one in the picture, and placed it sideways in the cross-body bag (I travelled with a Timbuk2 or travelon purse that could fit the whole length of the bottle). It never leaked over several years, so I assumed I would do the same here. However, since you mention using a smaller 9 oz bottle (aka a "250 ml" bottle), I am thinking I should get a "standing-up" bottle that could fit both in the SK and in the bottle pocket of my Synapse 19. There is nice info on what fits inside the bottle pocket of the synapse on this forum, so I just need to research which one also fits standing up in the SK...
    The bottle I used, is a 9oz. Simple Modern 'Wave' double walled bottle (bought from amazon) and actually fits into the side pockets of my S19, even when the rest is packed really full! I had difficulties removing anything from the water bottle pocket when the rest of the bag was full, however no problems when it was packed for a day bag.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully not too off topic: It took me a while to realize that I didn't have to lug around a large water bottle everywhere unless I'm in very hot climates or truly far away from a water source; most of the time, these do the job just fine, especially on flights. The smaller the bottle, the more likely I was to carry water with me and actually drink more fluids! That started a years long quest of messing around with foldable bottles, kid-sized Nalgenes, even mini-flasks before I found these: one of my favorite travel items -- my Tiger 200ml and 300 ml water bottles. So tiny and compact, you could pack TWO in a Travel Cube with a lot of room to spare. Nevertheless they retain heat as good as the much larger Hydro Flask, etc. bottles. From Japan, easy to get through eBay. They're not cheap, but they are high quality.

    Two ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad-20180217_145406-01-jpegTwo ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad-20180217_145244-jpgTwo ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad-20180217_145254-jpgTwo ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad-20180217_142707-jpgTwo ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad-20180217_142643-jpg
    Last edited by common raven; 02-17-2018 at 03:39 PM.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by common raven View Post
    Hopefully not too off topic: It took me a while to realize that I didn't have to lug around a large water bottle everywhere unless I'm in very hot climates or truly far away from a water source; most of the time, these do the job just fine, especially on flights. The smaller the bottle, the more likely I was to carry water with me and actually drink more fluids! That started a years long quest of messing around with foldable bottles, kid-sized Nalgenes, even mini-flasks before I found these: one of my favorite travel items -- my Tiger 200ml and 300 ml water bottles. So tiny and compact, you could pack TWO in a Travel Cube with a lot of room to spare. Nevertheless they retain heat as good as the much larger Hydro Flask, etc. bottles. From Japan, easy to get through eBay. They're not cheap, but they are high quality.

    Two ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad-20180217_145406-01-jpegTwo ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad-20180217_145244-jpgTwo ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad-20180217_145254-jpgTwo ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad-20180217_142707-jpgTwo ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad-20180217_142643-jpg
    Really cool. I will look for them in Japan this summer!


    Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Share
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    343
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if you're learning Spanish for Spain, you really need an Iberian dyneema instead of Nordic....

  10. #10
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,413
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Two ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad

    Quote Originally Posted by common raven View Post
    Hopefully not too off topic: It took me a while to realize that I didn't have to lug around a large water bottle everywhere unless I'm in very hot climates or truly far away from a water source; most of the time, these do the job just fine, especially on flights. The smaller the bottle, the more likely I was to carry water with me and actually drink more fluids! That started a years long quest of messing around with foldable bottles, kid-sized Nalgenes, even mini-flasks before I found these: one of my favorite travel items -- my Tiger 200ml and 300 ml water bottles. So tiny and compact, you could pack TWO in a Travel Cube with a lot of room to spare. Nevertheless they retain heat as good as the much larger Hydro Flask, etc. bottles. From Japan, easy to get through eBay. They're not cheap, but they are high quality.

    Two ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad-20180217_145406-01-jpegTwo ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad-20180217_145244-jpgTwo ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad-20180217_145254-jpgTwo ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad-20180217_142707-jpgTwo ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad-20180217_142643-jpg
    Your helpful pics and measurements are really tempting me to get a Tiger bottle. I just had another look for them on EBay. Have you seen the model with the flip lid?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/142700741517

    Edited to add: hmm... looks like the 200ml version might even fit in a Side Effect! Uh-oh. I might just have to get one. This forum is so enabling.
    Last edited by Cristina; 03-03-2018 at 03:29 AM.

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cristina,

    I have seen those, but I believe they may be a tad larger than the ones I have, which are screw on lids. I also actually prefer the screw-ons. The 200 ml fits in a Side Effect, even standing up (though standing up is a slightly tight fit). In the third picture, the 200 ml is inside the zippered Side Effect. Two ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad-20180308_104625_hdr-jpgTwo ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad-20180308_104642-jpgTwo ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad-20180308_104700-jpg

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Share
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imperator View Post
    I think if you're learning Spanish for Spain, you really need an Iberian dyneema instead of Nordic....
    Ha! I ordered my MCB in Nordic Halcyon partly because it'll be going to Sweden a lot!

  13. #13
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,413
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by common raven View Post
    Hi Cristina,

    I have seen those, but I believe they may be a tad larger than the ones I have, which are screw on lids. I also actually prefer the screw-ons. The 200 ml fits in a Side Effect, even standing up (though standing up is a slightly tight fit). In the third picture, the 200 ml is inside the zippered Side Effect. Two ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad-20180308_104625_hdr-jpgTwo ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad-20180308_104642-jpgTwo ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad-20180308_104700-jpg
    Thank you, that's really helpful to know about the different lids, and thanks especially for the photos of the 200ml version in a Side Effect!

    I think this would be a great addition to my SK/SE setup.

    Thanks again!

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Share
    New York City
    Posts
    242
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a gold mine of information this thread has turned out to be! Thanks common raven for showing us these Tiger bottles; the 300ml version has made it to my wishlist! I think it looks like the perfect size to slip into the side pocket of my S19. (Has anyone tried?)

    As a side note, have any of you seen the Memo Bottle? They are flat rectangular bottles sized from 750ml all the way down to 180ml and look like they would be a great fit in many Tom Bihn bags. I am thinking about trying one out.

  15. #15
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,413
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Two ways to pack a side kick for travel abroad

    Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    What a gold mine of information this thread has turned out to be! Thanks common raven for showing us these Tiger bottles; the 300ml version has made it to my wishlist! I think it looks like the perfect size to slip into the side pocket of my S19. (Has anyone tried?)

    As a side note, have any of you seen the Memo Bottle? They are flat rectangular bottles sized from 750ml all the way down to 180ml and look like they would be a great fit in many Tom Bihn bags. I am thinking about trying one out.
    I'm curious about those memo bottles too. If you get one please let us know what you think. (ETA: The A7 size (the 180ml smallest size) is the one I would want but it looks kind of hard to clean.)

    Agreed this thread has been great. I am intrigued by the 200ml Tiger but a bit price shy so instead I got an 8oz Nalgene travel wide mouth leakproof bottle to see if I like the size. The dimensions are similar to the Tiger 200ml but it holds over an ounce more and it is a quarter of the price of the Tiger (but it isn't insulated and has no fancy features).

    Haven't had a chance to test it yet (haven't been out with only my SK yet) but it should work a treat. It looks a bit boring, so I might put my TB sticker on it.
    Last edited by Cristina; 03-24-2018 at 12:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •