Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Packing for 2 weeks in a Synapse 19?

While waiting for my Synapse 19, I day-dreamed of using it as my one-bag luggage for a trip this summer, with the Side kick tucked inside when moving around and taken out on the plane and as my day bag once at destination. The trip is 16 days, with the first week being for work (but I do not need anything too formal, due to my field), and the second week sightseeing with family. It is a trip to Japan (Osaka-Kyoto-Tokyo) which means it will be quite warm, probably always above 25C and possibly reaching 30 C. I made a list while waiting for the famous bag and tried it when the beautiful S19 arrived.

TLDR: It works with what I was planning to bring, but there is no room for anything else. All space is used. No souvenirs, no just-in-case. My take home message is: I'll probably be using my Aeronaut 30, because Japan = nice paper and notebooks, food, etc (Muji!), I cannot think of not bringing back souvenirs.

So here it is:

What the Synapse looks like with all my stuff and the SK inside

Packing for 2 weeks in a Synapse 19?-img_2168-jpg

Cue the crappy picture taken in low light. I tried to keep stuff close to their designated pocket

Packing for 2 weeks in a Synapse 19?-img_2169-jpg

I filled the bag with the following:
    -Bottom pocket
    in a packing cube (A30 aether small, violet on pic, would probably use something smaller/more squishable)
    4 pair of no-show merino smartwool socks (+1 wearing)
    5 pairs of underwear (+1 wearing)
    1 bra (+1 wearing)
    Sleep mask

-Main pocket
    1-In a packing cube (A30 aether large, carbon on pic)
    1 long sleeve (+1 I'm wearing on plane)
    3 short sleeve
    1 pant (+1 wearing)
    1 skirt
    Pajama
    Also wearing: cardigan or thin jacket (it's 28 C!)
    Note: only one pair of shoes, obviously I'm wearing them *

2-Muji "hangable" small toiletry bag (dark blue on pic)
    Toothbrush (foldable)
    Floss
    Hair brush (foldable)
    Razor
    Q-tips
    Ear plugs
    Sewing kit
    Elastic hair band

3-Side kick bag (sitting on top for retrieval, as others have suggested on this forum)
    Kindle
    Epipen
    Reading glasses
    GF snack
    Pen
    Wallet
    Passport
    Phone (used as a camera also)
    Muji large cotton bag (Bose noise cancelling earbuds in case, Kindle cable, Iphone cable, USB plug)

-left pocket
    Clear 331 bag (shampoo in a small muji travel bottle, 100 ml toothpaste, travel size deodorant)
    Medication bag (the small stripped muji cotton bag) (Prescription meds, Tylenol, Gaviscon, Tylenol sinus and cold, Reactine, Alcool wipes,Various band aids, Q tips,,Sterile cotton pads, Ricola throat candy)

-right pocket
    Plastic cutelry
    Foldable grocery bag
    Foldable dirty laundry bag
    Foldable plastic water bottle (I'm still debating which one to bring?)

-water bottle pocket
    Umbrella mini
    Sunglasses

-Small front pocket
    Kleenex

So one can travel abroad with the synapse 19 even for 2 weeks (there is laundry involved but this will happen even with an Aeronaut 30) but all the souvenirs have to be in your head!

* I was testing if my large shoes (size 11 ) fit in the bottom pocket, they don't. My son was looking at me and asked what are you doing. I said "some people can fit shoes in there, I was testing" He said "why would people want to pack shoes?". It seems we raised him well for carry-on travel.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is amazing!!!

I’ve worked to continually cut my packing contents for years. Packing in a s25 for any length of trip has been doable...but going down to a s19 has remained elusive.

Impressive! Thanks for sharing.

Orange County, CA, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice packing list and photos @Nadia. I'm impressed that you are able to get business attire in there with all your other stuff. I agree that one bag international travel with the S19 can be done but it takes a lot of discipline to not pick things up along the way. I like to use my Halcyon S19 when I am doing recreational travel but my packing list has about half the amount of clothing as yours. I also add tools and supplies for laundry to my list. For business trips I use my trusty WF since I usually need dress shoes and a suit. I have a new SA that I may try on my next trip abroad to see if it can releive my S19 on those recreational trips where I don't want to be as restricted. Enjoy Japan!
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SKIMT I wondered if I could "go down" to a 19 L, and it seems I could, but this is still an untested packing list! Would I get annoyed at having to unpack all pockets or to remove the side kick to get to my clothes? I don't know. Would I be sad I can't bring anything back? Probably (but I could fill my husband's 38 L carry on!). I am "impressed" too by the capacity of the Synapse 19, it's amazing, but I don't know if I have the guts to actually do it Smilie

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimikor View Post
    Nice packing list and photos @Nadia. I'm impressed that you are able to get business attire in there with all your other stuff. I agree that one bag international travel with the S19 can be done but it takes a lot of discipline to not pick things up along the way. I like to use my Halcyon S19 when I am doing recreational travel but my packing list has about half the amount of clothing as yours. I also add tools and supplies for laundry to my list. For business trips I use my trusty WF since I usually need dress shoes and a suit. I have a new SA that I may try on my next trip abroad to see if it can releive my S19 on those recreational trips where I don't want to be as restricted. Enjoy Japan!
    nimikor, I am definitely not bringing any "business" clothes or shoes, which would necessitate at least an A30 in my view (or your WF). My skirt (the more "appropriate clothing I am bringing) can be rolled, as well as the nice tops (but they are nowhere near a business shirt and jacket in size). I don't know that anyone could bring a nice suit in that 19 liter bag. Or if it was winter, not sure I could pack everything also.

Thanks for reminding me that I forgot my laundry soap in the list! It's just an additional 100 ml bottle in my clear case but it's important.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia View Post
    I don't know if I have the guts to actually do it Smilie
    You can do it! You are inspiring me to keep trying. I told my wife, who also packs in a s25, and she said one word: “wow!”

Light packing is an addiction.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great list. I did 3 weeks in Europe with a Synapse 19. Mid trip, I sent a small box of souvenirs back home via snail mail. It was fun to receive it when I got home.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by conversa View Post
    This is a great list. I did 3 weeks in Europe with a Synapse 19. Mid trip, I sent a small box of souvenirs back home via snail mail. It was fun to receive it when I got home.
    Great idea! I checked and the synapse 19 is within the dimension of a personal item on Air Canada. This means that I could bring a whole carry on size bag of souvenirs on the way back Wink

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Alabama
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SKIMT View Post
    You can do it! You are inspiring me to keep trying. I told my wife, who also packs in a s25, and she said one word: “wow!”

Light packing is an addiction.
    Yes it is! I keep trying to see how small I can go. I even recently tried the no bag challenge for a weekend getaway.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you bring an expandable duffle to carry back souvenirs?
    Like this?
    Travelon Convertible Crossbody Duffel, Black, One Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ICD5U4S..._F5YJAbWC37Y43

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    fredletsTravels.com

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fredlet View Post
    Can you bring an expandable duffle to carry back souvenirs?
    Like this?
    Travelon Convertible Crossbody Duffel, Black, One Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ICD5U4S..._F5YJAbWC37Y43

fredletsTravels.com
    The last 2 times we went to Japan, we ended up buying some sort of duffel to bring back all the food, clothing and souvenirs Smilie So I should be proactive and put one of these in my husband's carry-on Smilie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia View Post
    The last 2 times we went to Japan, we ended up buying some sort of duffel to bring back all the food, clothing and souvenirs Smilie So I should be proactive and put one of these in my husband's carry-on Smilie
    You can use it as your personal item as well or a purse type thing. The organizer part isn’t lost when you expand it.

fredletsTravels.com

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have extensive experience with non TB cheap bags on travel, their rate of failure is very high. It is especially a concern if one is checking the bag.

Tom Bihn foldable duffle is the new and amazing Yeoman Duffel which folds into a Size 3 Travel Stuff Sack.

The very sturdy Yeoman Duffle comes in 4 sizes, it has been a lifesaver during a local move, last year

Blog post very rich in pictures and links about the Yeoman Duffle, including pictures of the Yeoman Duffle folded in the size 3 Yarn Stuff Sack https://blog.tombihn.com/yeomanfreudianslipreviews

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In reflection on my international trips, photos are the keepsakes I get the most out of on a daily basis; particularly those offhand street scenes that are uncomposed. I still have many from a trip to eastern Europe over a decade ago on my scrolling desktop background and slideshows on my computer. While I did buy a watch on my last international trip, the only souvenirs I bought were for the kids. I enjoy the photos much more.

One of the virtues of 1-bag travel is how easily it can be made into 2-bag travel on the fly, without requiring checking fragile items.

Forum Member
    New York City
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nadia, I wanted to thank you for your helpful packing list, as I just finished putting together my own list for a similar style of trip. It came in handy when trying to decide what I should pack in my own S19!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast