Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Indiana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel Coffee Setup

Hey Friends,

So I am a coffee snob, and I travel frequently with my Yeoman Duffel (which is amazing FYI). So I decided to start putting together the "ultimate" travel setup. Which quickly turned into an expensive, but in my opinion totally woth it setup, that fits nicely into my Large Yeoman Cube.

I was wondering what everyone else travles with, and of they have a good way of transporting beans. I am also in the market to find a mug that works better with my areopress!

A list of my gear

Aeropress- Best portable coffee system
    Metal Filter- No need to carry paper filters
    Prismo- Makes a great espresso shot
    Grinder- Have it set for a great Aeropress grind
    Gator Bean Holder- Use these to carry my loose leaf, but too small for coffee
    Scale- Great travel scale
    Tea Steeper- Makes a great cup of tea
    Timers- No need to worry about having my phone nearby
    Kettle- Totally collapsible, and works great for an Aeropress
    Thermostat- Great thermostat, but will probably be getting a new non powered one
    Hot Plate- Simple, and easy to use. Didnít want to rely on the hotel coffee maker
    Bag- Love Tom Bihn bags, they have great customer support too
    Sack- It can fit my grinder, Aeropress, beans, timers, tea steeper, tea, immersion heater, and jigger
    Thermos Cup- I am a huge Thermos fan, best product.

Not included in the photo is the
    Airscape- I donít really love traveling with this, but I canít find a better solution to carry 12oz of beans
    Immersion Heater- Havenít had a need to just travel without the hot plate yet
    Milk Frother- Started a keto diet, so I canít have milk
    Jigger- Hasnít arrived yet, but measures 20grams really easier

What I love is that I can pack a up my grinder, areopress, immersion heater, jigger, and some beans into my size 2 Stuff Pack and throw it in my backpack and go.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your setup is impressive. I just carry a collapsible kettle and aeropress with beans I grind right before I leave my house or that I get ground fresh at local coffee shops and take back to my hotel as I travel and I take my own tea/small steeper as well (I drink tea at night in the hotel). I have been thinking about getting an immersion heater but have read they don't work that well. I would like to get one to see for myself. I also take a collapsible silicone mug. I just use a generic small bag I got for free to put it in.
    Last edited by spcanf; 03-06-2018 at 09:25 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is true coffee geekery!

I'm not the hardcore yet...
    I have an Aeropress, but I bought it as a set and it came with a bunch of paper filters, so I'm holding off buying the metal one until I use up all the paper ones. I also bought a small stick thermometer to judge the temp of the water...
    The set I bought included a nylon zip pouch to hold everything, so that's what I've used so far. I mostly bought it to bring when I go to hostels or car camping, so I haven't had to try to pack it small for air travel yet. I grind beans just before leaving home and store them in a small reusable Ball canning jar, because I have the space when I'm traveling by car.

Vancouver, WA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please don't hate me or think less of me for this but I really like Nescafe Clasico instant coffee. I even use it at home a lot. It reminds me of European style coffee. It just needs boiling water. No getting rid of grounds or anything. Very tasty.

I prefer to drink coffee with cream, but when I travel, I put a few servings of coffee in a small travel bottle and add cinnamon, so if I don't have cream it still tastes great. I can mix a cup anywhere, as long as I can get hot water. And it works well cold, in a pinch. I can mix it hot or cold in my 12 oz Nalgene water bottle, too. In the hotel, I use either microwave or coffee pot to make hot water.

Having said that, my husband and I grind beans and use a French press at home. I mainly drink this on the weekend. During the work week, I stick with the Clasico.
    Last edited by sujo; 03-08-2018 at 09:53 AM.

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That must be a different kind of Nescafe to the Nescafe available in the UK. Our Nescafe instant tastes as if I added boiling water to an ashtray and drank that Travel Coffee Setup

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sujo View Post
    Please don't hate me or think less of me for this but I really like Nescafe Clasico instant coffee. I even use it at home a lot. It reminds me of European style coffee. It just needs boiling water. No getting rid of grounds or anything. Very tasty.

I prefer to drink coffee with cream, but when I travel, I put a few servings of coffee in a small travel bottle and add cinnamon, so if I don't have cream it still tastes great. I can mix a cup anywhere, as long as I can get hot water. And it works well cold, in a pinch. I can mix it hot or cold in my 12 oz Nalgene water bottle, too. In the hotel, I use either microwave or coffee pot to make hot water.

Having said that, my husband and I grind beans and use a French press at home. I mainly drink this on the weekend. During the work week, I stick with the Clasico.
    Adding cream or cinnamon will make most any coffee taste better Smilie

I did a semester abroad in the UK when I was in college and at the time, the only coffee we could get was instant... so those of us who were used to drinking it black and needed something to improve the taste, went in on a bottle of Kahlua to jazz it up. Hey, it was college!

Forum Member
    Bordeaux, Paris
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What collapsible kettles do people use?

BTW: I use the Aeropress metal filter and paper filter together.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the kettle I have used for 3-4 years with no trouble. It is not dual voltage - but there are dual voltage ones if that is what you are looking for.
    https://www.amazon.com/Useful-UH-TP1...apsible+kettle
    Last edited by spcanf; 03-18-2018 at 01:45 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel Coffee Setup

Quote Originally Posted by spcanf View Post
    It is not dual voltage - but there are dual voltage ones if that is what you are looking for.
    I don't know about other countries but you definitely won't need to bring your own kettle if you travel to the UK. Even the most bare bones places to stay will have a kettle. A kettle is probably the number one essential item over here.

ETA: this is more of a PSA than anything else, I know no one asked!