Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    The UK has some of the windiest weather in Europe, so I view a buff as essential if I am to keep my hair out of my eyes. Especially at the beach when it is frequently windy enough to blow a regular hat clean off your head..... visiting the beach is more of a bracing walk in the fresh air and an excuse for an ice cream than about sunbathing. I go every year on my birthday (in January) to blow away the cobwebs Planning a 12-day Europe tour - Synapse 19 Visual Packing List

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Hahaha yes actually what I had in mind when I wrote "the beach in winter" was "the beach in the UK".

I'm still not convinced though, as I would just wear a light winter hat instead (September-May), or my Tilley with a strap (June-August).

Do people who wear Buffs not like hats?

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were glad of our Buffs when we visited Boston in March 2017. I've also worn one as a hat when I've gone into town and it's been colder than expected.

They pack up so small (about the size of a pack of tissues) it's worth keeping one stashed away in the bottom of a bag. They can be worn as a hat, scarf, balaclava, hairband, wristband, blindfo.....maybe not! Planning a 12-day Europe tour - Synapse 19 Visual Packing List

Personally, I'd rather be warm and look silly than be cold and feel miserable.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gqb View Post
    The UK has some of the windiest weather in Europe, so I view a buff as essential if I am to keep my hair out of my eyes. Especially at the beach when it is frequently windy enough to blow a regular hat clean off your head..... visiting the beach is more of a bracing walk in the fresh air and an excuse for an ice cream than about sunbathing. I go every year on my birthday (in January) to blow away the cobwebs Planning a 12-day Europe tour - Synapse 19 Visual Packing List

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    Adding to this...not all Buffs come in psychedelic colors - I have one in black merino wool!

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    Wait, how? The beach in winter?
    I actually meant summer, when wind and salty air do a number on my hair. I do wear hats occasionally but havenít found one that can contain my curls.

For the beach in winter - in Boston - you need a MUCH warmer scarf and hat.
    Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Forum Member 3rdCoastHighlander's Avatar
    Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by common raven View Post
    Highlander, did find you needed a rain cover for the S19?
    I had wrapped a few electronics in ziplock bags, as well as my journal, just in case, and everything stayed dry. I'd dip under overhangs and into shops and cafes when the rain really came down. I stayed reasonable day as did my S19.
    Synapse 19, Black Halcyon/Island with multiple organizer accessories. Black Halcyon/Island Side Kick, 7-8 TB Shopping totes.
    Briggs & Riley CX Carry-on.
    "You can't have a narrow mind and a thick passport."- Pauline Frommer
    Travel is about the gorgeous feeling of teetering in the unknown.

Washington, D.C.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More love for the wool buff. My husband has one in black merino wool and I have an ibex version in dark gray. Bought them while we were living in Germany and found them to be an essential layer almost year round. Great as a neck warmer, headband, hat. When it was cold and I wore it as a neck warmer/cowl, I would throw a pretty scarf over it. So YMMV Smilie

Alabama
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have a Merino wool buff bought in Knoxville TN two years ago on my way to the smokey mountains. It has become absolutely essential as in my "always pack list". It's is light and dark gray striped.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, if they make it in smart black, grey and grey/grey stripes, the mind boggles as to why the promotional video features such hideous patterns/colorways. Like, that's it's USP? It burns your eyeballs to help keep you warm?

I also don't know why my local outdoors shop only stocks the ugly patterns (I have seen Buffs in person, I checked them out a while back because I love a clever accessory, and I was disappointed. The video made it even worse).

I can get on board with merino in nice darks and neutrals, but the colorways in the video need to go straight into the memory hole.

I don't think I will be getting one anytime soon but I appreciate everyone pointing out that they aren't all eye-searing.

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flaneuse View Post
    More love for the wool buff. My husband has one in black merino wool and I have an ibex version in dark gray. Bought them while we were living in Germany and found them to be an essential layer almost year round. Great as a neck warmer, headband, hat. When it was cold and I wore it as a neck warmer/cowl, I would throw a pretty scarf over it. So YMMV Smilie
    Agreed. The merino wool buffs are awesome. Great in the winter and just as good in the summer for protection.

The wool ones also seem to be longer than the standard synthetic material ones which is nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just wanted to say that I'm enjoying this thread. My son will be studying abroad in France his Junior year, and I'm planning to visit him over his winter break. It's almost two years from now though, and he thinks I'm obsessed! Researching one bag travel brought me to TB and the forums. Loads of great information like this will help me make smarter packing choices. Thanks!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    The wool ones also seem to be longer than the standard synthetic material ones which is nice.
    I've always wondered about this. I've debated a merino Buff forever, but I fear the infinite loop style will mean it's always either too tight or too loose for comfort.

Hampshire, UK
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw View Post
    I've always wondered about this. I've debated a merino Buff forever, but I fear the infinite loop style will mean it's always either too tight or too loose for comfort.
    I find the merino wool stretchier then the synthetic so feels very comfortable, neither too tight or too loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    I love my merino wool buff so much I got a second one. Then they came out with the insect-shield ones. While I like that feature, the merino wool one are much preferable to me. elisa

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw View Post
    100% merino fabric does not fray if cut carefully. Many many colours to choose from. All you would need is a rectangle of fabric in your preferred size. Then sew two sides together to form a tube. (Alterations shop or hand stitch, making sure to use stretch stitches) Or have the alterations sewer hem top and bottom for you as well.
    Last edited by bijoux; 04-06-2018 at 04:12 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bijoux View Post
    100% merino fabric does not fray if cut carefully. Many many colours to choose from. All you would need is a rectangle of fabric in your preferred size. Then sew two sides together to form a tube. (Alterations shop or hand stitch, making sure to use stretch stitches) Or have the alterations sewer hem top and bottom for you as well.
    I was just thinking today of sewing a neck warmer out of a cashmere shawl that got a couple of holes in it. While I am at it I can make a matching hat. I already have some yarn allocated to knitting a matching hat and neckwarmer, but I don't think one can have too many hats or scarves/neckwarmers.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast