Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Packing for a couple of days in France - bag security and TB love

I should start by mentioning I'm in the UK, so this is a matter of a few train journeys, not an international flight! My mum and I are going to pay a quick visit to a friend in Paris before traveling up to Amiens to pay our respects to my 2x great uncle, who was killed in the First World War 100 years ago on 1 April, so it is a little family pilgrimage. We wanted to visit on the actual anniversary, but as it falls on Easter this year, that wasn't practical.

Contrary to my habit, am trying to pack light. I have a new Fjallraven Greenland Top (20L) backpack, but have to admit, though I was seduced by the clean design and cheerful 'dandelion' colour, the tall shape, lack of roomy organisational pockets, and worst of all, lack of handy o-rings (which I lament in ANY bag that is not a TB, even my beloved Kipling bags), have led me to ditch my plan to give it a go on this trip. Partly because of all the cities in Europe, Paris is the one where I have both been uncomfortably aware of, and actually pickpocketed, in my pre-TB days. Only a couple of souvenir magnets and my UK rail pass from the outer pocket of a Jansport backpack, but it was a truly horrible feeling of violation, and has led me to embrace bag security. The Fjallraven has a drawstring top that is covered with a hood which you cannot secure from thieves. I don't mind that when in the country, but in an urban/travel context I want to know that no one can easily sneak a hand in my bag.

So the trusty red blend/wasabi S19 it is! The S19 zippers are placed in such a way that you can fasten three or four of them together on one combination lock, and a separate lock for the main compartment zips. I'm bringing my knitting (if anyone tries to steal that, they will be very sorry), and after trying various options always come back to the tall solar YSS. It protects the yarn, is very easy to see inside thanks to the bright colour, and the tall shape means it takes up minimum room in the bag. With that is the knitting tool pouch. I believe Eurostar do allow knitting needles on the train - if anyone knows different, please let me know before Monday! It's been ok in the past, when I've gone to Brussels.

Other TB bits and pieces that will be coming along for the ride in a suitcase are:

The small snake charmer for the chargers, cords, and converters.

A mini pouchkin to store earphones.

The stalwart 3D organizer cube for all manner of daily essentials.

The large spiff kit for toiletries.

A solar travel tray (the friend of the absent-minded/exhausted traveler).

Some packing cubes.

And finally a TB double carabiner (it was years before I discovered those existed!) and a Lulabop Qliplet for a bit of extra tethering flexibility (it has saved my bag from many ladies' room floors, and for that alone is essential).

I'm curious to hear what other forum members consider their travel essentials, be it in terms of bag/personal security, or organisation. Smilie
    So many bags. And I love them all.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as bag security, with the exception of phone wallet and passport, I never pack anything I can't "afford" to lose. Not necessarily monetary affordability, but general anything I would be devastated over the lose of or it would be impossible to replace. Then I don't worry too much. For wallet, I use an RFID Lewis and Clark one that I will either clip to my bra (ladies only on this one I guess) or on the inside of my pants. I keep travel pass in a zip pocket of my travel jacket along with any quick money, like 10 cash or so. I always leave my passport at the hotel or Airbnb apartment. You will never need it to walk around with. If you feel compelled to, make a color copy of you passport before you go and walk around with that. I like to be bagless and unencumbered when I travel during the day. I put a folding crossbody tote bag like Chico bags or sea to summit ultrasil into my pocket in case I need a bag later in the day, also for grocery stores as they do not have plastic bags in Europe. One last security measure is something I do even with domestic travel. I have a second way to pay, with debit card or credit card or such along with my passport card that I leave at the hotel/place I am staying. This way, should the worse happen, you will not be blowing in the wind freaking out. I started doing this when my sister thought she lost her ID in the virgin islands the day before we were supposed to go home. I typically do not carry more than $20 cash, I like to do everything by credit card. Keeps me in check! (And it's just easier). Btw this is as an American traveling in Europe, my Asia travel style is slightly different.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by melminimalist; 03-19-2018 at 12:05 PM.
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to admit that my most secure bags are not TB bags, but bags from other companies that are specifically designed for security and have rfid features, slash proof panels, locking zippers, etc.
    Luckily, I've only been (attempted) pickpocketed once, and that was while I was in the big city nearest to where I live.

Arizona
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Antonia,

Anything of value or importance I keep on my body. Unfortunately, TB doesn't make any security featured bags.

I only pack clothing etc in TB bags, and use Pacsafe branded purses, money belts, passport holders etc that contain RFID blocking material, Xomesh (anti-slashproof material lining), locking zippers, anti-cut straps etc.

Folks have tried but never succeeded. So, I know these Pacsafe bags and accessories work. I use these for everyday bags because theft can happen anywhere at any time.
    Western Flyer (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Large Cafe Bag (Org Halcyon/Wasabi), Parental Bag (used as a carryon), and Shop Bags (Org Halcyon, Iberian, Wasabi)

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skoobdo View Post
    I use these for everyday bags because theft can happen anywhere at any time.
    I tell myself that any place I'm visiting is somebody else's home (assuming I'm visiting a city). I don't worry overly much about security, but I also don't worry less about security.