Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Always Pack List"

While I try to never pigeon hole myself into a set amount of items for a trip, there are some things that I pack every time especially as their usefulness becomes apparent. These items have become something of a "always pack list". I got the idea to do a separate post on this subject from the buff discussion in "12 day visual packlist...". Curiosity has led me to post what I always pack and wondering in kind, what do y'all pack every time, intentionally or otherwise?

Always Pack List

Merino wool buff
    Double port USB charger
    Spork
    Empty plastic water bottle
    Mini pen
    Mini notebook
    Combo lock
    TB pocket travel pillow
    Sarong
    Bose earbuds
    Ear plugs
    Eye mask
    Ultra-sil reusable tote bag

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a master packing list in a Google Doc in categories that probabaly has 100+ items on it. It is everything I could every imagine taking. For each trip I copy and paste it into a new document and label it the name of the trip. As an example, I leave in 10 days for a lenghtly trip and I've called it "Spring 2018."

Once pasted, I go through each item and ask myself if I need it this trip or can I leave it out. I will do this 3-4 times over the course of a few weeks to make sure I only take what I really need.

As I find new items, or better ways to do things, I keep updating the master list.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a master list, and because I am a bit compulsive, I have the weight of each item and approximate value. That way I’m not surprised with an overweight bag at the airport.

Interesting to read your “always pack list” @meiminamalist . Mine is quite different. I keep a bag of toiletries packed. I also have a TT with misc. charging cords, headphones etc. ready to go. Other “always pack” items are kindle, travel binoculars, 1-2 merino wool tees, a sarong or scarf, and some sort of Scottevest jacket to wear during travel.
    Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Evernote app to keep both a master pack list and location/event specific pack lists... after each trip that's unique for what I packed, I update/notate my list for next time.
    Most of the basics that always go with me are merino socks & t-shirts, certain toiletries, and 'just in case' things like a small headlamp w/batteries, mini duct tape roll, emergency whistle, etc. I keep those items always packed (including duplicate sets in multiple bags) just for convenience sake.
    I've had 50%+ travel for work before, so I'm pretty good at knowing which of my clothes can travel well for certain climates... and generally only buy things that travel well...

Atlanta, GA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Such a wonderfully simple idea to have a master list! I have a bunch of different lists labeled for the type of travel, and sometimes separate ones for each family memberís needs, it can get a bit overwhelming. Iím definitely going to give the master list a try.
    Last edited by DeBru; 04-01-2018 at 07:23 PM. Reason: tYpoS
    current EDC- Black Ballistic Travel Cubelet with an Orange 152 COW. I have MANY pouches... My goal is 1 in every color 好的朋友

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's an interesting question. I assumed my list would be much longer, but when I reviewed the packing lists I keep from trips, these things are what they all had in common:

Wallet, phone, charger
    Soap, deodorant, toothpaste, lip balm
    Jeans, scarf
    Knitting
    Water and food
    Stuff to mitigate leg and ankle problems

All other clothes, personal care things, electronics, etc is dependent on the season, length of stay, mode of conveyance (car, motorcycle, plane), type of housing (tent, hotel, or spare room), and activities at my destination.

Also I love seeing that other people keep packing lists too!

Forum Member
    Kansas City, MO
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, too, keep my trip-specific lists in Evernote and usually just copy/paste the most recent one and modify it for the next trip. I should make a master list; here are the things that would be on it:

• Travel pill case*with medications
    • Noise cancelling headphones
    • Kindle*
    • Kindle charger
    • Apple Watch
    • Watch charger
    • Battery pack
    • iPhone
    • iPhone charger
    • Power cube
    • Sunglasses
    • ZipLoc bags
    • Bounce sheets
    • Sporks
    • Poncho
    • TB clear 3D cube as 3-1-1
    • Deodorant
    • Razor
    • Shaving cream
    • Toothbrush
    • Toothpaste
    • Lip balm
    • Eyeglasses cleaner
    • Handi-wipes
    • Salux
    • RePete packable sling bag
    • Wallet with license, TSA ID, cash & cards

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use Evernote to keep track of my packing list. I have a different list if I'm traveling with family versus traveling by myself for work.

The list changes as our needs change. The most recent addition to my own list has been an eyeglasses cleaning cloth.

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love posts like this--except when they manage to convince me to buy/pack more things LOL

I have a small Snake Charmer that stays packed with more travel-related always pack items... I pulled it out to make this list, and realized I've acquired some duplicates, so I need to thin out before my next trip:

• Eye mask and ear plugs
    • Tissues
    • Mini towel
    • Picnic blanket
    • Fork/spoon/chopsticks utensil kit
    • Spork
    • Corkscrew (without a foil knife, so it can fly)
    • Cork minimalist wallet
    • Sewing kit (I have 2 at the moment--not sure why)
    • Mini scissors (short enough to pass airport security--so far)
    • Assorted zip ties and gear ties
    • Flashlight (again 2 for no apparent reason)

Since my charger/cord bag usually has a headlamp in it, the two flashlights seem especially unnecessary.

Also, some things seem to be missing: I usually have duct tape in here, a whistle/compass, as well as pen and paper. I'm thinking they got shifted to my camping gear for a trip last fall and I forgot to move them back.

My toiletry (currently non-TB) and charger (mesh 3DOC) bags are pretty much always packed, and just move around between bags as needed, so I don't keep a list for them.

In terms of clothes, I have a couple of favorite t-shirts that I wear all the time at home and also take when I travel. I have a multi-color large, thin scarf that I also always take because it matches almost all my travel wardrobe. My current always pack travel pants are a pair of black jeans from Uniqlo.

And, I never leave for a trip without a fully charged and freshly loaded Kindle!
    Last edited by kathryn; 04-03-2018 at 06:24 AM.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares.Ē ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    New York City
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is actually interesting to me, because I don't have any "always" in my packing lists. I aggressively curate every time I pack to make sure what I'm carrying is perfectly tailored to each trip and I rarely ever take the same kind of trip in a year.

For example last year I (mostly with my SO):
    • island hopped in Hawaii (with Pilot and a small duffel)
    • drove to a cabin for a weekend (with Co-Pilot and a medium duffel)
    • camped on a farm (with Co-Pilot and a big duffel)
    • rode a supported week-long bike camping event (with S19 and a big duffel)
    • flew, then drove, to go backpacking in Tetons for the solar eclipse (with Co-Pilot for the flight/drive and a big duffel containing my backpacking pack)
    • went on a cruise visiting multiple islands (with Pop Tote and a rolling duffel)

No two trips were the same and barely even the bag. But a Tom Bihn bag made it to every trip!

Probably the closest to an Always Pack for me are:
    • inflatable travel pillow
    • buff
    • earbuds
    • flashlight
    • usb battery pack

But even then, they don't always make the list!

Forum Member
    Kansas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My master list is a spreadsheet that automatically syncs between my Mac, iPad, and iPhone. It has two checkbox columns called “Take” and “Packed”. I keep the list sorted so that the items I want to take that aren’t packed yet are on the top.

Other than the usual toiletries, my phone, and the iPad, the item that makes it on every trip is a large shop bag. Those are just too useful! It doesn’t always get used, but it’s available to be a personal item if I want to take or return with something extra that won’t fit in my normal personal item. I’ve also used it a lot to collect and carry laundry or food at my destination.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beyond the standard toiletry and tech basics, my more unusual Always Pack items include:

Travel Tray
    white noise machine
    mini flashlight
    headphone splitter
    a few binder clips
    couple of carabiners
    rubber bands
    compact foldable shopping bag
    plastic bags (zip top and grocery size)
    cocoa butter stick
    tweezers
    mints (for motion sickness)
    lemon drops (for dry mouth when water/bathroom opportunities are slim)
    microfiber turban towel (unless trip too short to bother showering)
    Handeze
    measuring tape (when dealing with airplanes)
    dust masks
    sun umbrella (even though the travel size is frankly pretty janky)
    mini notebook
    bandana
    eyeglass repair kit
    earplugs
    eye mask

Forum Member
    Sydney
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bring mints everywhere with me for motion sickness too!
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw View Post
    Beyond the standard toiletry and tech basics, my more unusual Always Pack items include:

Travel Tray
    white noise machine
    mini flashlight
    headphone splitter
    a few binder clips
    couple of carabiners
    rubber bands
    compact foldable shopping bag
    plastic bags (zip top and grocery size)
    cocoa butter stick
    tweezers
    mints (for motion sickness)
    lemon drops (for dry mouth when water/bathroom opportunities are slim)
    microfiber turban towel (unless trip too short to bother showering)
    Handeze
    measuring tape (when dealing with airplanes)
    dust masks
    sun umbrella (even though the travel size is frankly pretty janky)
    mini notebook
    bandana
    eyeglass repair kit
    earplugs
    eye mask

Philippines
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My core edc will always be in the pack list for an extended weekend or a longer term traveling. I just throw in my passport if I'm going international and leave the mini Victorinox and Gerber dime because - those pesky mini knives... Basically I can lose everything but that if need be and they all just fit in a tiny bag (sort of similar to the sidekick but with a lil bit of room). The rest of the staple items I'll add on will depend on the type of traveling I'll be tackling.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbc3585 View Post
    I bring mints everywhere with me for motion sickness too!
    Haha, landsman! *fistbump*

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast